U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2006, 05:22 PM

226 posts, read 938,243 times

Advertisements

I'v looked on the web and MO has so many resorts I don't know which one is really nice.

Coming in June 07 with my family of 5 from Phoenix. We want to be able to walk from our cabin right to the lake and go boating....

Any places you would recommend??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 PM

99 posts, read 331,097 times
Default advice

Lake of the ozarks is nice and there is the most to do around there.
Waterpark, themepark, mini golf, go carts, and tons of restaurants
and shopping (outlet mall). Any resort or cabin on/near the lake would
be good but be aware that the lake there can be very dangerous. There
are TONS of boats on that lake, including cigarette boats going 80mph,
and cruisers with 5 foot wakes, and can make a day of boating turn into
a fight for survival! But its possible depending on the boat size. I would
recommend Southwood Shores Condos. Tons of amenities and close to
everything, boat slip access available.

Otherwise look into table rock lake area. Branson is wierd but Table rock is
gorgeous and clear and not nearly as over developed and crowded.

Look into Mark Twain too if boating is the main goal. Hope that helps

DM1

Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM

226 posts, read 938,243 times
Great information. Table rocks will somewhere I look into. Don't want to be in a crowded area...

Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,889 times
Default resorts in missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
I'v looked on the web and MO has so many resorts I don't know which one is really nice.

Coming in June 07 with my family of 5 from Phoenix. We want to be able to walk from our cabin right to the lake and go boating....

Any places you would recommend??
As for resort areas in Missouri:

If you're really into night life, shopping, entertainment AND boating, then Branson is the place to go. They have tons of live shows, lots of shops and an outlet mall. They have a theme park called Silver Dollar City which has rides, as well as a lot of crafts people who demonstrate the crafts of the people in the Ozarks in times past. There is also a water park called Whitewater. There is a play based on the book by Harold Bell Wright titled "Shepherd of the Hills". Springfield which is a medium sized city is about 45 minutes North of Branson as a Bass Pro Shop which is huge. They also have a wildlife museum on the premises. There is an underground cavern called Fantastic Caverns which you ride through in Jeeps. Branson is just a few minutes from the Missouri/Arkansas Line so you can day trip into Arkansas. The scenery is breathtaking as you are in the Ozark Mountains...however...remember...this is Missouri...our mountains are quite a bit smaller than yours but no less beautiful. All in all, if I only planned to make one trip to missouri, that would be my choice. As for resorts there...I don't know much about them individually. I can't help you there as I usually camp out when I travel.

The Lake of the Ozarks is the second most popular resort area in Missouri.
They have shopping and live entertainment but not as much of each. The lake is the main attraction there. The scenery is beautiful there as well.
They have a nice outlet mall there and lots of entertainment for kids as well. There are lots of arcades, miniature golf parks, go cart parks and the like.
The lake is breathtaking. The main drawback to the area is that there is only one main road through the whole area and unless they have done something major to it since the last time I was there...the traffic jams are horrendous.
Traffic literally creeps through the 30 mile stretch that is the resort area.

Another resort area is Warsaw. They don't have much entertainment or shopping, but they do have two major lakes which intersect there. There is Truman Lake and the Lake of The Ozarks. Needless to say their main attraction is Boating and Fishing. They are far less commercialized than the two listed above.

A local favorite is Pomme De Terre lake...Pomme De Terre being french for Apple of The Earth or "Potato". Don't ask why that name...I've never figured it out and I live here! The locals call it Pomme Day Tar. Anyway, there is not much to do around there except Boat and Fish..however, it is only 35 miles from Warsaw, and 35 miles from the Lake of The Ozarks at Camdenton, 50 miles from Osage Beach, and about 50 miles from Springfield. It is not Commercialized at all and it is a beautiful spot to vacation.

The other area I can think of off hand is Table Rock lake at Shell Knob Missouri. It's a resort area with boating, and fishing. There is a state trout park called Roaring River about 10 miles north of there. It is only about 15 miles north of Eureka Springs Arkansas..a very popular tourist area. They are on the edge of Beaver Lake...one of the largest lakes in Arkansas. They have a Passion Play there that runs continuously during the spring, summer and fall. There is a museum of bibles, a drive through replica of the holy land, and many other exhibits. They have a museum of religious art there as well. The town is set on the side of a mountain> It dates back to the early 1800's. The entire town is full of quaint little craft shops, and the like. It is a very popular attraction around here as well. There are a couple country music shows at night if you like that sort of thing.

All in all, I would say you can't go wrong in any of the places I listed above.
If you don't care for one area, the others are all within driving distance for a day trip. As for individual resorts...again...someone else will have to comment on that for you.

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 63,564 times
Default cabin or resort on the lake?

Heaton: There's so many great places in Missouri to choose from. I'm guessing that you'd enjoy a location on the lake that is secluded but not too far of a drive from shopping and dining. May I suggest Lake Pomme de Terre, Stockton Lake or Truman Lake in the Warsaw area? There's places out here that will fit anyone's budget.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,238 times
I live at the lake of the ozarks year-long and can tell you its a great place to be at. If you are worried about big waves i would suggest anyplace above the 47 mile marker and up or down the niangua arm but it still gets a little rough down there sometimes. It all depends on what you are wanting to do. Like if your gonan want to fish alot or just go out on the boat and cruise and relax ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or