Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
onegoal, this monument is for the confederate soldiers from Cape so of course there were.

And the spray paint was accurate in the sense that EVERY state is in the Union! I thought it was 2011?

I don't know enough about Rolla to comment about it so I'll leave it at that. I've heard bits and pieces during my stays here.
Wiki will give you the cliffnotes. Basically they sided with the South after Ft Sumter and raised a Confederate Flag in place of a American Flag. That is until the Union army arrived of course and took the flag down.

Read about the "Kingdom of Callaway" if you want more indepth info. It's not Rolla, but gives you an idea how towns sided.

Btw Jefferson Davis after the war visited Missouri and went to Callaway County and was very popular by the locals in the area when he gave his speech at the county fair.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Btw men from Cape did serve in the Confederate army, and they also had their own company as well.

The dummy who did the spraypainting was accurate to an extent because there was a battle in Cape Giradeau, and the union took the city and occupied it for the rest of the war. So yes it was a Union City.

Rolla was the same way too. It decided to side with the Confederacy until the union moved in and took the town due to its important location because of the railroad.

One must wonder if Cape and Rolla was not held by the Union if MO would have been under complete confederate control because Sterling Price could have more easily got men up the MS river, and up thru Rolla, and attack St. Louis easier and cut the supplies off.
Good heavens, by that logic, why arent the Whigs bowed up and spray painting the Liberty Bell of the West because Kaskaskia was captured by the Americans (George Rogers Clark) from the English in 1778??????
Onegoal, you really need to lay off this monomaniacial bent of yours about the South, Missouri, and the Civil War.
Its aint healthy.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
The only thing I see lower than some low life, belly crawling coward sneaking around at night, and showing their true bravery by assaulting an inadament rock and desecrating a war monument.....

is someone else using just such a despicable act to start another tirade of history twisting and rambling incoherent 'what if ' nonsense.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
The only thing I see lower than some low life, belly crawling coward sneaking around at night, and showing their true bravery by assaulting an inadament rock and desecrating a war monument.....

is someone else using just such a despicable act to start another tirade of history twisting and rambling incoherent 'what if ' nonsense.
Things won't be good for the vandal(s) if they get caught, that's for sure....

As for the second sentence.... lol

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Celebrating Treason doesn't ring a lot of bells for me. What will happen in 2014 and 2015 when all of the celebrations are Union Victories

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Celebrating Treason doesn't ring a lot of bells for me. What will happen in 2014 and 2015 when all of the celebrations are Union Victories
I have been very fortunate in life in that I have an exhaustive genealogical list that has been researched, with many lines of my family arriving on the North American continent when it was still under British rule. Included in this list of names, are a number of what you would call, and I am proud to claim, 'traitors'. A traitor is typically defined by the victor of any conflict, and while it used to be a term designating 'an individual assisting a foreign country in an attack against a persons own homeland' - today it is more often used by politician's in describing those who disagree with their political views.

I had one 'traitor' die at Valley Forge, had another die at the Second Battle of Bull Run, or Second Manassas. The only difference being one fought for the victor in the formation of a new country, and the other fought for the loser in a similar attempt.

The point of this thread, irregardless of those who would like to turn it into yet another political debate, is that in the case of both my ancestors, right or wrong in my or your eyes politically or morally, and irregardless of whether I or you agree with their choices in life, both sacrificed their lives for their cause and the formation and maturing of our great nation. A monument to that sacrifice deserves our respect.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Treason?
Really?
No dear, its called history.
Oh, and thanks for calling my ancestors who are honored by this memorial "traitors".

Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Years ago I went up to Cape (from Fort Worth at the time) to interview for a position. The person I was interviewing with had said of the area that "everything south of Cape is culturally and geographically in the South, but Cape Girardeau itself is more Midwestern". My own superficial observations in spending a weekend there prior to the scheduled interview seemed to me at the time to confirm that (I might have different perceptions now). It did at the time seem very bland and Midwestern to me. I decided it was too bland and too small and drove back to Texas prior to the interview. Anyway, what do people here think? Maybe a bit like Delaware, a loyalist state during the Civil War but one in which there is a single Confederate monument on the courthouse square of the geographically southernmost of this little state's three counties?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Years ago I went up to Cape (from Fort Worth at the time) to interview for a position. The person I was interviewing with had said of the area that "everything south of Cape is culturally and geographically in the South, but Cape Girardeau itself is more Midwestern". My own superficial observations in spending a weekend there prior to the scheduled interview seemed to me at the time to confirm that (I might have different perceptions now). It did at the time seem very bland and Midwestern to me. I decided it was too bland and too small and drove back to Texas prior to the interview. Anyway, what do people here think? Maybe a bit like Delaware, a loyalist state during the Civil War but one in which there is a single Confederate monument on the courthouse square of the geographically southernmost of this little state's three counties?
I don't think you experienced much of the city. Cape is slightly more Midwestern I agree, but it doesn't really fit into either category. The southern half of Cape is like a completely different city than the northern half mainly due to a stronger influence of rural black culture.

Around the university feels like it could be a suburb of St. Louis. Once you get away from there it's probably a pretty good mix of both.

Quote:
Right...... Then call my ancestors traitors that's fine. I'll be wearing it as a badge of honor. This country was formed due to "traitors" that fought against the British. Get a clue.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

Right...... Then call my ancestors traitors that's fine. I'll be wearing it as a badge of honor. This country was formed due to "traitors" that fought against the British. Get a clue.
You have to laugh at non-natives coming in and attempting to school us about our corner of Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri