Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times

Advertisements

Sad that it's going away, but I don't see how it's really all the viable anyway. I've taken Amtrak numerous times. (One trip to Portland Or from St. Louis during the mid 90's), several grade school trips to Jefferson City, and a few times during college. Nothing ruins your plans like waiting for a train that's late, or being stuck on the tracks while you wait for a freight train to pass...especially when that freight train is more than an hour away from your current train. One trip from St. Louis to Warrensburg took a RIDICULOUS 8 hrs, when it would have taken 3 hrs to drive it!

Personally, i don't think that Amtrak should receive federal money just to keep afloat. Business principles would state, that if there's a need and ability to make a profit, the private industry will provide the service. There are some jobs that the Federal Government should do, however, providing rail travel to the general public, really isn't one of them.

I'm sure if it was viewed as being potentially profitable, someone would have built their own set of high speed rail lines between St. Louis, and Kansas City, or St. Louis and Chicago...and we wouldn't be waiting on governmental support to build a 90 mph "high speed" rail...gah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Nothing ruins your plans like waiting for a train that's late, or being stuck on the tracks while you wait for a freight train to pass...especially when that freight train is more than an hour away from your current train. One trip from St. Louis to Warrensburg took a RIDICULOUS 8 hrs, when it would have taken 3 hrs to drive it!
That pretty much describes it.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Sad that it's going away, but I don't see how it's really all the viable anyway. I've taken Amtrak numerous times. (One trip to Portland Or from St. Louis during the mid 90's), several grade school trips to Jefferson City, and a few times during college. Nothing ruins your plans like waiting for a train that's late, or being stuck on the tracks while you wait for a freight train to pass...especially when that freight train is more than an hour away from your current train. One trip from St. Louis to Warrensburg took a RIDICULOUS 8 hrs, when it would have taken 3 hrs to drive it!

Personally, i don't think that Amtrak should receive federal money just to keep afloat. Business principles would state, that if there's a need and ability to make a profit, the private industry will provide the service. There are some jobs that the Federal Government should do, however, providing rail travel to the general public, really isn't one of them.

I'm sure if it was viewed as being potentially profitable, someone would have built their own set of high speed rail lines between St. Louis, and Kansas City, or St. Louis and Chicago...and we wouldn't be waiting on governmental support to build a 90 mph "high speed" rail...gah.
Good luck with gettin anyone in DC to listen to that! lol

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Good luck with gettin anyone in DC to listen to that! lol
Obama was all about high speed rail in 2009.

Obama Seeks High-Speed Rail System for U.S. - NYTimes.com

I'm not hearing too much about it now.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:50 PM

20 posts, read 70,634 times
But Amtrak's ontime rate now beyween Kansas City and St. Louis is right around 92 percent now. It drastically changed in the last few years as the govt started fining Union Pacific for delayed passenger trains. Up until then, UP had no financial incentive to help keep Amtrak trains on time. I take Amtrak frequently beyween KC and STL and love it.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
This budget would only endanger the state lines , not the Interstate lines. I think Every state should establish a state Rail network , Missouri should first build the Full build St. Louis plan , then work on the Kansas City plan. Once those are complete , join the 2 and you will have the first successful line. If there are connecting transit services in both KC and STL people will use the line more and by more I mean at least 15,000-25,000 Daily Trips.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately there are tight rules which make it hard for Private to get into the Rail business. Outside the Northeast its even worse , although inside the Northeast its different. If the rules were removed then Amtrak and just about every Passenger Rail operation could be profitable but the Feds seem to have no interesting in removing the rules. The Airline Industry and Big Oil are behind some of it and the Grid lock in Washington is behind the rest. Several attempts to repeal the rules have failed.... I think our Rules should based on the European or Australian system which would allow for private to come in and operate the networks and expand them....or reduce the staffing requirements...

Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^This is my uhnderstanding as well, but I wish I knew more about it. Do you know of any good resources for learning more?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^This is my uhnderstanding as well, but I wish I knew more about it. Do you know of any good resources for learning more?
There isn't one blog that talks about the issue....but you'll notice from time to time it pops up....

Streetsblog.net

Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Why are trains supposed to make a profit without subsidies, but roads, bridges, airports etc not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri