Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 AM

20 posts, read 41,113 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am paranoid??

I have been trying to find out about personal property taxes. I have asked on this forum repeatedly, checked the government websites regarding taxes, etc. I am not at all familiar with personal propety taxes, since we do not have them in Iowa. Since we are contemplating a move to Missouri, I am trying to gather all the information I can so that I will have no surprises later.

I have found information on how assessed value is figured (on percentage of market value, etc.) but not what the actual tax would be. Would somebody give me an example of what this would amout to??

For instance;

On a 2001 Buick LeSabre???_________________________

On a 12 foot wooden boat and trailer?? _______________

On a two wheeled utility trailer??_____________________

On a $200,000 house??_____________________________

Any information or even estimates will be appreciated.

Regards, ju539
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default No need for paranoia...

Hi there...you probably haven't received an answer because it's a very complicated equation, and varies from county to county.

Go to the assessor's office in whatever county for answers.

I called my county assessor and found out that they take the blue book value of a vehicle, trailer, etc and divide it by 3.
With that 1/3 value, they multiply by the tax levy, which changes every year, decided by the voters each September.
The levy in Taney county for last year was 4.8911.
So...your 2001 LeSabre might book for $7500. Assessed at $2475. Your personal property tax is $121. If you live in Taney County.
AND...for vehicles from 1997 - 1993, they automatically assess them at $200...meaning your personal property tax is $10.
For vehicles/trailers etc. from 1992 and older they're assessed at $100...meaning the tax is $5.

Real Estate is different...and similar.

You would take the appraised value of the home...multiplied by 19%...gives you your assessed value.
The assessed value multiplied by the levy...again, it varies by where you are and also varies each year...but on a $200,000 home your assessed value would be $38,000. Then x 4.8911 makes your tax $1,858.62.

Hope that helps.
Again, you'll need to get the details from the county in which you live.

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 09-11-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 09:26 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Wow,,, and I've been called a geek about my quest for information!!!

Yea, as the wondrous LJ has said, it varies from county to county, location to location, year to year, and even w/in the same year - if your property is 100 yards that way, be totally different than ifin it was over here. Me, I just pay it on the prop I have in MO, shrug my shoulders as curse the taxation w/o representation and sip anudder beer.

Best suggestion besides those links you were provided in the other thread at this point my aching noggin can say is to call the county courthouse/assessor/tax peoples that you think ya might be interested in making your home, and give them the list of items you are interested in having there... G'luck.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 41,113 times
Thanks Lake Junkie;

That is exactly what I wanted to know!! Without some examples it is an unknown factor in the equation. I knew there were taxes, but there was no indication of how much. Now I can have a better idea of the cost of living in Missouri.

I don't go through life with my head in the clouds saying,"Whatever".

Regards, ju539

Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
If you can swing it make sure you move here after the first of the year. If you move in towards the end of the year taxes are due on your vehicles, trailers etc for the entire year! Ain't non of that pro rated stuff goin' on 'round here BTW it was a real blast here in Christian Co trying to figure out what the taxes on the house was gonna be

Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM

77 posts, read 197,746 times
Question Omg

Are you kidding ? Annual Tax on vehicles ?
Vehicle registration on my 99 Monte Carlo is $74 in Taxifornia. (plus smog check every other year)

What does Veh. registration run in SWMo ?
( I know smog check applies in KC and StL )

Kelley BlueBook value roughly $4900 ...
Tax on 1/3rd or $1633+= $79.81+-
Tax , every year on my frickin' car ?
(and could they pick a worse time of year ... just after Christmas ?!)

Should I be thinking NWAre-Kansas, instead of SWMo ?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
I'm a thinkin that got that thar tax in Arky too.... Not sure about Okie though...

Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
no tags?

Serious???

Ok I pay $85 a year for tags on my 99 SUV .... regardless of the year or if its a clunker ..its not but .. ya know ................ wow .. I might like this personal property tax ...hmmm

and property tax in Illinois a house that is 200,000 = would be more like 5,000 in taxes per year!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
I wonder if farm property is taxed differently and if so .......... how many acres to be considered a farm ..and what % is it then?

and I just wanted to say this is an awesome question ..and great feed back! I thought of all this but was too dang wired to ever post it!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastescapee View Post
What does Veh. registration run in SWMo ?
You can call the license bureau for the town you're interested in...and give them the make & model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastescapee View Post
Tax , every year on my frickin' car ?
(and could they pick a worse time of year ... just after Christmas ?!)

Should I be thinking NWAre-Kansas, instead of SWMo
...when we took in the whole picture, like how much less our property taxes were...we DISliked the MO tax ding the least...please let me know if there's someplace better that doesn't have taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri