U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM

296 posts, read 1,093,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
I live in Troy Mo, one hour south of Hanibal, I go into Forest Park, downtown St. Louis to run on the weekends, it takes me 50 minutes, so Hanibal is a far drive to down town. I heard the LaGrange college in Hanibal was really good though. When we drive home to QC Illinois, we go to Hanibal and the traffic is always congested.

Why would you go in to Forest Park to run??? You have a great park, Cuivre River State Park, right in Troy, MO, with all kinds of trails. That's in your backyard!

I ran the Quivering Quads 50k there back in 2003. Very, very nice park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 22,486 times
Default Hannibal area roads.

As I posted on another thread, I just returned from a visit to Hannibal this last Wednesday (Dec 12, 2007 arrived in Hannibal). On the way in I came through St Louis on I-70........and the stretch between just before the Miss. river going West into St Louis from IL, through St Louis on over to the US61 exit north to Hannibal (about 40+ miles) was comparable to the very worst traffic and driving conditions I have experienced in my entire life which includes driving in horrible traffic all over the world while stationed in many third world countries all over the globe during a 30 year military carreer. Conversely, US61, 65MPH to clarify, was beautiful. Perfectly maintained, never more than moderate traffic and excellent countryside too. The traffic in Hannibal was not bad except when I entered town on 61, then the big trucks were a bit of hassle in the rain, but never any other time. Going out East to Springfield on the interstate or up to Quincy the roads were excellent too, and traffic was not ever dense. I would not have taken the routing through St Louis on I-70 and didn't go back that way but I followed mapquest routing to Hannibal so I was a bit naive going in - I won't take that route again, though. I don't know why my own personal experiences seem to differ from that of other posters I seem to find, but it sure does. Sometimes I think people have other issues in play and seem to be pretty far off, IMV. Regards to all, nonetheless.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:33 PM

64 posts, read 350,571 times
Hannibal is a great place to live and raise a family; it's better than most other small towns. The public school system is actually good, and there are a lot of amenities for a town its size. Better yet, the cost of living and housing is extremely low.

The original poster asked about crime and drugs. Violent crime in Hannibal is low. The crime index of 488.2 on this site is misleading because the only crime that Hannibal has a significant problem with is theft -- the pettiest of all the crimes reported in the crime statistics. Ask me, I'd rather have my stuff stolen than be a victim of violent crime...

Drug use is not rampant in Hannibal, but the drug problem is relatively significant for a town its size. There have recently been a lot of drug arrests reported by the local news. At one point, there was a meth lab in the local Wal-Mart. However, heavy drugs such as heroin and LSD are virtually non-existent.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,424 times
Message to Clint: Meth is a "heavy drug." Actually much worse than anything else out there.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
Lol I think all of these are funny Hannibal is a TERRIBLE place to live! I have lived there all my life and it is getting worse! Drugs are everywhere they are always busting meth labs and heroin is all over the place. The crime rates are higher than state and national averages and have been for over 10 years. There is a lot of corruption in the court systems and police department and I have heard of cops taking payoffs from drug dealers! The schools are not very good either. There is absolutely nothing to do that's why kids do drugs. I haved moved to Palmyra 7 mi away and its wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri