Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODixie View Post
Higher than Stl, and a lot of Stls are black.

You know that's interesting that Ste Gen has more percentage of Baptist than Perry co does despite being more north and German, French ancestory.

Also you should go by overall protestants not just Baptist because some areas also have a high number of Methodist that waters the baptist down for example.
A lot of the people in SG identify as baptist when they dont actually go to church at all.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Blacks are generally not Southern Baptists. They belong to other Baptist denominations that weren't counted in the survey. So when you see "Southern Baptist" on the website, it's mostly referring to whites.

And I wouldn't go by all Protestants, because some Protestant groups are more Midwestern, like Lutherans. Perry Co. has a high percentage of Lutherans (22%) The rest of the counties have slightly more Baptists than Lutherans. Except for Ste Genevieve, which has way more Baptists and hardly any Lutherans for some reason. The Germans that settled there must have been overwhelmingly Catholic.
Yes, the Germans that settled in SG were attracted to the area because it was Catholic.....funnily enough, there is a Lutheran church in the historic downtown area, it was founded in 1867.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
A lot of the people in SG identify as baptist when they dont actually go to church at all.
I've noticed the same thing in Cape, lots of Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists and Baptists do this. Don't see it much in some of the smaller denominations like the Churches of Christ, Church of the Nazarene etc...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times

This map lumps Missouri in with the old Confederacy with Kentucky and W. Virginia, just east of hicks, west of nothing, and south of gays/hicks.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

This map lumps Missouri in with the old Confederacy with Kentucky and W. Virginia, just east of hicks, west of nothing, and south of gays/hicks.
lol...Missouri has never really been that KKK active. If you're going to include Missouri with that map, you might as well include Indiana, as that state was incredibly pro-KKK. At one time the KKK was headquartered there, and controlled the state government. Also, lumping in Missouri with the old Confederacy is ridiculous when you look at the fact that far more people supported the Union, as well as the fact that the elected state government, or however much of it was still together at the time, did not legitimately and legally secede. Kentucky I could understand, since that state aligned itself strictly with the South after the Civil War. Whoever made this map obviously went off their opinions and didn't do much research.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I know the map is a joke, but sadly thats how the east and west coast generally think of Missouri, and the other states highlighted in white.
That hasn't been my impression at all. People who think that have never been here or have had little in the way of a real education. There are very few people I have ever met who look at Missouri and think KKK. Missouri had more leniencies towards the Midwest than the South, especially after the Civil War. Actually, the only states I ever think of when the KKK is mentioned are the Deep South states and Tennessee. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana. North Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky I wouldn't be surprised if the KKK had strong factions, but really, the only states I would think any reasonable person would associate the KKK with would be in the states they were the most notorious for occupying...Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, and Louisiana. I would actually think Texas had a strong faction as well, though maybe not to the same degree as the Deep South.

Last edited by stlouisan; 10-28-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
As for as more union troops than confederate, Kentucky also sent far more troops to the union as well compared to the confederacy. The confederacy wasn't able to recruit in KY a lot.

Also note a large number of those MO union troops were not born in America, as well as many were not native to Missouri or other southern states. If you take out the immigrants who fought for the state militia and Union, the numbers would be more equal. Also don't forget gorilla fighters.

However the Confederacy doesn't have as good of records as the union. However from a lot of information I can find, most estimate around 45-60,000 fought for Stars and Bars from Missouri. That doesn't include the MO State Guard before they merged with the Confederates so you have to figure some state guardsmen who didnt join the Confederates.

A lot of the union soilders in MO didn't even speak english! WHich I think they shouldn't been allowed to join the US Army if they can't speak in English. So really that is the main reason the numbers were lopsided that much.

The KKK today is just small, sporatic groups. Nothing like the 20s. After the Civil War southern MO had a lot of klan activity especially in the pro Confederate areas. Ripley County was a KKK stronghold after the civil war ended and the governor had to send in help to dispurse them as the KKK was on a tear. There is a good webpage on Ripley county and KKK history. In more modern times "1920s" the Klan basically ran St. Joesph MO politics, and Springfield they were active too and even helped build a hospital. The bootheel has known activity and the NAACP says the Kennett police are members. When that black lady got arrested blacks moaned about how they were handing kkk cards out.

The Southern Poverty LIE Center says MO ozarks are full of racist, and militias and extreamist groups. I think they are just making a lot of that up.

However Missouri did not have the Klan activity that Mississippi has. Deep South outdide the upper south states. However western and northern states had some of the strongest clan groups though.

Also today the KKK in Missouri has been doing a lot of petitioning to get the Confederate Battle Flags restored at all the historic parks that Bob Holden had taken down! That was horrible what Holden did. at least they are doing something about it. Those flags flew for over 100 years without any problems and I demand them restored as well! A Post dispatch poll after holden took them down was nearly 2/3 3rds have no problem flying the battle flag.
A lot of them, yes...didn't speak English. But even if you took away the Germans and African Americans, you were left with a minimum of at least 60,000 regular Missourians fighting for the Union. The guerilla activity in Missouri involved as many pro-Union citizens as pro-South to my knowledge. Many guerillas actually said they never even fought for the Confederacy...they didn't even care if they attacked other southerners...many were just outlaws. I know the story with Kentucky, but Kentucky's fighters actually began to resent the Union by the end of the war. Kentucky assumed a pro-South stance after the Civil War, which is what separates it from Missouri. Many of its residents once-loyal to the Union actually grew to hate the federal government by the end of the Civil War, especially in the Bluegrass region. Missouri had only been a state 40 years...75% of the state was foreign-born to begin with (other country or other states), so in some ways it's unfair to discount the Germans. Claiborne Jackson was actually a native of Kentucky, Sterling Price a native of Virginia. And the Marmadukes were split right down the middle, sending members to both sides. The KKK obviously wants the Confederate flag restored...why wouldn't it? And I can't believe for one that you think the KKK is noble. Those flags, if they were at those parks, were likely Civil War memorials. I don't ever remember seeing tons of Confederate flags flying all over the entire state. I think quite frankly the flags, if they are ever put back up, must be matched with the Union flag of the time, as Missouri was by no means a state loyal to the Confederacy. Missouri also did not have the same amount of clan activity as the Upper South. Kentucky and Virginia definitely had more of it, as these were states intent on legally enforcing discrimination to the fullest.

Last edited by stlouisan; 10-28-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
..... If you take out the immigrants who fought for the state militia and Union, the numbers would be more equal. Also don't forget gorilla fighters.......

Also today the KKK in Missouri has been doing a lot of petitioning to get the Confederate Battle Flags restored at all the historic parks that Bob Holden had taken down! That was horrible what Holden did. at least they are doing something about it. Those flags flew for over 100 years without any problems and I demand them restored as well! ....
Amongst all the comments you have made, today's misspelling was a classic. Don't forget the gorilla fighters! Didn't they make a series of movies about them? It's nice to see your parents are getting their money's worth on that college education.

Entirely new screen name - but the same old broken record, make believe dribble keeps coming out of the speaker.

Are there any terms of service rules you won't violate?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Amongst all the comments you have made, today's misspelling was a classic. Don't forget the gorilla fighters! Didn't they make a series of movies about them? It's nice to see your parents are getting their money's worth on that college education.

Entirely new screen name - but the same old broken record, make believe dribble keeps coming out of the speaker.

Are there any terms of service rules you won't violate?
One can only wonder how long the mods will tolerate it.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
The flags in question the two main ones on state property was the one at the Confederate Veterans memorial Home in Higginsville and the one at Ft. Davidson.

Taking down the one at Higginsville was the most insulting though imo due to it being the last place some of those brave Confederate men stayed at before they died. The missouri state guard flag however does fly at a few historic sites though. I know one is flown at the site of the battle of Lexington. Hopefully some blowhard doesn't find out about that and get them taken down as well. In 2003 when Holden took them down, a bunch of people protested and waived MO state guard, Confederate Battle Flags, and ROman Cross flags around infront of the governors mansion. Even people from that stormfront site went in support. Not that I agree with many of their views.

Kentucky was not as hostile towards blacks as other southern states. Kentucky never took the right to vote away from anyone, and both it's senators voted for the civil rights act in 1964 as well as some of their congressmen as well. Just like Missouri both of our Senators voted for the Civil Rights act although from what I understand it took some arm twisting of Edward Long to get him to agree to vote yes on it. Southern Missouri's congressmen obviously voted against it while Stl and KC ones voted for it, and one congressman from Ike Skeltons area voted against it.

KY, MO, WV, MD while had segregation, it was not hardcore as states like LA, MS, AL, GA, SC. Even Virginia, Tennessee were a bit more moderate and not as militant as the deep south where most of the violence took place.
Onegoal, I have to say that Kentucky, WV, and MD all had segregation far greater than any Missouri had. The only segregation Missouri required by law was in schools, and in most of the state, with the exception of the bootheel, this practice showed serious signs of waning before 1954. and this practice was also performed in Kansas and Indiana (schools were not legally required to be segregated, but it was allowable as an option.) Segregation in all public places and virtually every part of society was legally enforced by law in these states..Maryland was perhaps more tolerant due to Washington, D.C...and desegregated with much less resistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri