Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

We moved back home from Chillicothe after 11+ years. Wish at times I had never left! Things must happen for a reason though so I guess it was to be. The only better time in my life than the time in Chilli was the times we spent plundering the Branson lakes! Chilli was big enough to have most of what anyone would want and small enough not to be congested. And then a little 90 mile road trip to KC was a treat to. I often wonder about the friends that I've lost all contact with up there on the plains. St. Joe was a nice place to go for special outings also. My oldest son is a graduate of MO Western. You can most certainly find time to smell the roses in Chilli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM

334 posts, read 915,260 times
I think Plains10 gives sound advice about coming out to see it first, and be sure to explore the broader region. You may love Chillicothe at first sight, or it may not feel right to you, once you're there. I do suspect, though, that once you're in MO, you'll want to stay, Chillicothe or otherwise.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM
jps

79 posts, read 391,743 times
It's where sliced bread was invented, which, before the internet, was like, the best thing ever.

History of Sliced Bread

Sliced bread 'a world first' | NEWS.com.au

Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Cool Sliced bread

And all the years I live there nobody bothered to tell me? Wait till I get back. Got to have a heart to hearth with some of them locals I used to call friends

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,570 times
Chillicothe tries hard for growth but in reality is just a little corrupt town. The school may seem okay as in education but the promiscuity of girls hits about 12 and bullying is pretty bad with the girls also. High school kids do a lot of partying and vandalism...but there is a lack of anything else to do. The Utility company, CMU, basically rapes the entire community for large sums of money yearly. Any high up or official may talk sweet about it but if you are between the ages of 20-40 and your kids are between 11-18 with no plans to escape for college, stay FAR away. Once you've lived it/know the people more in depth you won't want to be there. Cameron is a better bet, but I'd prefer east side missouri or south missouri. Springfield is a great place with enough opportunity for anyone.
I spent almost 20 years in Chillicothe only to be disgusted with the bigotry, disrespect, poor police department, schooling, wacky churches, and various other things. Oh and Child Rape, Meth use, and burgalary are probably happening as you read this. But if that's what you are into then go for it.
Sure you can have a great time there but you have to pull away from the community and do your own thing/stay out of all your childs business. When your kids are grown and gone go for it...But it is NO place for children.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 AM

163 posts, read 215,153 times
Here's my experience with Chili.
About 25 years ago Mrs. & I were on our honeymoon. We were heading to the Ozarks. We had a pickup with a topper on it that we had a mattress in and slept in. We stopped at a park near the edge of town, it being about ten at night, pulled to the back where we could park, and got out of the pickup to get in the topper. Here was a big mangy looking dog that barked at us; he didn't look any to friendly. We crawled in the topper. About two or three AM a bunch of young folks drove into the park. They were fixing on some devilment, as they were loud and raucossy, and they said, "Hey, some ------- is camping over there. Let's go over and check it out!" We heard this and I began to wonder what we'd be up against.
They approached the truck laughing and hooting and I peeked out to see them in the light of the security light with their beer bottles in their hands. They got close to the truck, when that mangy dog gumped out of the shadows snarling and yapping.
"S---!" exclaimed one , and "What the h---!" Exclaimed another. They lit out for their vehicle and roared off.
We were somewhat taken back by this event but thanked God for that white dog. In the morning he was still standing there, docile and wagging a friendly tail. We fed him some food and headed down the road believing God had sent us an angel in the form of a white dog.

Anyway, I suspect the young people in that neck of the woods were unbridled way back then, sad.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 PM

27 posts, read 67,259 times
Default depends what you're seeking

I know this is an old post but wanted to chime in. Chillicothe may be what you're looking for but of course depends on what you're looking for. I'd agree you should visit before making decision but if you'd tell more about what you want in a town then we can be more specific. Flooding will depend on the specific property and won't cover an entire region. Some wet spots remain. Livingston County is a good place for honest tradesmen & independent merchants wanting to get a little breathing room. So is Linn County to the east (Brookfield). The chain stores are here but many folks will be glad when those die out. Other places will be better for franchising. Plumbers, machinists, welders and such will be very welcome. If you depend on a job then be sure to get your job secured first then sell your home elsewhere before you come.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
I'm moving back to northern Missouri when money and life permits. I'll be fairly close to the area.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Boring boring boring. I have relatives there, living there is to isolated from the rest of the world. Walmart and a womens prison is the big things there.

Don't get me wrong it's not horrible, but it seems mean to me to raise your kids there. There is a small community college near but no real college options

Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Boring boring boring. I have relatives there, living there is to isolated from the rest of the world. Walmart and a womens prison is the big things there.

Don't get me wrong it's not horrible, but it seems mean to me to raise your kids there. There is a small community college near but no real college options
What do you think is mean about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri