Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
LOL. Do you see a lot of Confederate battle Flags around there?

Btw have you ever seen someone flying the Missouri Confederate battle flag aka the Roman Cross flag before?
In almost 50 years of driving back and forth between STL/SG and the Bluff, I dont remember ever seeing Confederate flags in that particular area......PB is another matter though.
You see tons of them down here, its mostly good ole boys from Hogtown doing that.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:39 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
In almost 50 years of driving back and forth between STL/SG and the Bluff, I dont remember ever seeing Confederate flags in that particular area......PB is another matter though.
You see tons of them down here, its mostly good ole boys from Hogtown doing that.
You mean driving down I55 to Ste Gen. I'll tell you they're present in Jefferson County though I've seen em a couple times in the backwoods, more rural areas deeper in the county. Heck at my Community college I went to in Kirkwood I saw a couple beater cars with Confederate Flag bumper stickers. But yea I wouldn't expect them in Ste Gen much lol.

I've seen them in Ironton before, but that area has a rich civil war history. I remember I think it was CNN before the election was doing a news story on Obama in Missouri, and the support he got in the Ironton area, and showing the usual rednecks down there and people with Confederate Flag on a door to one of the bars and on a truck. The story was about why he would be so popular in a rural area like Ironton, in the Ozarks.

Basically why it was is because it's a very low income area around there, hence why they would support someone who is for my social programs and handouts despite their skin color. I always saw that area though as white trash in a way.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
You mean driving down I55 to Ste Gen. I'll tell you they're present in Jefferson County though I've seen em a couple times in the backwoods, more rural areas deeper in the county. Heck at my Community college I went to in Kirkwood I saw a couple beater cars with Confederate Flag bumper stickers. But yea I wouldn't expect them in Ste Gen much lol.

I've seen them in Ironton before, but that area has a rich civil war history. I remember I think it was CNN before the election was doing a news story on Obama in Missouri, and the support he got in the Ironton area, and showing the usual rednecks down there and people with Confederate Flag on a door to one of the bars and on a truck. The story was about why he would be so popular in a rural area like Ironton, in the Ozarks.

Basically why it was is because it's a very low income area around there, hence why they would support someone who is for my social programs and handouts despite their skin color. I always saw that area though as white trash in a way.
No, I mean driving down 67, I prefer taking that route.
I was born in STL, we lived there for 10 years before moving to SG.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
No, I mean driving down 67, I prefer taking that route.
I was born in STL, we lived there for 10 years before moving to SG.
Do you see any flags in the Ocala area? I would expect to see them more in that area of Florida. Unlike South Florida were you rarelly ever saw a flag until you get northeast of tampa.

Also I would expect to see them in Butler County a lot. Oregon, Butler, Stoddard, Ripley counties were all pro Confederate. Especially Ripley county.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Do you see any flags in the Ocala area? I would expect to see them more in that area of Florida. Unlike South Florida were you rarelly ever saw a flag until you get northeast of tampa.

Also I would expect to see them in Butler County a lot. Oregon, Butler, Stoddard, Ripley counties were all pro Confederate. Especially Ripley county.
Not so much in Ocala proper, I live east of Silver Springs, right on the edge of the Ocala National Forest, once you get into the area I am in, you see them all over, along with 4 wheel drives, camouflage, and chewing tobacco......you get the picture I am trying to paint, I'm sure.
I am right down the road from here;

lynne florida - Google Maps

Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Not so much in Ocala proper, I live east of Silver Springs, right on the edge of the Ocala National Forest, once you get into the area I am in, you see them all over, along with 4 wheel drives, camouflage, and chewing tobacco......you get the picture I am trying to paint, I'm sure.
I am right down the road from here;

lynne florida - Google Maps
LOL. Would you compare them to the rednecks of lets say West Plains, or more the white trash variety?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
LOL. Would you compare them to the rednecks of lets say West Plains, or more the white trash variety?
The hoosiers, rednecks and white trash of MO look like Rhodes scholars compared to the people I am talking about......I've been all over the US, and lived in Europe, but I've never seen anything like these folks.
The family trees dont branch much, you know?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
The original post had the map backwards, basically. Here's a better one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Missouriregions.png (broken link)

Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
The hoosiers, rednecks and white trash of MO look like Rhodes scholars compared to the people I am talking about......I've been all over the US, and lived in Europe, but I've never seen anything like these folks.
The family trees dont branch much, you know?

I noticed different regions have different names for rubes.

Like you said north FL in your area calls them "forest people" I NEVER heard that term in Tampa, or anywhere in the southern half of Florida.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The original post had the map backwards, basically. Here's a better one:
Nope, Ste Genevieve and Perry counties are not transitional, they are solidly Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri