Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,950 times

Advertisements

I'm worried too about ours and the lawn as well. With not being there for the last month and the previous owners moving out....we'll be there tomorrow but only for 10 days and then may not return until we move in March....I have no idea what to expect! We can't leave a pump on to water as there isn't anyone around to keep an eye on it.....we'll see when we fly in tomorrow I guess....

O.Nana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,132 times
From my curriculum information:

The timing of the color change also varies by species. Sour wood in southern forests can become vividly colorful in late summer while all other species are still vigorously green. Oaks put on their colors long after other species have already shed their leaves. These differences in timing among species seem to be genetically inherited, for a particular species at the same latitude will show the same coloration in the cool temperatures of high mountain elevations at about the same time as it does in warmer lowlands.
The amount and brilliance of the colors that develop in any particular autumn season are related to weather conditions that occur before and during the time the chlorophyll in the leaves is dwindling. Temperature and moisture are the main influences.

A succession of warm, sunny days and cool, crisp but not freezing nights seems to bring about the most spectacular color displays. During these days, lots of sugars are produced in the leaf but the cool nights and the gradual closing of veins going into the leaf prevent these sugars from moving out. These conditions-lots of sugar and lots of light-spur production of the brilliant anthocyanin pigments, which tint reds, purples, and crimson. Because carotenoids are always present in leaves, the yellow and gold colors remain fairly constant from year to year.

The amount of moisture in the soil also affects autumn colors. Like the weather, soil moisture varies greatly from year to year. The countless combinations of these two highly variable factors assure that no two autumns can be exactly alike. A late spring, or a severe summer drought, can delay the onset of fall color by a few weeks. A warm period during fall will also lower the intensity of autumn colors. A warm wet spring, favorable summer weather, and warm sunny fall days with cool nights should produce the most brilliant autumn colors.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,132 times
so around these here parts just a few hours away across the river the temps change at night to a chilly around Mid - Late September .. about the same time the corn starts getting harvest.
It seems in the morning you will see the kids go to school with jackets..but during the day it gets warm enough for shorts.

I am going to say in the next few weeks we should start to see the changes happening!...... perfect weather for a glass of wine!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Default Wine? did you say Wine???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
so around these here parts just a few hours away across the river the temps change at night to a chilly around Mid - Late September .. about the same time the corn starts getting harvest.
It seems in the morning you will see the kids go to school with jackets..but during the day it gets warm enough for shorts.

I am going to say in the next few weeks we should start to see the changes happening!...... perfect weather for a glass of wine!

Just ONE glass of wine? Oh come on now, it'll take more than that to celebrate. How about a bottle or two....

Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Just ONE glass of wine? Oh come on now, it'll take more than that to celebrate. How about a bottle or two....

we came out here last year in October and saw how beautiful all of the trees were as they began to change color...we were sold after that!!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:29 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Such a wonderful array of wine choices, whether you're in Hermann, Ste. Genevieve, St. James, Augusta....you name it! Myself, I'll definitely start with some of Stone Hill's Steinberg White!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:25 AM

I like Hermanhoff's 'White Lady'....also.....

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Glorious colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post

we came out here last year in October and saw how beautiful all of the trees were as they began to change color...we were sold after that!!
I have traveled on Hwy 63 between Jeff City and Columbia during the middle of October for many years. The sight of the variety of trees in full fall colour, is enough to actually bring tears to your eyes.

Some years the colours are extremely vibrant ranging from pale yellows, pale orange, pink, coral, and all the way to the reds, deep yellows, and bright orange. It's as if around any given corner, you're not sure what nature has in store for you with this spectacular eye candy. Really.....

I cannot express fully the beauty, not at this hour. Anyway it be real purty

Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM

59 posts, read 262,126 times
I live about an hour North of Gravois and it usually is in Mid-October depending on the rain and how cold it gets early on. We usually take a driving trip to the Lake area in late October to see all the beautiful fall colors. We have them in our area too but it is just a nice day trip and any excuse for a road trip is great!

Carolyn

Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Yea,,, fall in MO, the antithesis of spring in MO,,, beautiful, yet instead of the bright and cheerful vibrant colours given during the budding and flowering of the plants in the early part of the year, we find ourselves gazing upon the subtle and multi-palette of a smorgasborg of leaves changing colours as they lose their pigmentation, before slowly cascading upon the soft ground. Beauty. Like a mix of Ansel and Monet, provided for our enjoyment, come every fall, around every bend, across every valley, upon trees, those majestic plants that so often humans take for granted, yet it be the very entity that provides us the very substance with the air for us to live, while also making that etherworld cleaner. If have the opportunity, highly recommend a float upon the Jack's Fork, 11 Point, Buffalo, or even the crowded Current or Merrymac Rivers during this time... and do some camping, taking in the cool crisp air at night, with the hint of fresh water in the air, the twinkling stars being a blanket over your tent, and then during the day, the limestone and dolomite, mixed with some sandstone here and there, in the bluffs and hills upon either side, erupting with the blazing reds, oranges, yellows, etc. colours, as you guide down the river, over white and blue waters, the yellow sun coursing through the blue sky.

Damn - time for a float trip!!! Gonna have to reclaim my canoe next time in MO and glide down a blue watery highway,,, and soon.

For another helpful resource, might gander upon the following:
Fall Colors

If finding yourself bopping about other areas of our wondrous country:
The Best Fall Foliage Sites in America [careful tho', seems at least the MO link is non-workable... ]
However, there are these too in my bookmarks:
STORMFAX® Fall Foliage Guide
State by State Guide to Fall Foliage

Typing this gibberish , reminds me of a few years back, found myself in Boston [overseeing a SEM - scanning electron microscope - being refurbed for purchase] during the fall, and with some free time [Hobbes always has or finds some free time when traveling... ], directed the rental car into the mountains/hills found within the Bear Brook and the Pawtuckaway State Parks [just NE of Manchester, NH], and found a plethora of amazing beauty in the hills therein - and a mass of 'tree peepers'; lol, and then when upon the river banks within Boston, there were the 'boat people', watching the collegiate races in their long skinny and fast boats... was quite interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri