Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 AM

320 posts, read 610,569 times

Advertisements

^ That is not an uncommon perception of MO, even within the US. And MO can do something about it, by NOT BEING BAPTISTAN!!!!!!! It is not hard to do. Just listen to whatever the GOP leadership says and what the religious right says, and do exactly the opposite. In a generation, the entire state could maybe not suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,973,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
Most of those places you just named have been having issues with crimes the last few years. Holly Hills for example you would hear about shootings, Wash Ave has issues too etc.

While I have a conceal carry permit I still will not go into most places in the city. It's just not worth taking a chance being a victim. Other than sportings events I stay clear of the city.
I understand this. Why others don't, even if it's not for them, is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
^ Paranoid! Unless you're a poor black male under 25 and somehow involved in gangs/drugs, your likelihood of being the victim of a violent crime is extremely low.
Although I spend time in my city, I understand his perspective. It makes sense. Try actually thinking about what he is saying and from his perspective. Not everybody is enamored with urbanity. If you take away the fact you find urbanity alluring and appealing, then is it really worth the additional risk of going into the city for things you can get elsewhere? No. And, yes, crime can happen anywhere, but there is most certainly a higher chance in the city, especially a city like St. Louis.

As far as who you are affecting your chances of being the victim of a crime... uh, aren't you forgetting being robbed, carjacked, caught in crossfire, "knockout game'd", etc.? It's fairly unlikely, sure, but it's still more likely in the city than elsewhere. And, again, if there's no allure in urbanity, why would that person go to the city or spend time there when it requires taking a higher chance and having to be more wary of your surroundings? Some people like to exhale and not be so wary and not have random people asking them for stuff, etc., along with the peace of mind of low risk.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,973,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That was 15 minutes I'll never get back (I fell asleep the other 15 minutes, it was on late at night).

What a terrible show. So fake, so boring. Wow.

Meet the Truck Stop Crew - Travel Article - Travel Channel
I haven't seen the show, but it's probably not as fake as you think. Perspective is everything when it comes to a lot of stuff like I'm assuming is shown on this show. For example, a police officer sees things in cities where they work that others simply are unable to see and many of which they wouldn't even believe. Same for highway patrol officers and highways. Same with truckers and truck stops. TV shows do tend to exaggerate, but still, it's probably not as fake as you think.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 PM

260 posts, read 586,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I understand this. Why others don't, even if it's not for them, is beyond me.

Although I spend time in my city, I understand his perspective. It makes sense. Try actually thinking about what he is saying and from his perspective. Not everybody is enamored with urbanity. If you take away the fact you find urbanity alluring and appealing, then is it really worth the additional risk of going into the city for things you can get elsewhere? No. And, yes, crime can happen anywhere, but there is most certainly a higher chance in the city, especially a city like St. Louis.

As far as who you are affecting your chances of being the victim of a crime... uh, aren't you forgetting being robbed, carjacked, caught in crossfire, "knockout game'd", etc.? It's fairly unlikely, sure, but it's still more likely in the city than elsewhere. And, again, if there's no allure in urbanity, why would that person go to the city or spend time there when it requires taking a higher chance and having to be more wary of your surroundings? Some people like to exhale and not be so wary and not have random people asking them for stuff, etc., along with the peace of mind of low risk.
That's why I don't go anywhere without packing heat and I stay out of IL because they don't have conceal carry.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM

70 posts, read 120,315 times
Being originally from Boston and then living on the SW coast of Florida for the past 17 years, I must admit I was a little apprehensive about how rural MO would be when I visited back in April. (I went to Sedalia). I honestly expected hicks and rednecks as far as the eye could see. In reality I found a charming area full of genuinely friendly people. I was shocked by how polite drivers are there! Of course Florida is Road Rage Central so go figure!

Lesson learned, don't judge a book by its cover (or a stupid reality show).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri