Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:45 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,621,149 times

Advertisements

Just where did that feller go anyway, he git tired of making friends here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM

200 posts, read 445,170 times
He probably found a more explosive audience to troll..... that or his grandma needed her computer back to shop for cameos and rare piggy banks on ebay. ^_^ I know those types.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Just thought I would share with ya'll what I have in my stewardship now-- I've got a yearly lease on a 10 acre parcel (with a 4 bedroom mobile) 45 minutes out of Phoenix. I provided my own animal fencing and cultivated the garden plot from scratch.

This is what the soil looks like when you first break ground.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/duskybeauty/2011-07-23_18-14-50_769.jpg (broken link)

Now, they may not be as pretty as Ozark rocks, but its the best we've got here in the territory formerly known as Mexico!

This is how my garden looks now (I planted in April. I should have planted in Feb here.) It's pretty overgrown with bermuda grass right now. It's regularly 115 here during the day and I nearly passed out from heat exhaustion harvesting my last batch of sugar peas, so I'm skimping on the weeding.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/duskybeauty/2011-07-23_18-19-09_911.jpg (broken link)

From this plot I have harvested sugar peas (10 lbs), probably in excess of a hundred pounds of Zucchini and about a dozen watermelons just about ready with more produce coming along including that dwarf sweet corn you see, a lot of pumpkins, some cukes, and some honeydew and cantaloupe in different patches.
I was told after I started that you "can't" grow corn in summer, and I "can't" grow tomatoes because they burn up and die. I can assure you that each of those corn stalks has good ears on it, and that I have tomatoes in my fridge (and my bushes still producing.)

This is the lot next door, approx 10 feet away from my veggie plot.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/duskybeauty/2011-07-23_18-20-36_76.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,550,396 times
OK, I was wrong about you. The pictures prove it. That's a pretty desolate place, and you've managed to do well with your garden. The soil here is rocky and poor, but you ought to be able to grow lots of stuff to sell at the farmers markets. Has your husband checked the hospital at Rolla? Google Phelps County Regional Medical Center. (We don't have a mall or a Starbucks, but apparently you don't need either one. You might turn out to be a better Ozarker than many of the natives.)

Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Just where did that feller go anyway, he git tired of making friends here??
He was invited to leave.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,621,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
He was invited to leave.
Ahh I remember when I was a kid, Had an Aunt over in Dudley who was bothered by some fella, He got invited to leave too...........

Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
OK, I was wrong about you. The pictures prove it. That's a pretty desolate place, and you've managed to do well with your garden. The soil here is rocky and poor, but you ought to be able to grow lots of stuff to sell at the farmers markets. Has your husband checked the hospital at Rolla? Google Phelps County Regional Medical Center. (We don't have a mall or a Starbucks, but apparently you don't need either one. You might turn out to be a better Ozarker than many of the natives.)
Thanks for the compliment Ozark, this is actually the first serious garden I've ever done, I tried last year in containers and a bed I conditioned but I was expecting our third child at the time and the heat + my condition was a little too much for me.

I'm sure you're sick of the city people coming in here who have seen pictures of the Lakes and hardwoods and read the Laura Ingalls books and think they know the Ozarks. I've seen people expecting a paradise in oregon, and no jobs when they get there. We have always been lucky, by the Grace of God. My spouse is one of those hard working guys who has never had trouble getting a job, keeping a job, and not too proud to work.

Anyway-- I've been reading that top soil is really thin in some locations, so I suppose if I have to I can do raised beds no problem, and I'll probably put emphasis on soil PH that supports good graze over table crops like veggies and berries (demands of both are really different.)

I have investigated Phelps county hospital, and it looks like a good prospect. I've also looked into the hospital in Houston, which seems to be connected to all the rural ambulance depots (I'm not sure if it staffs them, or if the ambulance company does though.)
I don't know much about Rolla, Licking or Houston yet though, other than it's position on the map. I don't think I've been to an actual mall in about 4 years(?) I'm too cheap for starbucks (and the mall for that matter) but I really would like to know if there's a Tractor Supply Company Store?

Hubby and I agreed he would apply everywhere we could live with that had a full time opening, accept the best offer, rent something just big enough for our minimum needs as near to his job as we could find, and then look for the homestead around the job.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
Thanks for the compliment Ozark, this is actually the first serious garden I've ever done, I tried last year in containers and a bed I conditioned but I was expecting our third child at the time and the heat + my condition was a little too much for me.

I'm sure you're sick of the city people coming in here who have seen pictures of the Lakes and hardwoods and read the Laura Ingalls books and think they know the Ozarks. I've seen people expecting a paradise in oregon, and no jobs when they get there. We have always been lucky, by the Grace of God. My spouse is one of those hard working guys who has never had trouble getting a job, keeping a job, and not too proud to work.

Anyway-- I've been reading that top soil is really thin in some locations, so I suppose if I have to I can do raised beds no problem, and I'll probably put emphasis on soil PH that supports good graze over table crops like veggies and berries (demands of both are really different.)

I have investigated Phelps county hospital, and it looks like a good prospect. I've also looked into the hospital in Houston, which seems to be connected to all the rural ambulance depots (I'm not sure if it staffs them, or if the ambulance company does though.)
I don't know much about Rolla, Licking or Houston yet though, other than it's position on the map. I don't think I've been to an actual mall in about 4 years(?) I'm too cheap for starbucks (and the mall for that matter) but I really would like to know if there's a Tractor Supply Company Store?

Hubby and I agreed he would apply everywhere we could live with that had a full time opening, accept the best offer, rent something just big enough for our minimum needs as near to his job as we could find, and then look for the homestead around the job.
Raised beds are going to be your best bet, I have to do that here in FL, and amend, amend, amend the soil, as its very poor.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM

You know you're a farm girl at heart when you are contemplating the logistics of leaving behind your plasma tv and bedroom furniture, but moving your compost cross country....

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
You know you're a farm girl at heart when you are contemplating the logistics of leaving behind your plasma tv and bedroom furniture, but moving your compost cross country....
Goats would be the answer to that.
Lots of poo, weed control, poo breaks down fast and is pretty much ph neutral, and you get milk, too!
We love our goats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri