Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times

Advertisements

mmmmmm, both my grandmothers always made cabbage soup similar to that, I would call that a Mo recipe for sure! All the German grandmas in STL could do amazing things with cabbage. Love it, and thanks for the recipe, I saved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM

1,635 posts, read 3,640,063 times
Cool! You're welcome, kshe! Thanks for sharing that! Lemme know how you like it!

http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-4782-bulle.gif (broken link) MrsG

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

321 posts, read 917,943 times
That beef and cabbage soup sounds awesome! Can't wait to try it! Well, we close on our house in Warrensburg in a few weeks and I'm so excited to make the move to MO - one big worry tho I'm hoping ya'll can help with is finding the all important........good Chinese, good Mexican and good pizza joints in my neighborhood - any suggestions?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
That beef and cabbage soup sounds awesome! Can't wait to try it! Well, we close on our house in Warrensburg in a few weeks and I'm so excited to make the move to MO - one big worry tho I'm hoping ya'll can help with is finding the all important........good Chinese, good Mexican and good pizza joints in my neighborhood - any suggestions?
where ya landing in Mo?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM

321 posts, read 917,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
where ya landing in Mo?
Warrensburg

Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,528,184 times
Talking Gooey Butter Cake and others

Just noticed that there are a few posts asking about different foods and recipes for them. Thought that some of you might be interested in reviving this thread for some of the 'newbies'.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,528,184 times
Default Gooey Butter Cake and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
My MIL had this recipe from the St. Louis Post Dispatch, April 5, 1972:

It is credited to H.Davis, Jr. of Davis Sutton Bakery in Maplewood, MO.

You ready?OK here goes:
GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup shortening, 1/4 teaspoon salt,
1 egg , 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup milk (whole),
1 tablespoon vanilla , 1 pkg. (.06 ounce size) compressed yeast

for Gooey Butter:

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup BUTTER, dash, salt,
1 egg, 1/4 cup white corn syrup, 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon vanilla (real)

And Here Is How To Do It:

1. Make a sweet dough by mixing 1/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup shortening and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add egg and beat one minute until well blended.

2. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup milk. Add flour, then milk and vanilla to sweet dough batter. Mix three (3) minutes.

3. Turn dough out on floured board and knead for one (1) minute. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.

4. Make gooey butter by combining 2 1/2 cups sugar, one (1) cup butter and a dash of salt. Add one (1) egg and white corn syrup. Mix enough to incorporate. Add remaining flour and vanilla.

5. Divide dough into two (2) pieces. Place in well-greased 9 x 9 x 2 pans. Crimp edges half way up side of pans so butter will not run out underneath. After dough is spread, punch holes in dough with a fork (to keep dough from bubbling when baking).

6. Divide butter into two (2) equal parts. Spread over dough in each pan. Let cakes stand for 20 minutes. Then bake in a 380 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Do Not Overbake: batter will not be Gooey if cakes are over-baked.

7. After cakes are cool, top with confectioner's sugar.

As I stated, this is an old recipe from a bakery in St. Louis county from many years ago. Similar to one I have, but the ingredients here are more like what I believe is the original. Enjoy

Hope that this might be of help to anyone still looking for this recipe. also, might want to check out some of the other pages for additional recipes.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,238,024 times
I've just came upon this thread. I learned the goodness of BBQ brisket in N MO. But I must say my favorite all time eatery in MO is in KC down by the stockyards. For those of you that visit you need to try a steak from the Golden Ox. Steak is a MO favorite. At least in KC. I had a lot of friends in N MO that referred to themselves as meat & potato people. I'm sort of confused about the sweet tea ?'s. The only place sweet tea has not been on the menu where I've been was MI. It went out of season with the first frost when I lived in MI. After reading this entire thread today, I'm getting rounder by the minute. Cybercalories abound here but they are so yummy with a couple of exceptions that I'll side with Karey Bear on. That Pecan Pie thing has got me wanting one so bad I may have to go out shopping in the rain.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,017,496 times
Hey ya'll,,, speaking of food, how about helping defend our StL style of pizza?

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...za-better.html

[note - votes for any other style will be deleted, w/ the offending person being sent to Elizabeth, NJ... in the winter, only in their skivvies... Just kidding... sortof. ]

Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 AM

1,635 posts, read 3,640,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I've just came upon this thread. I learned the goodness of BBQ brisket in N MO. But I must say my favorite all time eatery in MO is in KC down by the stockyards. For those of you that visit you need to try a steak from the Golden Ox. Steak is a MO favorite. At least in KC. I had a lot of friends in N MO that referred to themselves as meat & potato people. I'm sort of confused about the sweet tea ?'s. The only place sweet tea has not been on the menu where I've been was MI. It went out of season with the first frost when I lived in MI. After reading this entire thread today, I'm getting rounder by the minute. Cybercalories abound here but they are so yummy with a couple of exceptions that I'll side with Karey Bear on. That Pecan Pie thing has got me wanting one so bad I may have to go out shopping in the rain.
Did you say, "RAIN"? Where are you? Oh, yeah...you're in FL, huh?

Anyway, my experience is that sweet tea isn't offered out west, Nomadicus. I've never seen it offered in WA, OR, CA, AZ, NV or CO. That's the extent of locations I can remember, anyway.

I'll have to remember to try the beef brisket if I ever get up to KC. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Hey ya'll,,, speaking of food, how about helping defend our StL style of pizza?

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...za-better.html

[note - votes for any other style will be deleted, w/ the offending person being sent to Elizabeth, NJ... in the winter, only in their skivvies... Just kidding... sortof. ]
Well, I'd love to help, Shadow...but I've never HAD it! Sorreee!
'Sides...I don't think I'd like NJ in the winter!

Last edited by mrsgenealogy; 07-17-2008 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Because I can... ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri