Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 AM

12 posts, read 29,634 times

Advertisements

Currently I'll be moving in with my sister until i get a job here. I'm not staying with her permanently, but I need anyone who lived or still lives in Columbia. Where are the best area's to live on a tight budget. Not a run down apartment/duplex where your likely to be robbed. I don't have a car so I need a good area that uses the bus to get places. Near the malls and other stores too. I've heard there are bad areas and ghetto areas, which I like to stay away from. I know there has been recent shootings, but I'm moving from a town of 14,000. I feel like its a box that's shrinking here. So I'm moving. Trying to go back to school in the process. I will eventually drive, but right now I need money to even afford one. Any places near IBM, MBS would be nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 PM

no one has an answer?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
How tight is your budget? If you share that I can definitely offer more tailored suggestions.

There aren't many areas I would consider dangerous in Columbia, but there are a few rough patches that you'll want to avoid. The mall is on the far west side of town -- if you might not have a car at first I would consider something closer to downtown.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Columbia is safe. I used to ride my bike there at 2 and 3 a.m. as recently as '06-ish. The Beverly, Belvedere, Dumas, and Frederick apartment buildings near downtown/campus are inexpensive, very hip, and very historic - the Belvedere (where I lived.. still miss it occasionally *sigh*) and Beverly buildings were designed by Nelle E. Peters, one of the nation's few self-employed female architects at the time, ca. 1929. I was a non-driver, and it was a great location. There are lots of buses to the mall, or you can just ride your bike about three miles down Ash St.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Anything between 350-900 on budget. I'm moving so i can do a new start because the town I'm in is small and i feel claustrophobic by doing the same things every week. Yeah, I need to get a job or well find a different one so i can afford a car to drive. I need one near bus routes, not sure what time the routes start. Staying away from Douglas park and ash rd in Columbia. Need a place that includes all utilities. I have my own washer and dryer. Not looking for a small space. A place to put my bike and hopefully near some of the colleges. I do plan on going back.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt1211 View Post
Anything between 350-900 on budget. I'm moving so i can do a new start because the town I'm in is small and i feel claustrophobic by doing the same things every week. Yeah, I need to get a job or well find a different one so i can afford a car to drive. I need one near bus routes, not sure what time the routes start. Staying away from Douglas park and ash rd in Columbia. Need a place that includes all utilities. I have my own washer and dryer. Not looking for a small space. A place to put my bike and hopefully near some of the colleges. I do plan on going back.
Weird that they told you to avoid Ash.. I think they probably meant to say something like 'avoid everything north of Ash, until you reach the Business Loop' (I'd avoid places north of the Business Loop, but that'd be for aesthetic reasons, not safety ones.. heh). I would avoid Rogers/Worley before I'd avoid Ash... Anywhere really close to downtown/campus will be fine.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Yeah, some place where I can actually shop on my own when I can and not rely on my sleepy sister, lol. I have no clue where she's moving to in Columbia, but staying with her is only temp. I was asking suggestions so I'm not likely to get robbed or mugged, or attacked. I'd still have to get used to it. I've only spent a couple nights in Columbia before, so I don't know what it is like to live there.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
$900 is a fortune in Columbia. You could live anywhere you want to at that price. And honestly there's damn near nowhere in CoMo that you're "likely" to be robbed, though I suppose it is more likely in some spots. You'll know 'em when you see them -- the only thing I'll say is to avoid Deerfield apartments (and the other that I can't remember that's right down the street), They're not in a convenient location anyway, but the cheap price has swayed a college student or two that I've known and, while nothing happened to them, they did have complaints about the quality of their neighbors.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Basically any neighborhood that has shootings. I don't know, it's a new experience. Trying not to feel like I'm in a box, like i feel in this town I'm in now.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt1211 View Post
Basically any neighborhood that has shootings. I don't know, it's a new experience. Trying not to feel like I'm in a box, like i feel in this town I'm in now.
Columbia is a sleepy little college town - shootings are ridiculously rare. (I feel less safe in the Virginia suburbs of DC than I did in Columbia, FWIW.)

That said, Columbia's cultural/dining/etc. offerings are awesome for a town of its size, and it's big enough that it has a definite, unmistakable 'small city' feel, rather than a 'large small town' one. The vibe around downtown and aras nearby is sort of a 'Berkeley of Missouri' one.. the outskirts are pretty much normal suburbs in a picturesque/wooded setting, with a notably (Upland) Southern culture once you get out into the true countryside. There are some cool little tourist-y towns in the vicinity of Columbia, too (Rocheport, Hermann [MO wine country!]); KC and StL are nearby for true large city amenities; and there are plenty of outdoor adventure activities in the area.

Heh... I'm sort of a Columbia fangirl, if you can't tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri