Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 13,407 times

Advertisements

I plan on building myself a tumbleweed on the back of a trailer. (look up tumbleweed tiny house co if your unfamiliar) The problem is that I can't build it in my backyard because of dumb city laws and it would be too tall to build in my garage. So what if I rented a lot at an RV trailer and boat storage place and built it in my paid for lot? Would that work? Also, would I be able to live in my trailer at the storage place once its complete if the place has 24 hour access? If I cant do that I'm planning on putting an ad on Craigslist for private outdoor travel trailer storage on the corner of someone's rural property where I would pay them rent to have it there and then I would just live there. Btw I currently live in lake st Louis Missouri and plan on living in my tumbleweed in foristell Missouri if I cant live in it at the storage facility. Also, I would be living in it for only 1 year so that I can save up money so i can go back to college. Then I would most likely move out of it but hold on to it and use it as an actual travel trailer for road trips and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting7 View Post
I plan on building myself a tumbleweed on the back of a trailer. (look up tumbleweed tiny house co if your unfamiliar) The problem is that I can't build it in my backyard because of dumb city laws and it would be too tall to build in my garage. So what if I rented a lot at an RV trailer and boat storage place and built it in my paid for lot? Would that work? Also, would I be able to live in my trailer at the storage place once its complete if the place has 24 hour access? If I cant do that I'm planning on putting an ad on Craigslist for private outdoor travel trailer storage on the corner of someone's rural property where I would pay them rent to have it there and then I would just live there. Btw I currently live in lake st Louis Missouri and plan on living in my tumbleweed in foristell Missouri if I cant live in it at the storage facility. Also, I would be living in it for only 1 year so that I can save up money so i can go back to college. Then I would most likely move out of it but hold on to it and use it as an actual travel trailer for road trips and whatnot.
What are you going to pull it with? Not a car, that's forsure....

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
You'd be better off buying one of these, used.....less weight and much cheaper than building out of wood...

http://www.lazybtrailers.com/Other%2...al%20cargo.JPG

Old 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Uh, no, storage facilities are not places to live, even if you are storing your trailer/RV there. It is highly unlikely you will find a manager or owner of such a storage facility allowing you to live on their property in the maner you have described.

I would suggest holding off on the construction of the tumbleweed and looking into becoming a dormitory RA on campus with your living provided for by the college/university as a means to save money and have a place to live.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
What are you going to pull it with? Not a car, that's forsure....
My friend has a very large truck that I could borrow to tow it or I could rent a UHaul towing truck to tow it. I would only need to move it once from the lot to where ever I end up setting up camp.
Quote:
You'd be better off buying one of these, used.....less weight and much cheaper than building out of wood...
I am going to build a house, not a tin can. I would need to frame that with wood anyway for the insulation. I plan on making it just like you would make any other house with siding, a gable roof, and wiring.
Quote:
Uh, no, storage facilities are not places to live, even if you are storing your trailer/RV there. It is highly unlikely you will find a manager or owner of such a storage facility allowing you to live on their property in the maner you have described.
I know they aren't meant to be lived in, but is there an actual law or zoning issue against it? If it has 24hr access that means that theoretically I could just be working on fixing up my trailer 24/7 and I just so happen to take a 6 hour nap on the job every now and then. From what I've learned, houses permanently built on a tow-able trailer count as a trailer, not a house and that's how people are able to live in tumbleweeds and get past the minimum square footage laws. Anyway, I would only have to stay there until I found someone willing to let me park on their land. That's where I really hope I don't run into any trouble and since it will only be for a year or so I think I will be ok unless someone really hates small houses and reports me or something. Could someone do that and make me leave?
Quote:
I would suggest holding off on the construction of the tumbleweed and looking into becoming a dormitory RA on campus with your living provided for by the college/university as a means to save money and have a place to live.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm dead set on building a tumbleweed. It's how I want to live and I will still have it after college as a vacation home / travel trailer or maybe even a permanent residence if I really like living in it.
Oh and thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM

buuummp

Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,067 times
Quote:
buuummp
One of the terms of service - those pesky forum rules you agreed you had read when you signed up to citydata - "Do not post in your thread ("bumping" it) just to have it appear on the top of the forum."

If I had a question about a law or zoning regulation in a particular community, I would probably call the courthouse of that community and ask them.

As to state law - Self Storage Laws - Missouri "Leased space not to be used as residence--operator may enter space, when--occupant to furnish operator certain information."

Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
What I would say is at the cost of material today, you could possibly be better off renovating an old style Air Stream travel trailor. You will learn pleanty about construction, weather, electricity and plumbing before you are done. When you are done you won't have any trouble with the law or with an RV park. It will last a long time and you will get your money back when you sell it.

Last edited by linicx; 02-19-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,322 times
Great suggestion about the travel trailer but they are very specific in materials and techniques in order to fix them , and you would be entering into the automotive world too if you aren't already able to tow it...meaning the wheels, frame, axel, ties etc etc. I have one...I bought it "fully restored" the problem was the guy skipped the step he couldn't do and that was repairing the frame hidden under the shell. One years later via 60 years of electrolosys the frame gave way...here came the $4,000 repair bill by a very specialized fellow who restores these trailers for a living. I wouldn't get involved in these unless you want to keep it long term, that said they are great. A 1950's canned Ham might be the way to go. You can get them cheap if you look and fix up as was suggested but watch out....you need to see what is under the floor unfortunately.
let me know how you are doing with your house making and plan. I think its an awesome one, I am trying to do something similar here in San Fran with my trailer...there is a way its knowing the right people at the right time....
If you want to compare notes drop my your email and we can chat as I am not one for these forums...looking for a way to do it brought me here too.
Cheers
Jeremy

Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
The Air Stream was always well constructed, and the original was built to be towed by a car. Generally speaking these trailors were top of the line and very well cared for. I would not expect to see frame damage unless the unit was in a tornado, a flood or a major accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri