Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,586 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am one half of a young interacial couple looking to move to missouri. Only one of us will be able to work, and we are searching for affordable living costs. We dont mind living in a high crime area, the only thing is we dont have transportation. Does anyone reccomend a good place for us to start off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
Welcome - what interests do you and your other half have? What line/type of work are yas considering? W/o transportation, I would then imagine that somewhere like StL or KC, and potentially Columbia or Springfield, would be higher choices, what with the diversity of opportunities and the more potential routes of the mass transit systems. Does it make much difference if you live in which part of the state, as far as your hobbies, other relatives, etc.? That would be my first quick thoughts... G'luck, and give us some more of your desires, and we can give ya some more feedback.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,586 times
Well he wll be the one working, and hes a 35yr old black Man with a wide range of experience in many feilds. Our interest lie in the arts, but we are moving out of necessity, and are trying to patch together somthing fast. I heard St.Louis is very dangerous. Tell me more about the other three places you mentioned? and thankyou for your reply!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
Well he wll be the one working, and hes a 35yr old black Man with a wide range of experience in many feilds. Our interest lie in the arts, but we are moving out of necessity, and are trying to patch together somthing fast. I heard St.Louis is very dangerous. Tell me more about the other three places you mentioned? and thankyou for your reply!
Please do not become yet another victim of the false stereotypes about St. Louis. St. Louis is not dangerous at all unless you are thinking about living in East St. Louis or North St. Louis. As a metro area, in terms of dangerous ones, it ranked 130 on that list. Trust me, unless you are planning on moving to either of these two areas, crime is the last thing you will have to worry about. Also, St. Louis is very tolerant of interracial marriages. Kansas City is not the first place I'd put on my list in Missouri for that. St. Louis is probably your best choice I'd say for interracial marriages. Have seen many black and white couples together in this city...it's actually a pretty common sight these days. If crime is the reason you're not moving to St. Louis, that is a big mistake you are making. Crime occurs generally in isolated pockets. Are you planning on living in the actual city itself or the suburbs....the suburbs begin 6 miles west of downtown, where St. Louis City becomes St. Louis County. The reason St. Louis gets such high crime is because it is one of the few cities in the United States not to be part of a county. It seceded from its own county in 1876. My suggestion is that if you are going to live in St. Louis and are worried about crime, either live in St. Louis County,South St. Louis or the central part of the city...don't live across the river in Illinois or in North St. Louis. North St. Louis and East St. Louis are where the ghettos are.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
As ajf131 mentioned, and as also indicated in numerous threads esp. in the StL forum [which I hope you have glanced into also? ], the 'dangerous' ranking that the city of St Louis has earned is not right - in a nutshell, that study was biased only at the city, not the entire metro area. When I posted my first reply, the preference order was as indicated: StL, KC, Columbia, and then Springfield. As you indicated an interest in the arts, I definitely would recommend StL as high first choice - look through the other posts/threads regarding StL, get a feel for the place via what has been written there, and then come back w/ any additional questions/thoughts, armed then with some knowledge.

As to the other three places, all are great, but have pros/cons compare to each other, as do all locations. Again, feel free to gander at other threads about these places, and see what has been wrote so far, and will gladly offer any suggestions. Again tho', my feel is still that StL would be right up your alley - lots of diversity for employment, not bad metro commuter system [not great, but getting better], good cultural/art base, best durn hockey team in the world , great vittles [including goooooooooey butter cake! ], and wonderful people [as is all of Missouri for that matter ].

Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post

...<snip>...Again tho', my feel is still that StL would be right up your alley - lots of diversity for employment, not bad metro commuter system [not great, but getting better], good cultural/art base, best durn hockey team in the world , great vittles [including goooooooooey butter cake! ], and wonderful people [as is all of Missouri for that matter ].
What??? The Ducks play in Anaheim not Saint Louie

sorry about the hijack

Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
What??? The Ducks play in Anaheim not Saint Louie

sorry about the hijack
Dear sir, and I use that term quite loosely in your regards, but please note that I did say best, not worst - as the two words share the same last two letters, I can understand why someone of your affinity for these quackers could be mistaken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri