Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times

Advertisements

What no one is addressing is the fact that many college kids are broke and will start traveling Highway 50 to avoid the tolls.

Since 50 is a two lane we can expect to see the increased volume lead to more accidents.

Then before you know it WE will be paying to have 50 expanded to 4 lanes to handle the volume.

If they do this any kid who has a college ID should get a free pass. It will save lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
My theory is that the $.10-.15/ mile number was floated on purpose, so when they "agree" to a lower number, it'll look like they're being reasonable and conciliatory. Remember, this is a car dealer (mike Kehoe) spearheading this in the Lege.

And for all the talk about how "everyone knows" I-70 needs reconstruction-- I've driven interstates throughout the country in the last decade, and I-70 is middle of the road, so to speak. I'm no expert, but I don't trust MoDOT's so-called expert opinion, since MoDOT's pushing this along with Kehoe. And my experience, driving Columbia to StL about once every three weeks and Columbia to KC every couple of months, is that the highway is NOT overcrowded as a general rule.

I work in state government, I know the players and the game. This is just more corporate welfare.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
My theory is that the $.10-.15/ mile number was floated on purpose, so when they "agree" to a lower number, it'll look like they're being reasonable and conciliatory. Remember, this is a car dealer (mike Kehoe) spearheading this in the Lege.

And for all the talk about how "everyone knows" I-70 needs reconstruction-- I've driven interstates throughout the country in the last decade, and I-70 is middle of the road, so to speak. I'm no expert, but I don't trust MoDOT's so-called expert opinion, since MoDOT's pushing this along with Kehoe. And my experience, driving Columbia to StL about once every three weeks and Columbia to KC every couple of months, is that the highway is NOT overcrowded as a general rule.

I work in state government, I know the players and the game. This is just more corporate welfare.

You bring up some great points. I've driven in recent months and years in states like Illinois, Michigan and Indiana either for work, vacation, or kid's sports (or all of the above for Illinois and Indiana). I keep hearing how these higher tax states and/or states with toll roads have such better roads. I also drive 70 frequently to Columbia for Mizzou games and to KC for business. I also drive 44 and 55 frequently.

I kind of agree from simply a user's perspective it's not that obviously bad to me. Kind of middle of the pack is a good description.

Not sure this isn't another "crisis" to get something passed and to keep the gov't funds flowing. Is the corporate welfare of which you speak our friends at Fred Weber?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM

I don't know the players in highway construction in MO, so I couldn't say. But all road construction is to some extent corporate welfare-- it's just too tempting for the private contractors to ensure success by cozying up to the gummint folk who authorize the spending and award the contracts. I did learn that from my time ad Brown & Root, who have always lived on gummint contracts.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM

971 posts, read 1,453,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

It seems to me that it would be unfair to add the tax to the gas to pay for the road. People over the state would be paying for the road that might never see or ever use the road. Make the people that use the road pay for it with the toll.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
It seems to me that it would be unfair to add the tax to the gas to pay for the road. People over the state would be paying for the road that might never see or ever use the road. Make the people that use the road pay for it with the toll.
Well, you're assuming that the project is a good idea, which I and others who actually use I-70 disagree with. I have no problem with a moderate toll for a good purpose. This proposal has neither.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
If I-70 were to become a toll road, Missouri would become only the second state in the Midwest west of the Mississippi (besides Kansas), not to mention only the third west of the Mississippi, to feature interstates which are tolled. I think only Kansas and Oklahoma feature tolled interstates. Texas may have some tolls in Houston.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
But one of the key reasons there's no money for this "necessary" project (which again is still in question) is because of the state's rather ridiculously low gas taxes. Bring it up to at least average first before doing anything wonky like tolling.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
But one of the key reasons there's no money for this "necessary" project (which again is still in question) is because of the state's rather ridiculously low gas taxes. Bring it up to at least average first before doing anything wonky like tolling.
Using your own statement of "ridiculously low gas tax", I would have to counter that the other states have ridiculously HIGH gas taxes. Since the '50's, Arkansas has charged higher prices for their gasoline and their roads have been consistantly worse than MODOT's roads. A raise in gas tax only increases the cost of anything transported such as groceries, utilities and services by all in Missouri.

The I70 project (if necessary) should be a short term cost project. Once a tax is put on......it never comes off. IMHO

Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
We have the 44th lowest gas tax in the country. Until it's in line with other states our size, I will never support a toll.

But if you're coming from this argument with "all taxes are bad" then there's little use for dialogue because I don't believe that to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri