Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM

62 posts, read 249,104 times

Advertisements

I realize I'm fairly new to this, but I just wanted to brag a bit on my son. He just graduated high school in February (finally! ), enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, completed boot camp in May, and is now stationed at Twentynine Palms, California. He tells me he will go to Iraq in March, which absolutely breaks my heart, but we all knew he'd end up there when he enlisted. On the 4th of July as I watched the James River "I Love America" fireworks show, my heart absolutely melted. I called my son and left him a message and told him that Independance Day would never hold the same meaning for me now that he is fighting for our country. As you all pray for each other's struggles, please remember our troops overseas and the moms and dads over here wondering if they'll ever see their son or daughter again. It's so horrible over there, and I don't even want to think about all the things that he will experience emotionally (at the young age of 19) that most of us will never see. I missed my son's 18th birthday (in March) because he was at boot camp. I will most likely miss his 19th birthday because he'll be in Iraq. I'm truly not ready for him to go. Here is a picture of me and my son when he was on leave in May. Proud to be an American in Missouri....-mom-marine-luke-16kx12k.jpg His name is Luke, if you don't mind to keep him in your daily prayers. Right now he's having fun sowing his wild oats & hangin' with the Marines, but soon reality will smack him in the face....and hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times
Thumbs up God Bless Luke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmyers74 View Post
I realize I'm fairly new to this, but I just wanted to brag a bit on my son. He just graduated high school in February (finally! ), enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, completed boot camp in May, and is now stationed at Twentynine Palms, California. He tells me he will go to Iraq in March, which absolutely breaks my heart, but we all knew he'd end up there when he enlisted. On the 4th of July as I watched the James River "I Love America" fireworks show, my heart absolutely melted. I called my son and left him a message and told him that Independance Day would never hold the same meaning for me now that he is fighting for our country. As you all pray for each other's struggles, please remember our troops overseas and the moms and dads over here wondering if they'll ever see their son or daughter again. It's so horrible over there, and I don't even want to think about all the things that he will experience emotionally (at the young age of 19) that most of us will never see. I missed my son's 18th birthday (in March) because he was at boot camp. I will most likely miss his 19th birthday because he'll be in Iraq. I'm truly not ready for him to go. Here is a picture of me and my son when he was on leave in May. Attachment 6586 His name is Luke, if you don't mind to keep him in your daily prayers. Right now he's having fun sowing his wild oats & hangin' with the Marines, but soon reality will smack him in the face....and hard!
You tell Luke there's a lot of people that are indeed grateful that he's willing to serve. I know a bit of how it feels...my daughter is being stationed in Afghanistan later this month. Navy. I didn't even know Afghanistan had an ocean.

I will tell you, the military has been really good for my little Michelle. She's become one tough buff part of the machine! (Pride.)

Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Thank you SO much, L.J.! I know the Marines will make a man out of him and toughen him up...although he seems to be fighting that every step of the way (has a hard head like his pop!)

Old 08-17-2007, 02:32 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,619 times
Thumbs up Thank you Luke!

psmeyers74,
You bet I'll add Luke and YOU to my prayer list! Please thank him for me for what he is about to do....without young men and women like him this would be a far different place to live in. Blessings to him...

O.Nana

Last edited by Ozark Nana; 08-17-2007 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: can't spell today..

Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,414 times
We will deffinatly keep Luke in our daily prayers. I could'nt imagin how it must feel letting them go. We have no choice. I cried for two weeks when my son and daughter went to preschool. I felt they had no right taking my kids and telling me I could'nt stay. " what do you mean I have to go home?, I don't know you people. give me back my child." They are still young. I try to prepare myself for choices they are going to make. At least your son and your daghter L.J made a decision he and she can be proud of.
Its why I joined the reserves in "93" I wanted adventure, yes, I also wanted to make my mom proud and be an example for my younger bros.
Maybe you both can keep us posted on thier progress. If they would like people to write them. I would be glad to. I remember some of my friends were sad because they did'nt get to many letters from home. I would ask my cousins to write them. This was only during schooling. I couldnt imagin being overseas for a few years with few letters. It means a lot to the moral.
I know you both already know that , just thought I could offer somthing to help. I will praying for both of you and your's.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks so much. My son is so funny about mail. He begged for it during boot camp, but now I can't seem to get him to confirm his mailing address at Twentynine Palms. My family keeps asking me for it, but maybe one of these days!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:04 PM

61 posts, read 257,436 times
Just came across your post dont normally look in this part of the forum. Let your son know that we in Ohio support our troops and thank him for his service. God Bless.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmyers74 View Post
I realize I'm fairly new to this, but I just wanted to brag a bit on my son. He just graduated high school in February (finally! ), enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, completed boot camp in May, and is now stationed at Twentynine Palms, California. He tells me he will go to Iraq in March, which absolutely breaks my heart, but we all knew he'd end up there when he enlisted. On the 4th of July as I watched the James River "I Love America" fireworks show, my heart absolutely melted. I called my son and left him a message and told him that Independance Day would never hold the same meaning for me now that he is fighting for our country. As you all pray for each other's struggles, please remember our troops overseas and the moms and dads over here wondering if they'll ever see their son or daughter again. It's so horrible over there, and I don't even want to think about all the things that he will experience emotionally (at the young age of 19) that most of us will never see. I missed my son's 18th birthday (in March) because he was at boot camp. I will most likely miss his 19th birthday because he'll be in Iraq. I'm truly not ready for him to go. Here is a picture of me and my son when he was on leave in May. Attachment 6586 His name is Luke, if you don't mind to keep him in your daily prayers. Right now he's having fun sowing his wild oats & hangin' with the Marines, but soon reality will smack him in the face....and hard!
awesome pic there "mom of a United State Marine" !! Thank your son Luke for his service to our country for me! I am raising the daughter of a Marine that gave his life for our country when she was just two and I pray for our military members deployed all over this world every day.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:48 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,094 times
Thumbs up Semper Fi!

You two are sure a good-looking mother and son in that picture! You bet that we'll all give Luke our complete, unswerving support and prayers as he works to preserve our liberties here and try to give the Iraqis a better way of life post-Saddam.

My youngest nephew (on my side of the family) is named Luke, too!

My brother-in-law Noah (one of Mrs. Northbayeric's younger brothers) is a Chief Warrant Officer 2 in the Army, and went to Iraq about a month ago for his second tour of duty (he was in Afghanistan a couple of years ago). He flies those large Chinook helicopters. Earlier this week, we had heard that one of them had crashed in Iraq and killed everyone on board. We subsequently found out that Noah was at the base where the crash took place. He's alive and physically uninjured, but some of his closest fellow troops perished in the crash.

So to Luke, Lake Junkie's daughter Michelle, my brother-in-law Noah, and all our other men and women who wear the uniform, we will remain ALWAYS FAITHFUL and supportive of you! May you be successful in carrying out your mission, and be able to come home to a grateful country soon.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Thanks to your son, for his service to our country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri