Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Location: I live in va now and hate it because it is to big for me.
5 posts, read 17,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
I am a new member here. I live in Missouri. I have lived in the ozark hills, the middle of the state, and the northern parts. No matter where I have gone in other states, I have to say that Missouri is the BEST place to live. I'm not 'stuck' here. I chose to live here. We have a little bit of everything, including heaven if you are a nature lover. If you don't like what you see in one direction, turn around and look the other way. There is bound to be something there you will enjoy. The people, in general, are some of the nicest you could meet anywhere. We are friendly, patriotic, and always ready to help a neighbor in need. The big cities have the same problems as any other in this nation. The good news is...you don't have to live there!

I have enjoyed reading the posts here and wanted to jump in with my 2 cents many times. Now that I'm a memeber.....!!

"Mo~orphan"

Countryboyo1
Well i just wanted to say thanks for all of the nice things you have said about missouri i was born in west plains mo. and raised in an even smaller town called Caulfield mo. just outside of west plains. i think it is the best place to live and always will be. i am going to move back the day i get out of the navy in 2010 so i can raise my family their were i was raised. My futhur wife has already aggred to move back to missouri as soon as i get out so thats were i am going to head back to. Again thatnks for all you have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Location: I live in va now and hate it because it is to big for me.
5 posts, read 17,758 times
Smile were to look into!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilerman View Post
I've lived in NY, NJ, FL, CA, ME, and TN. My wife and two boys (5 & 7) are appalled and disgusted with the moral sewage that characterizes so much of our culture. It saddens us to see the degree to which we have stooped as a nation. Having travelled through all of the contiguous states, it is my opinion that Missouri still offers much of what once made this nation great, especially with regard to biblical values. My wife and I have decided to move away from our families and loved ones to pursue what we believe to be God's will for us. From the posts I've read here, it's my guess that many of you will understand our present concerns. We will be putting our house up for sale soon and trust God will direct us toward a community (preferably rural) of God fearing folks where we can raise our family and enjoy the fellowship of believers. Please feel free to offer suggestions/recommendations with regards to areas suitable for small farming, ponies, chickens, etc. We're leaving Ur of the Chaldes in search of whatever God has in store for us. Thanks in advance.
countryboyo1
Well i think you would be very saticfied with the west plains area then. their are alot of surronding towns that are perfect for what you want like Caulfield, Mountainview, Bakersfield, Moody, Willowsprings, and even alton mo so look into these towns please you will like them very much. I grew up in caulfield but went to school in west plains. so i know these areas very well.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,055 times
Thumbs up Missouri or Bust

Thanks ccountryboyo1. That's a great handle. I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions. My wife and I had a great time checking various properties in the areas you recommended and we're very encourage that we will find exactly what we're looking for. It will be a few more months before we can take serious steps in that direction, but again, thanks to you and all the others that have taken the time to help and make us feel welcome.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,180,665 times
One thing I've always wondered about Missouri, why is it the only state in the country where they steal license plate renewal stickers?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 AM

56 posts, read 158,675 times
I am planning a move to Ellington. I am pretty worried about my kids fitting in to the schools. Ages 9,11,15,17. Are kids accepted pretty quickly in these areas? Also, how do kids get around the areas with the houses so spread out? I really hope they fit in. I like the area very much but I don't know about the kids.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,194,829 times
A little something I wrote the other night.

Full of the Spirits and Full Moon in the Ozarks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting here watching MASH Reruns and setting by the flickering fire.Taking in some Kentucky Grain Spirits.On a fresh New Years in the Ozarks.

Go out to get a fresh load of wood to go on the fire.Look up what a beautiful Full Moon.Just a night to go for a walk.

Decided to walk down to the bottom of the holler.Now Whiteoak Holler is not a deep holler only about 1,000 feet deep.But full of history.Such as the murderers that roamed here and the Sawmill that was here.

So off for my walk.I decide to just walk down the dirt road.In the moonlight I can see the road going across the holler into Elm Holler.

I start down the hill,thinking about why we moved here.This place has nothing,can't grow grass,too rocky for a good garden.Not as much Game as in the Grain rich plains.But I walk on and think.

Nothing but mostly Oak.The quite time of the year,nobody around.See the frost on the ground from the cold of ther night,but you don't notice because you are full of spirirts.

Ok what brings you here is it the quiteness and solitude of the Winter.Is it the Tom Turkeys and Whip poor Wills sounding off in the Spring.And all the beautiful Spring Flowers.The smell of a Trout Stream.Is it the heat of Summer,knowing the best place is down at the river.Or is it the beauty of the Fall when the Lord just lets you know about what the streets of Gold are almost like.And you fill your lungs with the first cool air of the season.As you watch two rutting Bucks fight.

No I think it is the Ozarks,no place like it on Earth.The place is hard,but every day you step out the Door you know you are so very much alive,and you Love it.The Lord made it and you are here because he Loves you.

Hillman

Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
A little something I wrote the other night.

Full of the Spirits and Full Moon in the Ozarks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting here watching MASH Reruns and setting by the flickering fire.Taking in some Kentucky Grain Spirits.On a fresh New Years in the Ozarks.

Go out to get a fresh load of wood to go on the fire.Look up what a beautiful Full Moon.Just a night to go for a walk.

Decided to walk down to the bottom of the holler.Now Whiteoak Holler is not a deep holler only about 1,000 feet deep.But full of history.Such as the murderers that roamed here and the Sawmill that was here.

So off for my walk.I decide to just walk down the dirt road.In the moonlight I can see the road going across the holler into Elm Holler.

I start down the hill,thinking about why we moved here.This place has nothing,can't grow grass,too rocky for a good garden.Not as much Game as in the Grain rich plains.But I walk on and think.

Nothing but mostly Oak.The quite time of the year,nobody around.See the frost on the ground from the cold of ther night,but you don't notice because you are full of spirirts.

Ok what brings you here is it the quiteness and solitude of the Winter.Is it the Tom Turkeys and Whip poor Wills sounding off in the Spring.And all the beautiful Spring Flowers.The smell of a Trout Stream.Is it the heat of Summer,knowing the best place is down at the river.Or is it the beauty of the Fall when the Lord just lets you know about what the streets of Gold are almost like.And you fill your lungs with the first cool air of the season.As you watch two rutting Bucks fight.

No I think it is the Ozarks,no place like it on Earth.The place is hard,but every day you step out the Door you know you are so very much alive,and you Love it.The Lord made it and you are here because he Loves you.

Hillman
That was beautiful. I almost felt like I was on that path walking through the crispy frostiness under a moonlit night myself!
I live in a bit more developed part north of Springfield on small acreage, but I understand exactly what you mean. This is God's Country, no doubt. It's the most beautiful place I've ever lived and I breathe in and out the air of this wonderful area all the time.
What a treat to read the thoughts of someone else as a third party encapsulating into words what makes the Ozarks so special. It's magic to me too. Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:45 AM

17 posts, read 67,246 times
Default Clarksville township

Greetings MO~ Orphan,

I read your message regarding the way Clarksville aquired it's name. The correct person Clarksville was named for was for a politician at the time when it was founded and not Mr. Clark of the Lewis & Clark expidition. They never came up this far on the Mississippi while on their journy.
There is a stone monument in the City Park stating that was who it was named for but it was found to be incorrect and no one knows just who it was that had the information put on there saying Clarksville was so named for.
There is a lot going on here with several new Artisans and shops. People can click onto Clarksville's web site; www.ClarksvilleMO.US to see what events are scheduled through out the year.
The next time your here, please stop by our shop for a visit. My wife and I own The Windsor Chair Shop where we make 18th century colonial style Windsor chairs by hand.

Take Care,
Ralph & Caron Quick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri