Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:30 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

I was drifting off into a deep sleep , i mean't cameras...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Lets just drop the gun arguments for a second , whens the last time you have used Public transit? Before you jump down my throat , ive taken over 4,000 trips with 30,000 miles under my belt on public transit and Amtrak....and have never had any issue.
It doesn't mean you never will have an issue. And just because you don't want a means to protect yourself doesn't mean you should make that choice for everybody.

I've driven over 300,000 miles in my driving days and have never been involved in a serious accident.. Does that mean I don't really need to fasten my seat belt?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
There are lots of cameras on the st louis system. More importantly there is a large unit of police officers assigned to metrolink, which I think is the only real system of concern here. Next time you ride metrolink, count how many stations have officers stationed there and how many officers go through the cars. The crime stats for metrolink speak to it being a very safe environment.

But, again, it is the right to transport a firearm via public transit that is the key question. No matter how justified or unjustified it is to carry on metrolink for protection, there is still the problem of how to transport your firearm between areas if public transit is your mode of transportation. I don't think there is any real question of whether or not to allow, but only prescribe the means by which that transport can happen to prevent widespread theft.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It doesn't mean you never will have an issue. And just because you don't want a means to protect yourself doesn't mean you should make that choice for everybody.

I've driven over 300,000 miles in my driving days and have never been involved in a serious accident.. Does that mean I don't really need to fasten my seat belt?
Well shooting someone in a closed space like a train is very dangerous....and could kill innocent bystanders....which then makes original incident far worse. Thats why i'm so opposed to this , its not like your on a sidewalk where no else is usually around you. A Crowded train is no place for a gun....and driving and taking public transit are 2 different things....your usually alone so carrying and using a gun in case of danger is ok...

Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Lets just drop the gun arguments for a second , whens the last time you have used Public transit? Before you jump down my throat , ive taken over 4,000 trips with 30,000 miles under my belt on public transit and Amtrak....and have never had any issue. Ive been to the worst of the worst cities in this country ie Camden...and East NY with no issues. The issues like somebody said tend to happen off transit in the Neighborhoods....if i'm not mistaken St. Louis , Chicago have cars on the insides of there trains and station areas.... that's a major deterrent to crime. So question why this bill is even needed , i haven't heard of any issues like other southern and Midwestern cities.
So because you personally have not encountered a problem I should place my life on the line by taking the risk purely based on your say-so?

I have not used public transit since I obtained my CCW license (9 years). Public transportation would be highly convenient for me since I live within a two block walk of a major line's stop.

Now care to answer my questions in post #23?

Care to explain why passengers who have previously passed a criminal background check by the MOHP should be denied the right to protect themselves by carrying a concealed weapon (not restricted to firearms per Missouri statutes) prior to (Point A) and following (Point B, C, or D....) the use of public transportation?

Quote:
Well shooting someone in a closed space like a train is very dangerous....and could kill innocent bystanders....which then makes original incident far worse. Thats why i'm so opposed to this , its not like your on a sidewalk where no else is usually around you. A Crowded train is no place for a gun....and driving and taking public transit are 2 different things....your usually alone so carrying and using a gun in case of danger is ok...
The ride on public transit is likely the shortest part of the CCW holder's journey or day and yet you choose to deny them the right to defend themselves before and after riding public transportation until they reach home. There was no "blood in the street" as predicted in 2003 when CCW passed in Missouri and there is no rational reason to believe that allowing CCW holders to transport their concealed weapons on their person/bag while using public transport would result in "blood on the train/blood on the bus".

Your repeated myopic statements about concealed weapons being used on public transportation instead of being transported by an individual to and from those places they alreadylegally carry daily really exposes your irrational fear-based bias, IMO.

What is your experience with concealed weapons? Have you ever taken the CCW class in Missouri or any other state and obtained a license? Have you ever even read the Missouri Concealed Weapons and use of lethal force laws? I suspect the answer is no not only because of your focus on "gun" instead of "concealed weapons" because additionally because the statements you have made show a clear lack of understanding of even basic firearms safety. But please, answer the question and humor me just the same.

You do know of course that violent felons are carrying concealed on public transportation with complete disregard for the law don't you? All people like you are doing is stopping the law abiding whom have undergone criminal background checks and training from using public transportation. Simply stated, your logic is flawed at best and your naivety dangerous.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 05-21-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I've repeated this in a prior post, and will do so again here. I've used the Metrolink every time I've gone to the airport and have been panhandled once. The bus I used one time, when the radioator on my car blew. In this case, I was approached by a panhandler, and when I was at the Grand station switching over to Metrolink, a fist fight was within about 30 seconds of breaking out when I beat it on out of there, and onto the Skinker-DeBallievre line. These are my factual stories. Does it rise to the level of carrying a concealed weapon? Depends on the day you catch me I suppose.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^Being approached by a panhandler could be, on a bad day, a reason for you to pull a weapon on someone?? This is like exactly the reason I don't like guns outside of the home.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Being approached by a panhandler could be, on a bad day, a reason for you to pull a weapon on someone?? This is like exactly the reason I don't like guns outside of the home.
Exactly , if you ever visit the Northeastern cities , panhandling is very common but these people are non violent and just down on there luck. Pulling a gun could make a rather harmless situation very dangerous... I think Drivers and operators should be armed like they are in certain parts of Europe.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Exactly , if you ever visit the Northeastern cities , panhandling is very common but these people are non violent and just down on there luck. Pulling a gun could make a rather harmless situation very dangerous... I think Drivers and operators should be armed like they are in certain parts of Europe.
Care to answer the questions I asked of you in posts #23 & #35 ?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Why you should carry a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri