U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 PM

97 posts, read 324,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCL View Post
Can any of the people from St. Joseph please elaborate a bit, are there any areas of St. Joseph to avoid?
Very few... and those few are in a state of change at this point, so I would say that in a few years, even those "iffy" neighborhoods will be just fine. (an area called Midtown--however, they are trying to revitalize and have a Weed & Seed program in place as we speak to try to clean it up)

Truthfully, when I moved to St. Joseph 12 years ago, I was single and all alone. I ended up finding a small "inexpensive" apartment in what turned out to be quote "The most crime ridden, worst place in St. Joseph" I was told by new co-workers who thought I should move immediately. (Keep in mind that I grew up in a TINY town, with no one but caucasions and lots of churches. I was very sheltered.) I never really saw anything other than folks "hanging out" I am sure there was some bad stuff going on (drinking, drugs, guns, etc) but I certainly never saw it. I would have never lived there for 1.5 years before moving on to a different neighborhood if I had.

I hope that answers your questions... if you have any more, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 04:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times
Thanks, StJoeFanatic, for answering my question. I had a hunch that the population statistic might be misleading.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:29 AM
RCL

123 posts, read 644,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJoeFanatic View Post
Very few... and those few are in a state of change at this point, so I would say that in a few years, even those "iffy" neighborhoods will be just fine. (an area called Midtown--however, they are trying to revitalize and have a Weed & Seed program in place as we speak to try to clean it up)

Truthfully, when I moved to St. Joseph 12 years ago, I was single and all alone. I ended up finding a small "inexpensive" apartment in what turned out to be quote "The most crime ridden, worst place in St. Joseph" I was told by new co-workers who thought I should move immediately. (Keep in mind that I grew up in a TINY town, with no one but caucasions and lots of churches. I was very sheltered.) I never really saw anything other than folks "hanging out" I am sure there was some bad stuff going on (drinking, drugs, guns, etc) but I certainly never saw it. I would have never lived there for 1.5 years before moving on to a different neighborhood if I had.

I hope that answers your questions... if you have any more, please let me know!

That's a big help, thank you! I just sent you a PM so please let me know if you don't get it. Thank you again for all your time and help here on the forum, it is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 38,961 times
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am going to St. Joseph at the end of September (28th to the 4th). I am going to scout out the area. My Wife, 13 y.o. daughter and I will move to the K.C or St.JoMO area within the year from Orange County California. If you have ever been to Disneyland in Califoirnia, then you hvae been a block from my house. Any way, we need OUT. I will be staying and K.C and have rented a car so I will be driving around looking a howes, towns etc. What should I make sure to see while I am in town? My hobby is photography (website removed) and I think that I need to be blown away with the beauty of the place to get me to give up on the SoCal beaches that are about 15 min from my current home.

Last edited by Marka; 09-02-2006 at 05:30 AM..

Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,001,855 times
endagered propertys what a awesome idea!!!

I bet that keeps value up! and the eye sore down!

what are property taxes like there?
Schools?
daycares?
I just posted Im thinking of this area as well.......... I have ahome daycare now but am thinking I might go all out with a move..and open a larger scale childcare / preschool. not sure just thinking!

My hubby works in auto parts (mgmt) and would have to find a job ..our farm is ENDANGERED TO A DARN HIGHWAY!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

82 posts, read 254,826 times
I've never lived in St. Joseph but I have many friends there and I've visited a million times. I used to be a corrections officer at a maximum security prison in Missouri and I can tell you that, although it's not even close to being the worst place in the world, there are some hoodlems in that town and they do tend to come from the same areas of the city. Anyplace around Messanie is a breeding ground for turds pretty much.

Overall though, you really can't go wrong there. Like I said, there are a couple of shady areas there but about 95% of the place is livable. The north side of the city seems to be the best though. There are some new subdivisions on the far south side as well.

I personally like the place. I like cities that are a bit bigger so I stay down here in KC but I don't think I'd mind St. Joseph. Plenty there for a town its size and it's only a half hour drive to the northern part of KC.

As for the cheap real estate, it's not cheap because it's a real rough neck of the woods or anything. St. Joseph is a city that was built on manufacturing much like what you find in the rust belt out east. When all of those jobs started getting shipped overseas St. Joseph really got hit hard and never has completely bounced back. There aren't an abundance of good paying jobs there so the housing is super cheap. It's really become somewhat of a bedroom community. Many people up there commute down here for work and offset the cost of it by ridesharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri