U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 PM

212 posts, read 861,596 times

Advertisements

I understand that new residents of MO are required to take a test to get their driver's license..true? How are car insurance rates in the Springfield area? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,242,566 times
Default New Residents/ MDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
I understand that new residents of MO are required to take a test to get their driver's license..true? How are car insurance rates in the Springfield area? Thank you
No, it's not true. I moved here from Nevada last June and I was told that I was legally required to switch my Nevada license and plates over for a Missouri license and plates within 30 days. Of course I didn't. I waited until August when my Nevada registration was due to expire. What I didn't know is that Missouri imposes property taxes on vehicles! I also didn't know that I needed a "safety inspection". I had lived in California and Nevada previously and never heard of my car being assessed property taxes, and, the only inspections required in those two states are stringent smog control inspections. So, I had to go to the Greene County Courthouse in Springfield and get a tax waiver as a new resident, then I went to an auto repair place that does safety inspections, got that done, then took both documents to the local DMV office (I chose the one that had just opened on Glenstone Ave. I've since learned that there's one on Battlefield Rd. across from the Great Southern Bank that no one knows about!!. Anyway, I didn't need to take any tests, paid my license fee, gave the waiver for the taxes, and had to turn in my Nevada license and my Nevada plates (so bring your plates in with you along with the waiver and safety inspection). You'll need a passport, birth certificate, photo ID that proves you not only are who you are, but American as well. They've tightened it up bigtime for ID purposes. Also, the DMV will give you stickers only good for one year the first time. After you've been a resident of MO. for a year, when you renew you can choose to have another one year or two years. Everyone, including me, chooses two years of course. I just renewed last month after one year and now I don't have to go back until August of 2008.
So, recap:
-Bring official ID like a passport, Birth Certificate, prior license, utility bill, etc. If you don't have the proper ID, you'll be refused.
-Get a Tax Waiver for new residents at the Greene County Courthouse. It's quick and the people there are very nice.
-Get a safety inspection. FYI..they've tightened that up too in 2006, if your windshield wipers aren't up to par or you have a crack in your windshield longer than six inches or so, or your tires are in bad shape, you'll fail the inspection.
-Bring your out-of-state plates into the DMV office with you along with your prior drivers license.
-They don't accept VISA or MASTERCARD for payment, not even a debit card. They do accept DISCOVER card or a personal check.
I combined my home insurance with my auto insurance through Farmers and got a great deal and discount. Missouri is pretty cheap insurance wise.
At least you'll be prepared now on what to expect!!! If you do all that first and go into the DMV prepared, you'll be out in 30-40 minutes. It's really not a bad experience like what I had in California or Las Vegas where you spend the day waiting. Good luck
Oh, one more surprise I'll save you being stunned with... When you file your taxes for the April 15th deadline, you'll naturally file your Fed. tax return, but Missouri requires that you also file a Missouri tax return and it will impose taxes on income earned OUTSIDE of Missouri if you became a resident within that tax year!!!!!!! That just freakin' blew me away. So, don't faint at the accountant's office. Luckily, Missouri living more than makes up for this nasty surprise. I can recommend both the auto place and the accountant if you move here and need a recommendation

Last edited by MoMark; 09-12-2006 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,820,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
No, it's not true. I moved here from Nevada last June and I was told that I was legally required to switch my Nevada license and plates over for a Missouri license and plates within 30 days. Of course I didn't. Anyway, I didn't need to take any tests, paid my license fee, gave the waiver for the taxes, and had to turn in my Nevada license and my Nevada plates (so bring your plates in with you along with the waiver and safety inspection)...-Bring your out-of-state plates into the DMV office with you along with your prior drivers license... but Missouri requires that you also file a Missouri tax return and it will impose taxes on income earned OUTSIDE of Missouri if you became a resident within that tax year!!!!!!!
Mark, wow that was a helpful post I don't follow you on a couple of things you mentioned.

1. Why did you not switch within the 30 days?
2. How can you drive your vehicle there if you turn in your plates, they don't give new plates to you right away do they?
3. How could one NOT be a resident in that tax year isn't it always tax year

Thanks!
Mark

Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Hey Mark :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Mark, wow that was a helpful post I don't follow you on a couple of things you mentioned.

1. Why did you not switch within the 30 days?
2. How can you drive your vehicle there if you turn in your plates, they don't give new plates to you right away do they?
3. How could one NOT be a resident in that tax year isn't it always tax year

Thanks!
Mark
1. I didn't switch in the 30 days because of two things; laziness and I wanted to extend the period my new registration for Missouri would cover as far as possible. My Nevada registration wasn't cheap and it was valid through August 05. I got to Missouri on June 4th! Why waste two months of paid for registration!
2. They in fact hand you new plates over the counter immediately after the process concludes. I was surprised too and had to go back out into the parking lot to remove my Nevada plates to get the Missouri ones.
3. I was unclear about the out-of-state tax issue. I earned all my income in Nevada through May of 2005. I had no income in Missouri for 2005. Yet, when I went to do my taxes in April of this year, I had to file a Missouri Tax Return and PAY Missouri taxes for income I never earned in Missouri and earned BEFORE I even moved to Missouri!!!! I hope that clears that up!
Hence my shock at the accountant's office. I felt and still feel it's unfair of Missouri to tax income never earned in Missouri and earned when I wasn't even a resident in Missouri....but hey, I love Missouri and it was overall a minor irritant I only have to face once

Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,619,624 times
Great description! Thanks

Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM

212 posts, read 861,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
No, it's not true. I moved here from Nevada last June and I was told that I was legally required to switch my Nevada license and plates over for a Missouri license and plates within 30 days. Of course I didn't. I waited until August when my Nevada registration was due to expire. What I didn't know is that Missouri imposes property taxes on vehicles! I also didn't know that I needed a "safety inspection". I had lived in California and Nevada previously and never heard of my car being assessed property taxes, and, the only inspections required in those two states are stringent smog control inspections. So, I had to go to the Greene County Courthouse in Springfield and get a tax waiver as a new resident, then I went to an auto repair place that does safety inspections, got that done, then took both documents to the local DMV office (I chose the one that had just opened on Glenstone Ave. I've since learned that there's one on Battlefield Rd. across from the Great Southern Bank that no one knows about!!. Anyway, I didn't need to take any tests, paid my license fee, gave the waiver for the taxes, and had to turn in my Nevada license and my Nevada plates (so bring your plates in with you along with the waiver and safety inspection). You'll need a passport, birth certificate, photo ID that proves you not only are who you are, but American as well. They've tightened it up bigtime for ID purposes. Also, the DMV will give you stickers only good for one year the first time. After you've been a resident of MO. for a year, when you renew you can choose to have another one year or two years. Everyone, including me, chooses two years of course. I just renewed last month after one year and now I don't have to go back until August of 2008.
So, recap:
-Bring official ID like a passport, Birth Certificate, prior license, utility bill, etc. If you don't have the proper ID, you'll be refused.
-Get a Tax Waiver for new residents at the Greene County Courthouse. It's quick and the people there are very nice.
-Get a safety inspection. FYI..they've tightened that up too in 2006, if your windshield wipers aren't up to par or you have a crack in your windshield longer than six inches or so, or your tires are in bad shape, you'll fail the inspection.
-Bring your out-of-state plates into the DMV office with you along with your prior drivers license.
-They don't accept VISA or MASTERCARD for payment, not even a debit card. They do accept DISCOVER card or a personal check.
I combined my home insurance with my auto insurance through Farmers and got a great deal and discount. Missouri is pretty cheap insurance wise.
At least you'll be prepared now on what to expect!!! If you do all that first and go into the DMV prepared, you'll be out in 30-40 minutes. It's really not a bad experience like what I had in California or Las Vegas where you spend the day waiting. Good luck
Oh, one more surprise I'll save you being stunned with... When you file your taxes for the April 15th deadline, you'll naturally file your Fed. tax return, but Missouri requires that you also file a Missouri tax return and it will impose taxes on income earned OUTSIDE of Missouri if you became a resident within that tax year!!!!!!! That just freakin' blew me away. So, don't faint at the accountant's office. Luckily, Missouri living more than makes up for this nasty surprise. I can recommend both the auto place and the accountant if you move here and need a recommendation
Thank you very much MoMark. This is what I found on line so you can understand my confusion:
Motor vehicles are to be registered as soon as legal residence is established. At registration, newcomers will need to present the out-of-state title, a Missouri vehicle safety inspection certificate, proof of insurance and a tax waiver card for personal property tax A written test must be taken to receive a Missouri driver’s license; a driving test may also be required.
That is very strange that one would pay tax to MO if earned in another state. Doesn't that mean you are paying in both states then? I know I have moved mid year in the past and had to file for the state I left and then file for the salary earned in the new location. That just isn't quite right

Old 09-13-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Oops, yep, you're right tismekll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
Thank you very much MoMark. This is what I found on line so you can understand my confusion:
Motor vehicles are to be registered as soon as legal residence is established. At registration, newcomers will need to present the out-of-state title, a Missouri vehicle safety inspection certificate, proof of insurance and a tax waiver card for personal property tax A written test must be taken to receive a Missouri driver’s license; a driving test may also be required.
That is very strange that one would pay tax to MO if earned in another state. Doesn't that mean you are paying in both states then? I know I have moved mid year in the past and had to file for the state I left and then file for the salary earned in the new location. That just isn't quite right
I forgot to add, of course you have to show proof of auto insurance and provide a residency address and for the address they will require a bill or bank statement addressed to you at that address. I lived in an Extended Stay America inn for six months while looking for the right house and I began banking with Great Southern Bank who sent me a monthly statement to that address. So I 'proved' my residency address with a Great Southern Bank statement mailed to me there. I took no written or driving test and was never asked to. No one in line was asked to do either either. I can't remember if I presented actual title of my truck or not last year. I may have, but I think I just showed my previous Nevada registration. If you have it, it might be helpful to bring it just in case. As for State income taxes, Nevada doesn't have them, but if I had moved here from CA, I'd have had to file Federal, Missouri, and California tax returns. The "personal property tax" is the tax levied on automobiles and vehicles in Missouri and that is why you go to the courthouse first to get the waiver. I went back to the courthouse ironically to pay the tax this year and because I hadn't been in Missouri all of 2005, they gave me another waiver for this year!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 AM

226 posts, read 938,243 times
Property taxes on your car?? Never heard of that. How much are we talking? If I had a car that I paid 30,000 for what will I pay in taxes? Is this evey year you pay taxes? and does the taxes go down after you start paying off your car??

Is car insurance high? I pay 3,000 a year for three drivers in Phoenix.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,619,624 times
http://www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/

http://www.kcmo.org/finance.nsf/web/proptax?opendocument (broken link)

http://www.camdenmo.org/assessor/personalproperty.htm (broken link)

Sounds like every two years it is assets. Great for cars/trucks as it will drop. Bad for houses as they raise in value.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-17-2006 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM

226 posts, read 938,243 times
looked on the dor.mo.gov web-site but didn't see anything on what I would pay for taxes on my car. I'm I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri