Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODixie View Post
Depends on the definition of metro area. Are you talking just Stl county, or all the way down to Farmington?

Stl county I don't see any reminents or hints of southernness at all, except for when you get out towards Eureka, Pacific then it does have a slight Ozarks, Upland south feel. As far as Jefferson County Arnold has not feelings of any southernness! But when you get south of there you can see it starting to pickup though especially when you get deeper into Jefferson County to Desoto, Hillsboro how ever that ends when you head southeast and hit Ste gen.

I'd say Jefferson county is at least around 80 percent midwestern. Now I do notice the transition to be strong when you go south and into St. Francois county There I notice more southerness and it's transition IMO upper southish feeling more but once you hit madison county and Frederik town it quickly starts to turn into dixie down there. When you think about it St. Louis is only about 80 miles from Dixie. Just amazing how close St. Louis is to the South.

Since St. Louis so so close to Dixie in Missouri, and not too far south there are hints and transitions to southern, could St. Louis be considered a border city in todays society? Even though there is not much culture at all left since it's just 80 or so miles from Dixie is it close enough to qualify?

Its just amazing how short of a distance it is from cultures and St. Louis.
Bolded portion of your post.....what are you saying?
ETA; you are saying the shift occurs in Perry County....it doesnt, the shift in SE MO occurs just where Gunner states, around Benton.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Also another thing I notice starting in Cape Girardeau county I see more business use the term "midsouth" and "southern" in their business names while St. Louis uses "midwestern" or "central". Same way with the ozarks too the further south you go I notice less business use the term midwest. Especially near hwy 60. Dixie is another term I see used in business names too sometimes. Especially in Southeast Missouri, and the Ozarks near Hwy 60.
Theres a thread somewhere on here that covers the whole thing of business names exhaustively....I cant remember which one, perhaps someone else can remember.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Because as many of us have stated there are hints of southerness in Jefferson County, however there are none in St. Gen county which borders Jefferson county.
Yes, I know there isnt any in SG, nor in Perry County, either, for that matter.
I did not understand what you were trying to say.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
kshe, when did you move to florida, wow, never would have thought! Kind of like me still posting in KC and living on east coast.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
kshe, when did you move to florida, wow, never would have thought! Kind of like me still posting in KC and living on east coast.
I moved here a long time ago, but heres the thing, we still have a farm in Ste Gen County, I spend part of the year there, most of my family and friends are still in MO, so I keep an eye on whats happening there on a lot of levels, you know?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Might been me? I remember brining it up before. As THB says Midsouth is a term used a lot in southeast MO especially near the bootheel.

Cape Girardeau is located very near KY and borders far southern IL which is southern in some aspects as well. geographically Cape doesn't really fit in the midwest.

Thats why I hate the census and how it lumps entire states. Because far northern West Virginia is pretty far north from the south, and Missouri for example has the bootheel which the southern border of the bootheel is only about 70 miles from the deep south state of Mississippi! So I think the census classification should be broken down into regions.
Geographically speaking, Cape fits into the Mississippi River Hills region of MO.
I am speaking of Cape proper, and the area that borders the river, not the entire county.
ETA: The term Midsouth and Bootheel are used extensively in Butler county.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-27-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 02:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I moved here a long time ago, but heres the thing, we still have a farm in Ste Gen County, I spend part of the year there, most of my family and friends are still in MO, so I keep an eye on whats happening there on a lot of levels, you know?
gotcha, I know the drill.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
gotcha, I know the drill.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Now is StL City a suburb? .

I'm talking a little further out out like Jefferson.

I don't find StL or KC to be southern at all, at least not in the immediate metro cores, maybe small parts. I think you very quickly start to see it as you go south out of metro StL. From the far southern parts of STL county on south.

KCK seems sort of southern I guess, but I can't figure out KCK.
I agree. Driving up from Memphis, you feel like you leave the South once you get past Cape Girardeau, but then it feels like you're back in the South when you get into Jefferson County for some reason. Then back to the Midwest when you get to Stl County. I can't really explain why, but Jefferson County looks and feels Southern, like somewhere in East Tennessee. Same hillbilly feel. I know it doesn't make a place Southern, but I think someone from East TN would feel right at home.

Last edited by Smtchll; 10-27-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I agree. Driving up from Memphis, you feel like you leave the South once you get past Cape Girardeau, but then it feels like you're back in the South when you get into Jefferson County for some reason. Then back to the Midwest when you get to Stl County. I can't really explain why, but Jefferson County looks and feels Southern, like somewhere in East Tennessee. Same hillbilly feel. I know it doesn't make a place Southern, but I think someone from East TN would feel right at home.
Its the topographical features of JeffCo that you are seeing.
If you will notice, I-55 swings quite close to the river in JeffCo, hence all the cutting through the river bluffs, and then it swings away from the river in SG and Perry counties etc, missing the river bluffs.
The same river bluffs are there from StL to Cape, you're just not seeing them due to the route of I-55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri