U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 AM

97 posts, read 324,432 times

Advertisements

Northbayeric-
I thought you might be interested in this website.
It is a very active & success St. Joseph For Sale By Owner type site.
I know quite a few folks who have sold their homes through here and you get a nice cross-section of what type of property is available in the St. Joseph area. When we get ready to sell our home, we will be using it for sure.

http://www.aokhometours.com/

QUOTE:I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to live in the south end of town (south of 229 near Hyde Park) so as to be a little closer to KC, or if it's better to live further north, between downtown and Noyes Blvd?

As far as what part of town you want to live in.... it depends...
We live on the north end, not far from Noyes Blvd in a wonderful neighborhood. There are those that live in the "southend" they are called "southenders" and they have some very big PRIDE in their area. There is a slight clash between some in the southend and those in the north.

Some there tend to be hyper critical of government and change of any kind. Seems the northenders are more progressive and are just fine with change. It also seems that those on the north (and east) side of town are professional, career folks with families. They also tend to have a higher percentage of people who are transplants to St Joseph and have thouroughly embraced the beauty of this City and it's history.

Southside folks have lived here forever and will tell you if you want anything new in this town or want to change anything, that you should just go back where you came from, cause everything is fine the way it is!

However, having said all that... you would never be able to tell them apart... I'll give you an example...

A brand new shopping area has opened up north (on the north belt hwy) It has anchors like Sam's Club, Home Depot, Kohl's, Borders Books, etc....
In addition, many new restaurants have opened with several more on the way (famous daves bbq, olive garden, etc)
Now, when this new area was under development, the southsiders complained and loudly. They were "never going to step foot in those places!" "It was going to be the downfall of our community", etc.... those were the sentiments out of that end of town, even though the development was not near their homes, nor would it impede with their way of life.

Come to present day.... those stores are flourishing, and the restaurants are PACKED day and night.....It cannot be all because of people in the north. The folks from the south end are standing in line to get a table, just like everyone else.

So, other than the folks in the southend being very "vocal" about their convictions, they are very nice, very fine folks. They are very proud and take pride in their lifestyle, just like the northenders.

This town is large, but not like a huge metropolitan area (like KC or St Louis).
Like I said, we live on the north side, and it still only takes us 30 minutes to get to the KCI aiport, so I wouldn't worry about location as far as being close to KC...you should really just find a home in this community that you love. In a town this size, location to KC doesn't matter...everywhere is "close" to interstate access!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,096,064 times
Default Thank you so much!

StJoeFanatic, thank you very much for your input! I'll check out the website you mentioned, too. I'm saying it again--I am really looking forward to my trip back there in September. When I grew up in Florissant, I never got the chance to visit St. Joe; and a number of places my wife and I visited in SE Missouri last May were new for the both of us.

You don't notice it quite as much in Santa Rosa these days, but in the recent past, and in some nearby towns like Cotati and Sebastopol, many of the residents resemble the "southenders" you mention. We don't want any more growth! Those greedy developers! I'm only buying local (as they're driving around in their Toyotas and Volvos! )! I'll tell you though, there are a few places here where you can find two Starbucks coffee places less than 1,000 feet apart from each other. One is in a Safeway grocery store, and the other is on the other end of the shopping area. Just mention Wal-Mart to some of them, and you've just started the next world war almost!

You even saw a few "Welcome to California--Now Go Home" bumper stickers. It sounds like the St. Joe southenders as a whole get along with the changes that are taking place there; hopefully they won't scowl at my CA license plates too much until I make it to the Missouri DMV! "But I was born and raised in Missouri--honest!"

If you look at a map of northern California and look at Highway 101 between San Francisco and Windsor (about 10 miles north of Santa Rosa and 65 miles north of San Francisco), just know that the traffic ranges anywhere from very heavy to utterly horrendous until you get north of Windsor--and that's 7 days a week. It's a pretty drive, especially in March and April when the hills are green, but if you had to commute back and forth, you'd go nuts. That is why I was very concerned about I-29 between KC and St. Joe. But it sounds like I-29 (and I-229) is a total breeze in comparison unless you're in a blizzard or squall. I'm hoping to find work in town, but in the short run I'll probably have to work closer to KC.

Again, my thanks to you and Christina for your feedback!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
Default Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Thanks to all of you for your informative feedback! My wife and I live in Santa Rosa, CA and want to relocate to or near St. Joseph in spring 2008. From all we've gathered about St. Joe thus far, it looks like a very attractive, affordable place with a lot of great history and a down-to-earth, more laid-back atmosphere.

I think our only concern might be some of the neighborhoods. In looking at the homes for sale on realtor.com, some of them are astonishingly cheap in price--less than $40,000 for quite a few of them. You may want to sit down when I tell you that the median price for a house in Santa Rosa is around $575,000 to $600,000, and that's with a small front and back yard and no basement! The St. Joseph city website mentions a number of homes that have been ordered either repaired or demolished for being too dangerous and uninhabitable. Would any of you know how prevalent this is throughout St. Joe, particularly between Hyde Park and the stockyards? I'm going to be visiting the area this coming September, so I'll have a chance to scope out the neighborhoods and other places there.

How are Hyde Park and Krug Park? Krug Park looks gorgeous in pictures. Are both parks considered safe--no drug dealers, alcoholics, gang members, etc?

Right now, we would make St. Joseph Plan A, with Liberty and Excelsior Springs tied for Plan B. Any feedback you can give me, especially on good/not so good neighborhoods in St. Joseph would be most appreciated! We would prefer buying an older two-story Victorian or bungalow to moving to a brand-new home, we think.

I was born and raised near St. Louis but have only seen Kansas City during our move here to California in 1986. My wife's a native Californian who fell in love with Missouri, especially the St. Louis outskirts and the eastern Ozarks as soon as she saw them on her first trip there in 2004. Our part of northern California boasts a lot of natural beauty, but it's becoming more and more superficial. Ridiculously expensive, horrendous traffic, and very hostile and intolerant to those who hold old-fashioned values and support our military. Like many posts I've read, my wife and I will not miss these characteristics of California when we move back to NW Missouri. We will both be thrilled to assimilate into whatever region we wind up moving to, and steadfastly avoid bringing with us the negative traits of the San Francisco North Bay area that make us want to move back to Missouri so much. Give us a chance and don't be afraid just because we're moving from California!

We live in Liberty and our house is for sale, we are wanting to stay in Liberty. Recently in Money Magezine(?) Liberty was rated 67 out of a 100 for the best places to live. The schools are top rated schools. Some Missouri cities offer the A PLUS program which pays the 1st two years of college at any MO community college. Requirements are a certain grade point average, good attendance and some volunteer work. There may be a few other requirement, but those are the main ones. Liberty does provide the A PLUS, I don't know about St. joe or Excelsior.

Our house is a 3 bedroom, large fenced in backyard, finished basement and double car garage.

Good luck on your move......hope this helps!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 PM

114 posts, read 533,543 times
Default My wife was born here and we've lived here 8 years now

Quote:
Yeah, I think you get that kind of sentiment in places like Boise as well as a number of towns in Nevada and Arizona that are populated heavily by ex-Californians. Don't worry--the more snotty people in this area generally dismiss Missouri as flyover country that is too humid, has too many tornadoes, is totally flat (shows how much they know!), too icy and snowy in the winter, and is full of unsophisticated, backwards people. Those who are leaving California seem to be primarily from the LA basin. It'll be a long time before Californians relocate to Missouri in any significant numbers--of that I'm pretty confident. They're sticking to either the desert southwest or the Rocky Mountain west for the most part.

I was born and raised in Florissant, MO, and the whole time I've lived in Santa Rosa (since 1986), I've just never really felt a real connection to the community except for the church I attend. I don't think I've ever really lost my Midwestern roots. When I took my wife to Hermann last May, she was flabbergasted at how friendly and down-to-earth people were there. Everywhere else we traveled there was mostly the same way, but Hermann really stood out for its hospitality. One antique store owner invited us in to her shop, and within 5 minutes we were chatting with her like she was an old friend. We could have talked for hours with her were we not on a fairly tight schedule!

Once we move to St. Joseph, Liberty or wherever we wind up, I know we will have no problem adopting Missouri's best traits and not imposing California's worst traits on our new neighbors and community. Since we live in a manufactured house, it's not like we're going to singlehandedly drive up St. Joseph real estate prices to the point where people who have lived there for their whole lives can no longer afford it. We're just so ready to begin a new chapter in our lives and leave the San Francisco Bay Area behind us.
My wife was born here and we've lived here 8 years now Unless you are in a very specialized field -there are few jobs here above the minimum wage and those that are try to pay just as close to the minimum as they can. We are selling out and moving to Norman Oklahoma - where there's a booming economy and lots of jobs and numerous small towns to live in - Norman itself is St Joseph sized. We all have the tornado risk but after having lived in Ca and AZ 12 years each - we'll take that. The illegals are just too dangerous. We've been chased on 3 jogging tracks and out birdwatching in Arizona - plus happening on a developing gang war in a peter piper pizza place in mesa. If they ever get it all straightened out we'd like to go back but that's not likely.

We lived in St Joseph and my wife comutted to Kansas City for 1.5 years - to a pretty good job as an insurance Account Manager. Now gas prices take that option off the table. For awhile we had an rv parked in KC and she just came up on weekends - while I stayed at out house and worked on our websites.

St. Joseph is not a good place to live in our view.

MajorHart

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM

82 posts, read 254,826 times
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your informative feedback! My wife and I live in Santa Rosa, CA and want to relocate to or near St. Joseph in spring 2008. From all we've gathered about St. Joe thus far, it looks like a very attractive, affordable place with a lot of great history and a down-to-earth, more laid-back atmosphere.

I think our only concern might be some of the neighborhoods. In looking at the homes for sale on realtor.com, some of them are astonishingly cheap in price--less than $40,000 for quite a few of them. You may want to sit down when I tell you that the median price for a house in Santa Rosa is around $575,000 to $600,000, and that's with a small front and back yard and no basement! The St. Joseph city website mentions a number of homes that have been ordered either repaired or demolished for being too dangerous and uninhabitable. Would any of you know how prevalent this is throughout St. Joe, particularly between Hyde Park and the stockyards? I'm going to be visiting the area this coming September, so I'll have a chance to scope out the neighborhoods and other places there.

How are Hyde Park and Krug Park? Krug Park looks gorgeous in pictures. Are both parks considered safe--no drug dealers, alcoholics, gang members, etc?

Right now, we would make St. Joseph Plan A, with Liberty and Excelsior Springs tied for Plan B. Any feedback you can give me, especially on good/not so good neighborhoods in St. Joseph would be most appreciated! We would prefer buying an older two-story Victorian or bungalow to moving to a brand-new home, we think.

I was born and raised near St. Louis but have only seen Kansas City during our move here to California in 1986. My wife's a native Californian who fell in love with Missouri, especially the St. Louis outskirts and the eastern Ozarks as soon as she saw them on her first trip there in 2004. Our part of northern California boasts a lot of natural beauty, but it's becoming more and more superficial. Ridiculously expensive, horrendous traffic, and very hostile and intolerant to those who hold old-fashioned values and support our military. Like many posts I've read, my wife and I will not miss these characteristics of California when we move back to NW Missouri. We will both be thrilled to assimilate into whatever region we wind up moving to, and steadfastly avoid bringing with us the negative traits of the San Francisco North Bay area that make us want to move back to Missouri so much. Give us a chance and don't be afraid just because we're moving from California!
St. Joseph is not a bad place. I live in KC but I know lots of people there. I come up that way often. There are a couple parts of St. Joseph that aren't the most desirable areas but it's pretty safe there for the most part. Avoid living around Messanie and such. While I was a corrections officer for the state most of the inmates from St. Joe tended to be spawned in that area.

St. Joseph is shockingly cheap for one reason really. There just aren't hardly any good paying jobs there. Very few people living there can afford a huge mortgage. It was a very booming place at one time but outsourcing labor to foreign countries took it's toll on the ol' gal. Unless you're in the medical field or something you're gonna probably have to make the half hour commute to KC for a good job. That happens quite a lot up there so you could probably find a group from there that you could split the cost of fuel with if you hire on at a big place.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 21,476 times
Default Don't live in St. Joseph, MO.

St. Joseph, MO. is a horrible place to live. There are no jobs and no real future for your kids in a community that doesn't favor economic progression. I have lived in the city now for 32 years, and I'm moving within the next three months. To some, the city is okay, but as far as I'm concerned, life is way to short to be miserable.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,173,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckey View Post
St. Joseph, MO. is a horrible place to live. There are no jobs and no real future for your kids in a community that doesn't favor economic progression. I have lived in the city now for 32 years, and I'm moving within the next three months. To some, the city is okay, but as far as I'm concerned, life is way to short to be miserable.
Lot's of places are seeing a lack of jobs. I'm in Ca. still and the job market stinks. I have a 20 y/o son who is having a hard time finding a job. The jobs that used to exist for kids ( I have a 17 y/o also) just don't exist here any more either. We have a LOT of vacant buildings and businesses that have gone.

St. Joe has some excellent qualities as well as some things that need worked on. My biggest issue has been the level of vandalism and thefts that occur because of lack of respect for other people's property and lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri