Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

Well, in my last thread all of the responses made me pretty excited about the University of Missouri, so I'm going to drive down and check it out. I work 6 days per week and have 15 credits so I only have 1 day to actually visit. I will be doing a campus visit but the rest of the day I will want to check out the city.

Are there any things that I should see? How about a restaurant recommendation, any restaurants that are "famous" in the city that I have to go to? What about a bar to go to in the night? I'm going to stay the night there and leave in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
(going next week)

Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
You could really spend most of your day just wandering around campus and then downtown -- which I would really recommend doing. Campus is really beautiful and there's plenty to see downtown.

My go-to CoMo restaurant is and probably always will be Addison's -- contemporary American sort of fare. But you'd be remiss if you didn't get a slice at Shakespeare's pizza -- still one of my favorite pizzas on Earth and a great spot to people watch and get to know the MU crowd.

And you can't go wrong with having a beer on the rooftop of Big 12. Ok, now this is going to sound strange, but Big 12 is actually called Campus Bar & Grill. The name was changed like 6-7 years ago, but even now no one calls it Campus. Big 12 just stuck (I wonder if that will finally change with us in the SEC next year?)

And if the weather is real nice, any of the parks I mentioned in your other thread are worth checking out, though Stephen's Lake is closer to downtown which is probably best for a short trip.

As far as where to go at night it probably really depends on your preferences -- are you a dive bar, sports bar or lounge kind of guy? I spent pretty much all of the waking hours of my day in which I wasn't studying durin my senior year with friends at McNally's, which is real divey.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM

And check out the calendar on VoxMagazine.com to see if there are any events you're interested in: Vox Magazine

Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM

492 posts, read 630,654 times
I always shop when we go to Columbia. Love the mall on Stadium. Next to the mall is a mini mall with a Maci's and Bath and Body! Across the road you will find a Red Lobster!! Love their cheddar biscuits!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM

If I were only in town for one day I'd probably stick to downtown.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM

140 posts, read 273,747 times
I was going to mention Shakespeare's, but aragx6 beat me to it! I have a BIL/SIL that live up there, so we are in CoMo sometimes, but we usually just stick to hanging out at their house, so I have no other recommendations. But we did eat at Shakespeare's one time we went to visit, and it was good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri