Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 37,928 times

Advertisements

Is Hannibal a good place to live? How is the area? Crime? Drugs? How are the schools? Thanks for your help. My mom's family is from there, haven't been there for years, but I have very fond memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 AM

134 posts, read 590,543 times
wanting to know the same thing need a change from where were living at now . i looked on hannibal and found it interesting and wanting to know how long of a drive to there to st,louis is too.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM

17 posts, read 105,550 times
I live in Troy Mo, one hour south of Hanibal, I go into Forest Park, downtown St. Louis to run on the weekends, it takes me 50 minutes, so Hanibal is a far drive to down town. I heard the LaGrange college in Hanibal was really good though. When we drive home to QC Illinois, we go to Hanibal and the traffic is always congested.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 18,315 times
I posted a really long post about the Hannibal, MO area on this forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...tml#post203542

Hope that gives you all of the info you need

St. Louis is 2 hours from Hannibal, MO

here is another post of mine that pretty much sums up the area:

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...tml#post203542

Last edited by Marka; 12-11-2006 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM

17 posts, read 100,792 times
Having worked in the North Central Missouri area for a couple of years, I've been to Hannibal many times. There really isn't much to see or do in Hannibal. It's a pretty isloated town on a bluff in the middle of nowhere. It's at least 120 miles between Hannibal and St. Louis, and most of that will be on state highway 61, which isn't exactly high speed. The only interstate anywhere near Hannibal is I-74, and it dead ends into Hannibal from the east. Springfield, IL is probably about an hour and a half away on I-74. Quincy, IL is a similar town about 30-40 miles north, but there's not too much going on their either. Also, like most smaller towns in MO, theres quite a bit of meth and other rural drugs. All in all, you'd be better off living closer to St. Louis.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 PM

63 posts, read 212,535 times
haha...sorry...I had to laugh about being better off living closer to St. Louis because of rural drugs in small towns. Big city drugs might be better? lol...so sorry...not making fun....it just struck me funny. As for Hannibal being a good place to live, I would have to say yes it is. It's small town friendliness and I think that is what small town USA is. Quincy, Illinois is a short distance away for shopping. St. Charles is about an hour and 15 minutes south for a lot MORE shopping. Mark Twain Lake area is huge and primitive for summer fun and fishing and enjoying nature. I have spent a lot of time in and near Hannibal with family and have always enjoyed going there.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 20,087 times
Default St. Charles over an hour away....

From Louisiana to St. Peters, it takes about 45 minutes going Hwy.69, then 70. It's exactly 58 miles from my driveway to my daughter's grandma's house in Louisiana. The drive could be faster if you didn't have to slow down and then stop in so many small towns (if you'd actually CALL them towns!) along the way.
All there is to do in St. Charles county is go shopping (money) or go out to eat (money). There is absolutely NOWHERE to go for a quiet walk in the country or to get peace and quiet. When you take a walk here, you get to walk through subdivision after subdivision and look at all the same houses every day. It's BORING. I've lived here since 1989 and I'm planning on moving to Hannibal or outside the area ASAP.
You can have the restaraunts and the mall. All I need is a WalMart supercenter and a Lowe's or Home Depot. Keeps me from spending money just to get out of the house.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLove4MO View Post
Having worked in the North Central Missouri area for a couple of years, I've been to Hannibal many times. There really isn't much to see or do in Hannibal. It's a pretty isloated town on a bluff in the middle of nowhere. It's at least 120 miles between Hannibal and St. Louis, and most of that will be on state highway 61, which isn't exactly high speed. The only interstate anywhere near Hannibal is I-74, and it dead ends into Hannibal from the east. Springfield, IL is probably about an hour and a half away on I-74. Quincy, IL is a similar town about 30-40 miles north, but there's not too much going on their either. Also, like most smaller towns in MO, theres quite a bit of meth and other rural drugs. All in all, you'd be better off living closer to St. Louis.
The road from Springfield to Hannibal is actually I-72. I-74 goes from the IL. border through Chambana, Peoria, to the Quad Cities.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLove4MO View Post
Ummm...you must not have seen the Interstate 72 signs when you were in Hannibal...Interstate 72 runs right into Hannibal and is currently being extended west of there. Also, the Avenue of the Saints is a pretty decent highway. Btw, somebody also said that it took them 50 minutes to get from Troy to St. Louis. That surprises me....I've gotten to Hannibal in about an hour and a half , and my starting point was basically about two miles west of Forest Park. Highway 61 not high speed? the last time I drove on it, the speed limit was either 60 or 65 mph, not sure which. I think a lot of the roads in Missouri and Illinois have speed limits which are too low. illinois interstates should have speed limits of 70 mph, and I am hoping that once I-64 is upgraded to modern interstate standards that they raise the speed limits to 60 mph. 55 mph is just way too low IMO for a speed limit on an interstate or highway when it is in a rural area.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 AM

40 posts, read 262,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
I live in Troy Mo, one hour south of Hanibal, I go into Forest Park, downtown St. Louis to run on the weekends, it takes me 50 minutes, so Hanibal is a far drive to down town. I heard the LaGrange college in Hanibal was really good though. When we drive home to QC Illinois, we go to Hanibal and the traffic is always congested.
Congested?? LOL....... the traffic is busy for a lil town.... but i've Never seen a real traffic jam in Hannibal EVER.... please drive I-270 southbound around 5pm any weekday in the STL if you'ld like an example of what congestion is.....

oh and.... from the dead heart of Hannibal, to the northern outer burbs of the STL metro- the Lake St Louis area, is right at an hour and a half..... to downtown (assuming zero traffic) would be right at 2 hours.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri