Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,252 times

Advertisements

Ok. A friend of mines was staying in a house and her lights and gas got cut off. She then continued to stay in her house. I went to visit her and found her and her 2 step-sons in a house and she told me she was fine staying there. I offered for her and her 2 sons to use my house to take showers and come over and watch TV at my house but informed them that they could not live with me or stay because it would violate my rental agreement. One day I came home and one of her sons was having a barbeque at my house and I told them that they had to leave. He told me they didnt have to go anywhere because he lived her. Whenever the cops came, they said that they didnt have to leave because he is a resident here and the boy was smart because he lied and said that he lived here and the cops believed him. So I called my landlord immediatly to let him know what was going on and he even talked to the cops and said that he wasnt going to evict me. But the next day I got an eviction notice on my door and to top it all off, it is March and I paid up my rent until May (voluntarily). Now whenever I call the landlord he tells me not to call his phone and curses me out BAD. Keeps telling me to get a lawyer and meet him in court because he refuses to give me back a dime. Can he get away with doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Worse come to worse you just keep living there and eat up your rent money.Last i heard it takes at least 90 days to evict someone. You really should talk to a lawyer over the telephone.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
evictions can be tricky, but if he has a lot of experience with them it's possible to get them done quickly. A landlord friend of mine has mentioned in as little as 30 days. If the police were involved in the situation, simply producing your rental agreement should have sufficed for making the "friends" leave. Rental agreements will typically show the names of all parties involved on the lease, and is a legal document able to be used for prosecution, eviction, etc...or in your case, removing individuals from property that they have no right to be at.

I'd be curious as to what grounds the landlord plans on evicting you. If your rent is current through May, and you haven't proved a nuisance to the neighbors, destroyed property, etc he may have a hard time in court...Unless he's unlawfully found a different occupant to take over rent, and you're in the most popular part of town, I also don't see much benefit for him to evict you in the first place...Unless he just doesn't like you.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM

492 posts, read 631,573 times
What does your lease say? Did you both sign it and for how long? I would give your landlord a few days and then go talk to him in a calm and polite manner. Hopefully he will have had time to cool off.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Wait, why did the cops come in the first place? This story is very strange to me, and I would urge you to consult a lawyer. I'm not sure where you live, but there should be free legal assistance to be had somewhere if you can't afford to pay. If you let me know in what city you live I will be happy to try and look something up for you or ask a lawyer friend.

I'm in no way seeing grounds for eviction here, but I'm also not an expert. You need someone who's not only an expert but will be an advocate for you.

Best of luck to you; no matter what happens I hope you'll come back and update us. I'll be thinking about you!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default no good deed goes unpunished

OP, as your landlord suggested, get an attorney if you want to fight this and contiue living there or are physically evicted before your pre-paid rent runs out. I suspect there is no way the landlord can keep pre-paid rent money but may be able to keep any security deposit (read the terms of your lease). Any future communication with your landlord should be in writing via certified mail, signed return receipt requested. "He said/she said" will get you nowhere in court.

It might be best to just find another rental come May and chalk it up to lesson learned in regard to the way your "friend" and her son took advantage of your generosity. In the future don't turn over keys to your rental to anyone not on your lease. Such an action would have been easily avoided had your "friend" and her family not had free access to your rental when you were not home.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri