U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 PM

63 posts, read 196,560 times

Advertisements

I am a new member here. I live in Missouri. I have lived in the ozark hills, the middle of the state, and the northern parts. No matter where I have gone in other states, I have to say that Missouri is the BEST place to live. I'm not 'stuck' here. I chose to live here. We have a little bit of everything, including heaven if you are a nature lover. If you don't like what you see in one direction, turn around and look the other way. There is bound to be something there you will enjoy. The people, in general, are some of the nicest you could meet anywhere. We are friendly, patriotic, and always ready to help a neighbor in need. The big cities have the same problems as any other in this nation. The good news is...you don't have to live there!

I have enjoyed reading the posts here and wanted to jump in with my 2 cents many times. Now that I'm a memeber.....!!

"Mo~orphan"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,829,387 times
MO~orphan, that's great thanks, Amen to that!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 33,727 times
Are you familiar w/ the Maryville Mo area? I was just curious about the winter months and any problems with flooding in that area.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 106,422 times
Default Misery or Missouri

I have a friend who is unhappy no matter where he goes. He says he wants to live in Montana, THEN he'd be happy. (He's already lived there but moved back because he was unhappy!)

He thinks he wants to move back to Montana...you guessed it, so that he can be happy.

When will people ever learn?

Wherever you go, there you are! So you'd better learn how to be happy where you're at!

BTW - I'm a Missouri boy, born in St. Louis, lived in St. Charles, North Missouri, and now Jefferson City and really like Missouri.

I'd be happier, if I could live closer to a trout stream! But there's plenty around to keep me happy...no complaints.

Jeff

Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,258,323 times
Default I agree Mo~orphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
I am a new member here. I live in Missouri. I have lived in the ozark hills, the middle of the state, and the northern parts. No matter where I have gone in other states, I have to say that Missouri is the BEST place to live. I'm not 'stuck' here. I chose to live here. We have a little bit of everything, including heaven if you are a nature lover. If you don't like what you see in one direction, turn around and look the other way. There is bound to be something there you will enjoy. The people, in general, are some of the nicest you could meet anywhere. We are friendly, patriotic, and always ready to help a neighbor in need. The big cities have the same problems as any other in this nation. The good news is...you don't have to live there!

I have enjoyed reading the posts here and wanted to jump in with my 2 cents many times. Now that I'm a memeber.....!!
I grew up in California. I've lived in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Merced, Modesto, then ten years in San Francisco, western Oregon, eastern Oregon in La Grande (actually very nice), Virginia, Chicago area, two years in Cuba, Germany, Manila,Philippines, and Las Vegas. My two favorite places until I moved to Missouri were Virginia and Las Vegas. But I have to say, I moved to Missouri after researching the nation and Missouri for two years and making trips out to see it for myself. I knew no one here. I sold in LV last June and drove to Springfield with two cats in my truck, household left in storage back in LV, and began looking for a home. It took me a long while to find what I wanted, but I did. In the meantime, I've met a whole circle of friends who quickly accepted me, I have the world's BEST neighbors around me, and I love my house on acreage north of town. This part of Missouri is the most beautiful country I've ever seen, just marvellous. I sometimes get distracted when driving and have to catch myself so I don't run off the road as I get mesmerized by the beauty. I love the open green fields mixed with stands of woods and there are cows and cattle and horses in the fields. I love the winter with its periods of bitter cold where I can use my Russian fur cap with ear flaps, and I love the thousands of lightning bugs that flash green lights across my lawns in the summer. I hate the tornado scares, but I love the thunderstorms!! And people here are very religious. They believe Jesus is the Son of God and Lord, but they aren't in your face and trying to convert you ever second to join their churches. They'll ask you point blank what your affiliation is (I'm Baptist), they'll invite you to their churches, but they don't press and don't take offense if you go your way. Missouri truly is Americana in spades. I'm extremely proud to be American, and if someone from overseas were to ask me; "tell me where to go to experience the real America", I'd say.."Missouri". I absolutely love it here.

Last edited by Marka; 09-15-2006 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,624,329 times
Colleges good? Things to do for teenagers?

Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,709 times
Default Can I jump in with a question? :o)

We are looking for a place to move. What are springfield (or cities in S.E. Missouri) winters like? We are Floridians, and we'd like a little snow but don't know how to handle more than 6 inches. ;o) Thanks for any help!

Old 09-15-2006, 08:19 AM

339 posts, read 1,321,260 times
I've lived in Springfield since 1999 and I have only seen a couple of snowfalls in excess of 6 inches. One of them was about 2 feet - lots of fun. It is rare to have more than a few days per year with enough snow/ice to effect driving.

Personally, the kid in me loves a "snow day".

Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,624,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
I've lived in Springfield since 1999 and I have only seen a couple of snowfalls in excess of 6 inches. One of them was about 2 feet - lots of fun. It is rare to have more than a few days per year with enough snow/ice to effect driving.

Personally, the kid in me loves a "snow day".
How many months of snow? Hot summers? Humid?

Old 09-17-2006, 03:25 AM

29 posts, read 155,598 times
Hey MoMark,

Great info, thanks. You covered 2 things that are very important for me
1 are the folks neighborly and
2 will I get burned at the stake for not being Christian

The more I learn, the better Springfield sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri