Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,845 times

Advertisements

Landlords today have no heart, it’s all business and no compassion for the tenant or future tenants they may have. Here is my story:
Last year I moved from Columbia MO to Southern California where I grew up after a long ordeal with the local school district with how they were dealing with my autistic/deaf son and a separation from my husband. After settling into my new home I realized I could not afford to live here, so I turned back to the area I once hated realizing that there is so much to Columbia that I didn't see until I left and came back to California. The people, the land, and more or less, the schools are not as bad as I might have thought. So in December I decided to move back. I couldn't believe how easy it was to obtain employment but how impossible it was to find a landlord to rent to me. Like many others, I made some bad discussions when it comes to my credit. This means I have a horrible credit score. I have a job but no place to live. Why is it that people judge you over a credit score, not if you’re a hard worker or a good person? Every landlord I have encountered thus far has snubbed me off like I was a criminal, which I am not and never have been. I'm a great mom to three beautiful children, hard worker and just want someone to give me a chance. Getting back on your feet can be a difficult task, no matter what your situation.

Are all landlords in Columbia heartless? For me, all I can say is yes. Compassion, faith and trust is no longer a trait that people hold. I thought people were different in Missouri but when I can find more trusting people in California it makes me wonder if living on the streets of Cali is better then moving back. My only option as of now is to move back and live in a motel until I can find a landlord that can trust me.

Thank you for letting me vent, I have just been so frustrated this past month and had to let it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM

195 posts, read 420,782 times
I can answer the credit score question. They want to make sure that you can pay them, and pay them on time. I live in New Mexico, and they do the same thing here. It's not a Columbia, MO thing either.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0675 View Post
Landlords today have no heart, it’s all business and no compassion for the tenant or future tenants they may have. Here is my story:
Last year I moved from Columbia MO to Southern California where I grew up after a long ordeal with the local school district with how they were dealing with my autistic/deaf son and a separation from my husband. After settling into my new home I realized I could not afford to live here, so I turned back to the area I once hated realizing that there is so much to Columbia that I didn't see until I left and came back to California. The people, the land, and more or less, the schools are not as bad as I might have thought. So in December I decided to move back. I couldn't believe how easy it was to obtain employment but how impossible it was to find a landlord to rent to me. Like many others, I made some bad discussions when it comes to my credit. This means I have a horrible credit score. I have a job but no place to live. Why is it that people judge you over a credit score, not if you’re a hard worker or a good person? Every landlord I have encountered thus far has snubbed me off like I was a criminal, which I am not and never have been. I'm a great mom to three beautiful children, hard worker and just want someone to give me a chance. Getting back on your feet can be a difficult task, no matter what your situation.

Are all landlords in Columbia heartless? For me, all I can say is yes. Compassion, faith and trust is no longer a trait that people hold. I thought people were different in Missouri but when I can find more trusting people in California it makes me wonder if living on the streets of Cali is better then moving back. My only option as of now is to move back and live in a motel until I can find a landlord that can trust me.

Thank you for letting me vent, I have just been so frustrated this past month and had to let it out.
you are right about 1 thing: it is business, business, business and if I were a landlord I would be the same way. What guarantee does he/she have you will pay your rent on time. You have shouwn, in the past, you do not always use good judgement. Have you approached the situation offering to give them 3 months rent in advance? That normally will impress someone to give you a chance.

it is easy to understand your frustration but it is just as easy to understand the landlord. I hope you will soon find a place, no, moving to Ca and living on the streets certainly is not fair to your 3 kids. Don't even consider it..Does their father contribute to their support? If not, I would suggest you go after him....

Nita

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Credit score should not matter that much in Columbia. Students have bad credit scores. Sounds like you have something bad on your tenant history; e.g. missed rental payments or a bad rent check.

You can make a written request to the landlord request the exact reason why you were denied. They have to give you the name, address, and phone number for all credit agencies (including tenant check agencies) they used to reach that decision. You might find inaccurate information is holding you back.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Students almost always have to have their parents cosign, at least for their first place, marigolds. I know me and all my friends did.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Credit score should not matter that much in Columbia. Students have bad credit scores. Sounds like you have something bad on your tenant history; e.g. missed rental payments or a bad rent check.

You can make a written request to the landlord request the exact reason why you were denied. They have to give you the name, address, and phone number for all credit agencies (including tenant check agencies) they used to reach that decision. You might find inaccurate information is holding you back.
Normally speaking parents are responsible for students room and board unless the kids are in grad school or much older. BTW, I don't know many kids in college who have really bad credit scores. At least my grandkids and their friends do not. Add to that, the units that are normally rented to students might be totally different from what the OP is hoping to find, different location, differnet amenties, etc.

Nita

Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Normally speaking parents are responsible for students room and board unless the kids are in grad school or much older. BTW, I don't know many kids in college who have really bad credit scores. At least my grandkids and their friends do not. Add to that, the units that are normally rented to students might be totally different from what the OP is hoping to find, different location, differnet amenties, etc.

Nita
Ha! I wish. Me and most of my friends weren't so lucky. I lived on student loans and the $6 an hour I made from my on-campus job. But my parents were willing to cosign at least.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
For the OP, perhaps you can find an independent property owner who would be willing to rent to you. Most of the "heartless" ones are rental/property management agencies with contractual limitations when it comes to selecting tenants.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Yeah, imagine a landlord preferring staying in business by renting to people with creditworthiness who do not have a history of breaking rental contracts. Are they heartless, no; good businessmen/women, yes.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 AM

notice OP never came back to comment. She has posted twice, once in 2008 saying she just moved to MO from Ca and now posts she just moved from CA to Mo last year.It appears she moves from one place to the other every year or so. I think there is something that just doesn't add up here. Regardless good luck to her, hope she finds suitable housing, gets her life in order and can find a good education for her children.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri