Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
I was a transplant from the east 40 some years ago to mid mo, and would like to retire in NC: Hendersonville to Greenville sc area.

I was of the opinion that Cost of living was about the same as here in MO. I live in Jeff C, and what i do like is when w get the transplants of Chicago warlords our police get them, and send them apacking! I have an idea that they are sent here to lessen their crime stats in northern cities, and unfortunately Columbia has really changed over my 40 years, and you never heard of a shooting or murder. Occasionally a domestic spat ended ugly, but not like today. this is a non union state, unlike upper midwest where prices are much higher.

I have always had pretty good luck with contractors, and fix it people in general. Farmers teach their children how to do things, that city kids do not learn.

I will be closer to family when I move, and would welcome any trivia about the hendersonville to greeenville /spartenburg area. Also, any opinions about difference in COL between carolinas, and MO.
Missouri is certainly not a "non union" state in terms of economics, it is in fact NOT a "right to work state." Just to clear up reality with facts.
Prices for 'housing' are in fact NOT much higher in the Upper Midwest, however, they are generally greater because median household income and wages are substantially higher than the majority of areas further south. This is particularly true for the Twin Cities, an area with the strongest economy in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Missouri is certainly not a "non union" state in terms of economics, it is in fact NOT a "right to work state." Just to clear up reality with facts.
Prices for 'housing' are in fact NOT much higher in the Upper Midwest, however, they are generally greater because median household income and wages are substantially higher than the majority of areas further south. This is particularly true for the Twin Cities, an area with the strongest economy in the Midwest.
Especially outside of Kansas City and St. Louis area. Unions don't hold much power. It basically is right to work in the rural areas. Some unions jobs are good like the SKILLED labor trades. Better pay and generally better qualified workers. Compared to down here where many of the workers are illegal and do terrible work.

However, most unions are useless. Like SEIU, NEA teachers union which are just liberal hacks. The $15 an hour burger flippers. Those are BS unions.

MO is more like a southern state in most aspects. Religion, politics, in fact more heavily Republican than most southern states, extreme abortion laws, and pro freedom gun laws. Actually more pro gun than just about all the other southern states except AR and MS which are the same gun law wise as MO.

Down here in Florida we seem more like a north eastern state now. Our gun laws are very restrictive when compared to Missouri, way more strict, more taxes on stuff and more regulations on everything down here. You need a permit or license to do anything. Politics wise we are more balanced out too compared to Missouri which is lopsided heavily Republican. Our Republicans down here are much more moderate leaning too and not right wing to the extreme like the Ozarks Republicans.

For example, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas can't get constitutional carry passed. Their Republican leaders kill the bills. Georgia speaker of the house wont let permitless carry pass he said recently. Missouri rammed it home in 2016.

Can you ship Jared Taylor and Eric Burlison down here? I'd love to have Burlison in our FL Senate. Pass some of that permitless carry here.

Anyway, Missouri politics don't resemble the rest of the Midwest surrounding it much. The Republicans in those states seem more moderate. They act more like Republicans in nearby OK, TN, AR than they do Iowa for example. Except as I pointed out more to the right than other southern states in some aspects.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
This contention depends largely upon where most of those stats are originating from......which, without even having to think about it twice, I'm convinced is metro STL. Far worse than a state that contains Chicago? That's hard to fathom. Has to be because both Chicago and Illinois have a much larger population than STL and MO.
I actually agree with you concerning state-to-state comparisons. I was simply responding to the baseless assertion that was quoted.

Although, I don't see how it's hard to fathom that StL/MO is more dangerous than Chicago/IL. You even implied that the criminal element may be more dominant here in MO relative to our small population. And your comment about StL? I'd argue that the relatively wealthy suburbs actually balance the crime rate and are probably safer than most places in Missouri.

And I would go a step further. Crime is correlated with income. And Missouri is noticeably poorer than any other state in the Midwest. Poor incomes are so much more widespread here, across both urban and rural areas. This manifests in a multitude of issues, from drug abuse to a lack of law enforcement resources.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM

60 posts, read 35,211 times
One thing for sure about the mozzo is it's more of the good ole Amarican way .. not mid this or upper that or west this or border that ... The truth is the boothill of mozzo was stolen from Arkansas and is stuck beetween Tenn and Ark plus the boothill is also in the Delta .. And the other southern part buy ok is more southern then there South ... Beverly hillbilly **** ... Sorry just sick of seeing everyone hate on mozzo while there more intitled of claiming southern then wv pa Delaware that's what's grinding my gears today ... Showed me

Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny cash town View Post
One thing for sure about the mozzo is it's more of the good ole Amarican way .. not mid this or upper that or west this or border that ... The truth is the boothill of mozzo was stolen from Arkansas and is stuck beetween Tenn and Ark plus the boothill is also in the Delta .. And the other southern part buy ok is more southern then there South ... Beverly hillbilly **** ... Sorry just sick of seeing everyone hate on mozzo while there more intitled of claiming southern then wv pa Delaware that's what's grinding my gears today ... Showed me
It's bootheel, not boothill

Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM

Missouri passing stricter abortion laws compared to other nearby sister southern states. MO leading the way. Now the gun free zone bill needs to pass asap

https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...226832584.html

Old 03-28-2019, 07:48 PM

639 posts, read 766,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Missouri passing stricter abortion laws compared to other nearby sister southern states. MO leading the way. Now the gun free zone bill needs to pass asap

https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...226832584.html
Missouri is an Excellent State! I'm all for stricter abortion laws and support our 2nd amendment!!! If one doesn't care for that, they can most happily move to a more liberal state and get out of Missouri.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:45 AM

525 posts, read 718,281 times
I was born and raised in St. Louis Metro (West County) in Chesterfield/Ballwin areas.

I left in 2007 for the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. Ever since, I have lived in Mississippi; Orlando, FL; Knoxville, TN; and back to Arkansas (Little Rock). I do miss Missouri and I wouldn't mind moving again for the last time back home. It seems hard to get a state job in Missouri for some reason.

How is Missouri economy overall? I have been told that it has been stagnant for awhile. I know that the City of St. Louis is still losing population due to high crime and white flight. That is sad because St. Louis has such a huge potential.

Missouri has both pros and cons.

Missouri is very scenic from cities to the Ozarks in the Southwest to the Bootheel in the Southeast. Taxes are low and housing cost is moderate depending where you live.

I also noticed that Missouri is leaning more conservative in politics lately losing its status as the bellwether state.

It would be nice if Missouri would increase taxes on cigarettes as a part of the efforts to fight the state's high smoking rate.

I can't speak for rural Missouri but three metro areas off I-70 (KC, Columbia, & St. Louis) are great places to raise a family. Even Cape Girardeau in the Southeast is a nice little city.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 04-10-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post

I also noticed that Missouri is leaning more conservative in politics lately losing its status as the bellwether state.
Many would say it has gone past leaning...it has fallen and it can't get up.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM

525 posts, read 718,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Many would say it has gone past leaning...it has fallen and it can't get up.
I believe so. I was surprised that Missouri went for Trump. Even Claire McCaskill lost too.

The neighboring state of Kansas elected a Democratic Governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri