Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM

65 posts, read 129,859 times

Advertisements

I've taken the time, finally, to go through all the legal material you've taken the time to send me and I realized what I suppose should have been obvious from the get-go. There's no way I'm going to smuggle a handicapped, tubercular (though completely non-contagious) non-human primate into MO. That's just a fact. I'm not happy about it (and there may be other states willing to take that risk -- what risk? I might ask) but I can't overturn a century's worth of legislation by running my mouth overtime. I've learned that.

At the same time, a lifetime companion is a lifetime companion no matter what his skin color, religion, creed or species. I hope we can all agree on that. Simply put, I'm not willing to abandon Mr. Chupps to the glue farms of South Africa, as some have suggested, where I've heard they eat baboons, even the upper classes.

But I do have at least something that makes sense to me. I hope it makes sense to you. Just give me a minute.

I'm going to start an online petition here on this forum to give a jump start to revitalizing some of these archaic legislative efforts we have here in MO concerning non-human primates and their caregivers. I'm told that if I can get enough signatures on anything, the Governor has to take a look. That's a law!

My question is, since I'm relatively new here, do you all think I should start a separate thread for my petition, or should I start it here on this thread? Can I start it here? I'm afraid it may get swallowed up by all this divisiveness.

I'd like to get back on the right foot.

All the best,

LB

Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
First of all, I think it would be a waste of your time because I doubt your "cause" would resonate with many.

Second, I can't imagine anyone but perhaps ypu and a few others being remotely interested in permitting diseased primates of the non-human variety to enter and reside in our state.

Third, all your best efforts will not reverse federal law so it won't accomplish a thing.

Fourth, you're not a resident of Missouri or even the country. That rather negates the entire proposal.

Fifth, that could be construed as advertising and may not meet the requirements of the TOS or would be considered more fit for the Politics board.

Last, I wouldn't be surprised if many here didn't take you or your story seriously in the first place.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
lb coup, you can petition the state of MO all you wish you could even get them to allow baboons as pets.

Your problem starts at the border to the U.S.A.
The USDA does not allow you to import your baboon into the U.S.A. no matter your bond to the animal.

Last edited by snofarmer; 04-03-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
A years ago there was an incident in Connecticut with a chimp. Since that time I believe many states have passed laws regarding exotic animals. I would think you would have to contact each and every state your interested in as well as the local municipalities.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb coup View Post
Simply put, I'm not willing to abandon Mr. Chupps to the glue farms of South Africa, as some have suggested, where I've heard they eat baboons, even the upper classes.
Nobody eats baboons in Southern Africa, no one. There are no "baboon glue farms", despite what you heard from goodness knows who. Hey, here's an idea, why not do what's in the best interest of the baboon? Why not ask the experts for advice, you know people who actually care for baboons? Tell them you want to smuggle a disabled, tubercular baboon from South Africa to the US and see what advice they have for you.

Baboon Conservation in South Africa - the Centre for Animal Rehabilitation and Education C.A.R.E. - CARE, Phalaborwa, South Africa

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 AM

I feel like I'm not getting any support for this.

I also feel that, in my time away, the US has certainly changed for the worse. My God, I can hardly recognize it. What happened to the Land of the Free? (You can bet that when Thomas Jefferson wrote that he didn't only mean human primates.) Or answer me this: Is the pursuit of happiness only for quadrupeds? Is that what Abraham Lincoln had in mind when he forbade the Czar of Russia and his eunuch helper from hunting down Laramie's buffalo anywhere on Illinois soil?

Boys, my mother, who still treads this earth God help her, is 92 and she no longer has the use of her legs even after two sets of hip implants. Should we tell her that she can't enter MO? Should we put her on a one-man trolley or maybe give her suction cups and send her on her way to wander the earth like a spider begging for her daily sustenance? Even if she was contagious, which she isn't? Just like Mr. Chupps? Or send her to South Africa to be eaten like a baboon or rendered into glue? Which would you like?

I'm getting sick.

Is there anybody out there who is a true Republican? I mean in the sense of caring for the republic for which we shall hold these truths self-evident, (and not just for human primates.) Come on, boys, a little democracy here. All I am asking you to do is to let me just ask the others what they think about my petition. Let's get this ball rolling. Let's stop nursing our personal wounds and grudges and do what's best for a non-human primate who can't help himself.

By the way, I am taking Mr. Chupps to the vet this afternoon to get his shots.

LB

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,907 times
Construing the Declaration to include baboons and buffaloes and interpreting the Constitution as a document for the rights of animals is richly comedic.

If you feel like you're not getting any support for this, you are a discerning individual.

This has been a funny thread, and it still holds a little bit of comedy for me, but I can foresee the day when I shall grow tired of it and get a little cranky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb coup View Post
I feel like I'm not getting any support for this.

I also feel that, in my time away, the US has certainly changed for the worse. My God, I can hardly recognize it. What happened to the Land of the Free? (You can bet that when Thomas Jefferson wrote that he didn't only mean human primates.) Or answer me this: Is the pursuit of happiness only for quadrupeds? Is that what Abraham Lincoln had in mind when he forbade the Czar of Russia and his eunuch helper from hunting down Laramie's buffalo anywhere on Illinois soil?

Boys, my mother, who still treads this earth God help her, is 92 and she no longer has the use of her legs even after two sets of hip implants. Should we tell her that she can't enter MO? Should we put her on a one-man trolley or maybe give her suction cups and send her on her way to wander the earth like a spider begging for her daily sustenance? Even if she was contagious, which she isn't? Just like Mr. Chupps? Or send her to South Africa to be eaten like a baboon or rendered into glue? Which would you like?

I'm getting sick.

Is there anybody out there who is a true Republican? I mean in the sense of caring for the republic for which we shall hold these truths self-evident, (and not just for human primates.) Come on, boys, a little democracy here. All I am asking you to do is to let me just ask the others what they think about my petition. Let's get this ball rolling. Let's stop nursing our personal wounds and grudges and do what's best for a non-human primate who can't help himself.

By the way, I am taking Mr. Chupps to the vet this afternoon to get his shots.

LB

Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 AM

If you see no comedic value in my life circumstances, that's great. I feel the same way.

Here is an idea: If you have no interest in my fight for justice, stop returning to this thread.

LB

Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
If you say boys or men one more time in reference to the people of this forum I'm going to scream. I am a woman as as are many of those who post here.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM

I do apologize for that. There's nothing worse in my book than chauvanism.

Can I just put one detail forward in my defense. In Zambia, where I've spent a large chunk of 20 years, the masculine form is used for just about everything, even things and women. It's all men. I guess this chauvanism has crept into my everyday speech. As I said, I meant no offense.

By the way, I forgot. Are you a supporter of my petition or not? Your name looks familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri