Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The average annual snowfall here is a paltry 50 inches, so definitely not the Snowbelt like Michigan. I do have easy access to the Northwoods which is very nice. If you look on google maps my favorite spots are the Eagle River chain of lakes in Eagle River and St. Germain area, Vilas county- close to the UP of Michigan. Now that place is cold and is more Canadian in feel than a good chunk of Ontario! It's an interesting place to visit, though.
I've dealt with the heat and humidity as I am from KC. The worst was 108F with a heat index of 118F. At that point I realized I didn't like the heat and humidity at all and looked for places that featured a milder climate.
I think it hit 107 or so this summer in Cape. I think that's the highest temperature I've ever been in, but it was a fairly dry heat. I think the higher humidity in the bootheel keeps the temperatures down a bit since KC has a much higher record high.

And I'm used to average annual snowfall being at about 10-12 inches. Rolla gets a bit more snow though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
You can't find any regular coffee places anymore, they are all ate up with trying to be like starbucks and charge you 2.50 for a regular black coffee. Speaking of coffee, time to brew me some up. I have a lot of work to do here tonight in ole Boringtown aka Rolla. I would like it more up here if I actually lived outside of town but when you are a college student you deal with what you have to.
I'd go to a truck stop or a hospital cafeteria (at about 0000 hours, during the day they usually don't sell the "night shift go juice" to the general population) if I wanted cheap black coffee. Truckers and doctors are the notorious for staying up forever and cheap black coffee lets them do it. The coffee machine breaking is a major emergency at those places!

Quote:
And I heard that about STL and KC being too far north. I freeze my tail off here and it's in south central MO. I think it is the wind in the wintertime more than anything. I don't think Southeast Missouri gets as much wind as Rolla and it sure as heck doesn't get as cold in the wintertime, especially when you talk about wind chill.
Come and visit up in eastern South Dakota, that is a whole new definition of cold and windy. A 20 mph wind on a -10 F day is pretty typical up there. 50 mph wind and -30 F is what they consider cold and windy. There is simply nothing to stop the wind- fairly flat land and very, very few trees. The wind is much, much worse than the cold and it is around all year long. You would be surprised at how unpleasant it is to be outside in a 30 mph wind even when it is otherwise nice out. I have lived in Wisconsin and it's really no windier than Missouri as the topography is roughly similar. WI is about as cold as SD but much more tolerable due to the relative lack of wind.

Missouri's weather is a little rough in the summer but overall it is pretty darned good compared to most of the rest of the Midwest. Winters are very mild, spring and fall are very nice, and there really isn't any time of the year you can't be outside at least part of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
You're bored with our town because we don't have a Target or Starbucks?
I generally get bored with places that DO have a Target and a Starbucks, because those places are cities and don't have much to do. I like outdoor activities and two trees in a half-acre park isn't exactly "the outdoors."

Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
I'd go to a truck stop or a hospital cafeteria (at about 0000 hours, during the day they usually don't sell the "night shift go juice" to the general population) if I wanted cheap black coffee. Truckers and doctors are the notorious for staying up forever and cheap black coffee lets them do it. The coffee machine breaking is a major emergency at those places!

Come and visit up in eastern South Dakota, that is a whole new definition of cold and windy. A 20 mph wind on a -10 F day is pretty typical up there. 50 mph wind and -30 F is what they consider cold and windy. There is simply nothing to stop the wind- fairly flat land and very, very few trees. The wind is much, much worse than the cold and it is around all year long. You would be surprised at how unpleasant it is to be outside in a 30 mph wind even when it is otherwise nice out. I have lived in Wisconsin and it's really no windier than Missouri as the topography is roughly similar. WI is about as cold as SD but much more tolerable due to the relative lack of wind.

Missouri's weather is a little rough in the summer but overall it is pretty darned good compared to most of the rest of the Midwest. Winters are very mild, spring and fall are very nice, and there really isn't any time of the year you can't be outside at least part of the day.

I generally get bored with places that DO have a Target and a Starbucks, because those places are cities and don't have much to do. I like outdoor activities and two trees in a half-acre park isn't exactly "the outdoors."
Well like I said, Rolla is windy compared to where I come from in Southeast Missouri. SE Missouri might be the exception to the rule in Missouri though when it comes to wind speed. I'm not sure.

And I have me a coffee maker so I usually rely on that for my go go juice

Old 11-10-2014, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,797 times
Don't pick Rolla. Ew! Okay, Rolla, MO is a city of poop. There is nothing to do except play with the poop. Everywhere you go you are surrounded by desperation and despair. The buildings look like a giant took a dump repeatedly all over the town. If you touch anything in Rolla you better hope you have a full bottle of hand sanitizer ready. Why are there so many pizza places that I have never heard of before? Is the only thing to do eat pizza, repeatedly, until you vomit? I am no engineer. So, I have a life. One in which I don't gain 700 pounds from pizza until I die. I have no desire to buy everything from Walmart for my wardrobe. I would rather cutoff my own toes than live in Rolla, MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri