U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 8,989 times

Advertisements

platte city is a really nice area...it's not far from us...they are also building a lot of homes here where we are, near smithville lake and surrounding areas here...

sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchlover View Post
You might want to try Platte City,Mo. It is an upcoming area. New schools about 45 min to Kc and 1/2 hour to St.joseph,Mo. Oh! and Snow Creek is not far away. Sorry,no oceans but you can go around Snowcreek and Lakes where you can take pictures of Geese,Eagles that come in. St.Joe has new shopping area and Kansacity has there big Malls but alot of people are trying to get away from that hustle and bustle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 02:42 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,096,064 times
Default Eyeing St. Joseph

Thanks to all of you for your informative feedback! My wife and I live in Santa Rosa, CA and want to relocate to or near St. Joseph in spring 2008. From all we've gathered about St. Joe thus far, it looks like a very attractive, affordable place with a lot of great history and a down-to-earth, more laid-back atmosphere.

I think our only concern might be some of the neighborhoods. In looking at the homes for sale on realtor.com, some of them are astonishingly cheap in price--less than $40,000 for quite a few of them. You may want to sit down when I tell you that the median price for a house in Santa Rosa is around $575,000 to $600,000, and that's with a small front and back yard and no basement! The St. Joseph city website mentions a number of homes that have been ordered either repaired or demolished for being too dangerous and uninhabitable. Would any of you know how prevalent this is throughout St. Joe, particularly between Hyde Park and the stockyards? I'm going to be visiting the area this coming September, so I'll have a chance to scope out the neighborhoods and other places there.

How are Hyde Park and Krug Park? Krug Park looks gorgeous in pictures. Are both parks considered safe--no drug dealers, alcoholics, gang members, etc?

Right now, we would make St. Joseph Plan A, with Liberty and Excelsior Springs tied for Plan B. Any feedback you can give me, especially on good/not so good neighborhoods in St. Joseph would be most appreciated! We would prefer buying an older two-story Victorian or bungalow to moving to a brand-new home, we think.

I was born and raised near St. Louis but have only seen Kansas City during our move here to California in 1986. My wife's a native Californian who fell in love with Missouri, especially the St. Louis outskirts and the eastern Ozarks as soon as she saw them on her first trip there in 2004. Our part of northern California boasts a lot of natural beauty, but it's becoming more and more superficial. Ridiculously expensive, horrendous traffic, and very hostile and intolerant to those who hold old-fashioned values and support our military. Like many posts I've read, my wife and I will not miss these characteristics of California when we move back to NW Missouri. We will both be thrilled to assimilate into whatever region we wind up moving to, and steadfastly avoid bringing with us the negative traits of the San Francisco North Bay area that make us want to move back to Missouri so much. Give us a chance and don't be afraid just because we're moving from California!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 8,037 times
Default Did you move yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgrinstead View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am going to St. Joseph at the end of September (28th to the 4th). I am going to scout out the area. My Wife, 13 y.o. daughter and I will move to the K.C or St.JoMO area within the year from Orange County California. If you have ever been to Disneyland in Califoirnia, then you hvae been a block from my house. Any way, we need OUT. I will be staying and K.C and have rented a car so I will be driving around looking a howes, towns etc. What should I make sure to see while I am in town? My hobby is photography (website www.tdgphotography.com) and I think that I need to be blown away with the beauty of the place to get me to give up on the SoCal beaches that are about 15 min from my current home.
TD,
Did you move to St. Joe yet? Or are you still looking for more information?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 AM

10 posts, read 38,961 times
Default Not Yet

WE are trying to sell our house in O.C. first. It has been a lot of work getting it ready. I have been out several times and love the Parkville area. If you go to Youtube and look up tdgrinstead you can see some of the photos that I took on my trip to the K.C. area...

Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times
We are moving to the KC/StJo area at the end of this summer. I am absolutely crazy about StJo and if we can find decent jobs there, we will definitely live there. Otherwise we'll probably end up working in KC and living somewhere between KC and StJo.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,989 times
yes, the home prices out there are out of sight! we moved here from california, almost 3 years ago...we lived in cerritos, near long beach...
sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Thanks to all of you for your informative feedback! My wife and I live in Santa Rosa, CA and want to relocate to or near St. Joseph in spring 2008. From all we've gathered about St. Joe thus far, it looks like a very attractive, affordable place with a lot of great history and a down-to-earth, more laid-back atmosphere.

I think our only concern might be some of the neighborhoods. In looking at the homes for sale on realtor.com, some of them are astonishingly cheap in price--less than $40,000 for quite a few of them. You may want to sit down when I tell you that the median price for a house in Santa Rosa is around $575,000 to $600,000, and that's with a small front and back yard and no basement! The St. Joseph city website mentions a number of homes that have been ordered either repaired or demolished for being too dangerous and uninhabitable. Would any of you know how prevalent this is throughout St. Joe, particularly between Hyde Park and the stockyards? I'm going to be visiting the area this coming September, so I'll have a chance to scope out the neighborhoods and other places there.

How are Hyde Park and Krug Park? Krug Park looks gorgeous in pictures. Are both parks considered safe--no drug dealers, alcoholics, gang members, etc?

Right now, we would make St. Joseph Plan A, with Liberty and Excelsior Springs tied for Plan B. Any feedback you can give me, especially on good/not so good neighborhoods in St. Joseph would be most appreciated! We would prefer buying an older two-story Victorian or bungalow to moving to a brand-new home, we think.

I was born and raised near St. Louis but have only seen Kansas City during our move here to California in 1986. My wife's a native Californian who fell in love with Missouri, especially the St. Louis outskirts and the eastern Ozarks as soon as she saw them on her first trip there in 2004. Our part of northern California boasts a lot of natural beauty, but it's becoming more and more superficial. Ridiculously expensive, horrendous traffic, and very hostile and intolerant to those who hold old-fashioned values and support our military. Like many posts I've read, my wife and I will not miss these characteristics of California when we move back to NW Missouri. We will both be thrilled to assimilate into whatever region we wind up moving to, and steadfastly avoid bringing with us the negative traits of the San Francisco North Bay area that make us want to move back to Missouri so much. Give us a chance and don't be afraid just because we're moving from California!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 PM

199 posts, read 1,051,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgrinstead View Post
WE are trying to sell our house in O.C. first. It has been a lot of work getting it ready. I have been out several times and love the Parkville area. If you go to Youtube and look up tdgrinstead you can see some of the photos that I took on my trip to the K.C. area...
Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing. I think NW MO is moving up on my list.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
We are moving to the KC/StJo area at the end of this summer. I am absolutely crazy about StJo and if we can find decent jobs there, we will definitely live there. Otherwise we'll probably end up working in KC and living somewhere between KC and StJo.
I wish you the very best in both your move and in your future employment! I've just started subscribing to the Sunday edition of the St. Joseph News Press, and continue to be very excited about how affordable real estate is there. I'm going to be there and other places in Missouri from September 18 through 25. I'd like to check out Plattsburg, too. My concern about Plattsburg is that it might be too small a town for us, and my wife doesn't drive. In every other respect, Plattsburg sounds like a great, charming little town. I can't wait to fly back and visit!

Sandi, if you come back and read this thread, any feedback you could provide me about St. Joe and Plattsburg (and other nearby places you think are worth mentioning) would be wonderful! I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to live in the south end of town (south of 229 near Hyde Park) so as to be a little closer to KC, or if it's better to live further north, between downtown and Noyes Blvd? Thank you so much! --Eric

Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times
That youtube video was really nice. You Californians better be good and not tell everyone about this area...we don't need a rush of people moving there and messing it all up! northbayeric, I can't imagine living in Plattsburg and not driving...StJo is probably a much better option, I know they have a bus system going around town at least.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM

Yeah, I think you get that kind of sentiment in places like Boise as well as a number of towns in Nevada and Arizona that are populated heavily by ex-Californians. Don't worry--the more snotty people in this area generally dismiss Missouri as flyover country that is too humid, has too many tornadoes, is totally flat (shows how much they know!), too icy and snowy in the winter, and is full of unsophisticated, backwards people. Those who are leaving California seem to be primarily from the LA basin. It'll be a long time before Californians relocate to Missouri in any significant numbers--of that I'm pretty confident. They're sticking to either the desert southwest or the Rocky Mountain west for the most part.

I was born and raised in Florissant, MO, and the whole time I've lived in Santa Rosa (since 1986), I've just never really felt a real connection to the community except for the church I attend. I don't think I've ever really lost my Midwestern roots. When I took my wife to Hermann last May, she was flabbergasted at how friendly and down-to-earth people were there. Everywhere else we traveled there was mostly the same way, but Hermann really stood out for its hospitality. One antique store owner invited us in to her shop, and within 5 minutes we were chatting with her like she was an old friend. We could have talked for hours with her were we not on a fairly tight schedule!

Once we move to St. Joseph, Liberty or wherever we wind up, I know we will have no problem adopting Missouri's best traits and not imposing California's worst traits on our new neighbors and community. Since we live in a manufactured house, it's not like we're going to singlehandedly drive up St. Joseph real estate prices to the point where people who have lived there for their whole lives can no longer afford it. We're just so ready to begin a new chapter in our lives and leave the San Francisco Bay Area behind us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri