Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Whatever you decide I wish you luck and happiness. With that being said you need to do a significant amount of research first. Missouri isn't homogenous & the state is completely different depending on where you go. Not sure what part of PA you currently live but things in most of this state move at a slower pace than much of the East Coast. Familiarize yourself with Missouri culture (Not stereotypes) and make your decision accordingly. Like Ozarksboy said, many that move here from far away places end up regretting it. I would say that the least amount of culture shock for you would be if you stayed near St. Louis.
It is true that most people in PA live in a metropolitan or micropolitan county, but much of the state has a rather slow pace and low costs outside of the larger cities. One of my favorite spots for hiking is Renovo, a town in an actual mountain valley. I would think many from rural PA would feel comfortable in rural southern MO as both areas tend to have a similar Appalachian and Ozarks culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Yup. Most of PA is very similar to MO.

As James Carville once said: "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between"

Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Yup. Most of PA is very similar to MO.

As James Carville once said: "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is true that most people in PA live in a metropolitan or micropolitan county, but much of the state has a rather slow pace and low costs outside of the larger cities. One of my favorite spots for hiking is Renovo, a town in an actual mountain valley. I would think many from rural PA would feel comfortable in rural southern MO as both areas tend to have a similar Appalachian and Ozarks culture.
One of my best friends is originally from rural Pennsylvania and while he likes Missouri he says it's completely different. They came to visit in December and he said that everyone was looking at him weird since he was wearing shorts and calling the weather "mild".

Oh and for what it's worth even if the Central PA = Alabama comment was true (which it definitely isn't), Missouri isn't like Alabama so it's still not the same

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Weather aside, Rural Pennsylvania (aka: Pennsyltucky) is actually more "Alabama" than Missouri.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,064,668 times
Quote:
Weather aside, Rural Pennsylvania (aka: Pennsyltucky) is actually more "Alabama" than Missouri.
Sounds more like Kentucky than Alabama

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:
No, its more Appalachian than anything as the landscape is similar to West Virginia.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM

492 posts, read 626,598 times
If you don't like Mo's weather, just wait an hour or so. It will change. I read where MO had all four seson's in one day. Springlike in the morning, turning hot, then a hail storm and it was so windy that it blew a horse and buggy off of a St. Louis bridge and then it snowed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri