U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 02:37 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,619,624 times

Advertisements

What city is going to have the least amount of tornados? I don't want to be this guy or his neighbors!
http://www.ky3.com/news/3903486.html?autovid=Y (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 PM

12 posts, read 41,225 times
Default Tornados

In reference to how many tornado we have in these here hills, I was
doing some research on a Weather Service website and found out that
from 1950 to 2005, Greene County (Springfield) had 27 "significant" tornados
and Christian County (Ozark...where I live) had 20. The definition of "significant" is based
on intensity, loss of life, and property damage.

Based on this definition, I am going to assume that does not include the
numerous weak tornados that dont do much property damage, happen in
remote areas, or that remain aloft and never actually touchdown.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM

63 posts, read 156,441 times
Default tornadoes in Mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
What city is going to have the least amount of tornados? I don't want to be this guy or his neighbors!
http://www.ky3.com/news/3903486.html?autovid=Y (broken link)
I believe they have equal amounts of tornadoes all over Missouri. I live in northeast Mo., and we 'do' have them. I lived in the St. Louis area and we had them there. I also lived in Shelby Co. and we most certainly had them there. When we built our first house in the St. Louis area we put in a full basement, and I had to run to it several times when I heard the sirens.
Where I live now in northeast Mo. they do have tornadoes here too. A few years ago a lady was killed close to where we now live.
Last year asI was sitting in the living room an extremely strong wind almost blew my front door open, then it skipped over my house and hit the neighbor's house tearing up trees and damaging the roof.
We also have a basement in this house. So when I hear the tornado sirens go off I head for my basement. I also have a scanner and can tell exactly where the storm is located. The worst thing to do is to live in a manufactured/double wide home. They really get hit hard, and sometimes the residents are killed.
Arundel

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,173,564 times
I believe statistics show the ozarks have less tornado's. I'll try to find a site for you thaty shows statistics.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,173,564 times
Here, this is my favorite site for tornado info. It has stats also.
The Tornado Project Online!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,884 times
East Prairie, our last Two Tornadoes were in 2005, and they were little bitty F0s

Old 12-11-2009, 06:48 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,232,590 times
According to my very unscientific view Jefferson City never seems to be hit by rough weather let alone tornadoes. The weather seems to part to the north and the south of the city.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:24 PM

880 posts, read 2,642,969 times
This is a funny question! There are towns, villages that have never had a tornado....something may have hit "close by". If you look at the age of homes in the cities there are lots of older homes that have never be "hit" by a tornado. I live in SW Missouri and there are LOTS of houses without basements or tornado shelters. You have a better chance of your house burning down statistically than a tornado hitting the house. That's why you pay for fire insurance but not anything special for "tornado" insurance". Sure, there is always a chance of having a tornado...just like there is always a chance in CA that an earthquake will do damage, a volcano will erupt in the Pacific Northwest, a hurricane will destroy your house in the South eastern coast, or a forest fire will get you if your home is in the woods. City Data used to have a statistic at the bottom of their city information about tornado risk...it is never 100%....

Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM

63 posts, read 156,441 times
Historical tornado in St. Louis
Have any of you ever seen the old St. Louis pictures of the 'violent' tornado that hit them a long time ago? I couldn't believe how that tornado just demolished fine brick homes, most of them two or even three stories high. I supposed the brick homes were strong enough to with stand the storm, but they weren't. I saw those photos in an old St. Louis book.
I live in the very northeast corner of Missouri, and I have been told a lady was killed by a tornado about three blocks from where I now live, just before I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri