U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,303 posts, read 5,977,756 times
Reputation: 4350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I totally agree with this. Too bad all the GOP candidates are pandering to an undereducated, knee-jerk reactionary, teabagging base.
Yes, the tea party is leading the republican party to electoral doom, except of course for the 60 seat landslide in November 2010, which was the biggest single shift in seats from one party to another since 1948, fueled largely by the tea party.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: IN
22,270 posts, read 38,873,811 times
Reputation: 14855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yes, the tea party is leading the republican party to electoral doom, except of course for the 60 seat landslide in November 2010, which was the biggest single shift in seats from one party to another since 1948, fueled largely by the tea party.
If the GOP would find more people like Huntsman, as another individual mentioned, the GOP might actually become more mainstream and respectable- sort of like what the party used to be like under Teddy Roosevelt or even Dwight Eisenhower.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,881 posts, read 11,693,863 times
Reputation: 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yes, the tea party is leading the republican party to electoral doom, except of course for the 60 seat landslide in November 2010, which was the biggest single shift in seats from one party to another since 1948, fueled largely by the tea party.
The GOP would probably get an even bigger chunk of the electoral pie if they adopted a more centrist POV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,303 posts, read 5,977,756 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If the GOP would find more people like Huntsman, as another individual mentioned, the GOP might actually become more mainstream and respectable- sort of like what the party used to be like under Teddy Roosevelt or even Dwight Eisenhower.
There is nothing mainstream or respectable about the modern democrat party led by Obama, Pelosi and Reid. There is a reason November 2010 was a landslide of historic proportions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM
 
Location: IN
22,270 posts, read 38,873,811 times
Reputation: 14855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
There is nothing mainstream or respectable about the modern democrat party led by Obama, Pelosi and Reid. There is a reason November 2010 was a landslide of historic proportions.
You didn't address my previous point. The Republican party has been hijacked by big business and social conservatives compared to 50-100 years ago. As an Independent voter I don't find either political party appealing in their present format at the moment. This is one of the many reasons why the country is in a mess today. No viable third party and a Congress with a basement dwelling approval rating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,303 posts, read 5,977,756 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You didn't address my previous point. The Republican party has been hijacked by big business and social conservatives compared to 50-100 years ago. As an Independent voter I don't find either political party appealing in their present format at the moment. This is one of the many reasons why the country is in a mess today. No viable third party and a Congress with a basement dwelling approval rating.
One of those "independents" who only criticize republicans.

Sure, the Republicans are hijacked by big business, yet Obama far outraised McCain in 2008 on Wall Street and his strong ties with multi-national powerhouses like outsourcing Jeffrey Immelt at GE, who headed up the President's no jobs council. You say the republican party is also hijacked by social conservatives; I say the democratic party is hijacked by unions and special interest groups.

I don't need to go back 50-100 years. Another Ronald Reagan would suit me just fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM
 
Location: IN
22,270 posts, read 38,873,811 times
Reputation: 14855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
One of those "independents" who only criticize republicans.

Sure, the Republicans are hijacked by big business, yet Obama far outraised McCain in 2008 on Wall Street and his strong ties with multi-national powerhouses like outsourcing Jeffrey Immelt at GE, who headed up the President's no jobs council. You say the republican party is also hijacked by social conservatives; I say the democratic party is hijacked by unions and special interest groups.

I don't need to go back 50-100 years. Another Ronald Reagan would suit me just fine.
The politicians of the past don't exist today. Also, I would say that economic growth or lack thereof is highly varied in the US today. You have many places that are doing fairly well and many that aren't. Venture capital and new job growth collect in various clusters across the country and the more diverse the economy is in a "metro" area the more resilient it is during times of recession. I think more effort needs to be made to figure out what states have the right mixture of policies, tax rates, education systems, infrastructure, capital, etc because those are the keys. It doesn't matter if it is a red state or blue state. I have plenty of examples of both that are doing well or poorly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,105 posts, read 3,167,591 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
There is nothing mainstream or respectable about the modern democrat party led by Obama, Pelosi and Reid. There is a reason November 2010 was a landslide of historic proportions.
This. I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the modern Republican Party every day. With that being said, in most cases they are the superior choice to the main alternative. I can tell you one thing, there will be several filled in bubbles on my ballot next to 3rd party candidates in November.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
 
Location: the ass of nowhere (the midwest)
502 posts, read 642,952 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
This. I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the modern Republican Party every day. With that being said, in most cases they are the superior choice to the main alternative. I can tell you one thing, there will be several filled in bubbles on my ballot next to 3rd party candidates in November.
I don't think I can vote for Romney. I actually think he's a decent politician and I like Ryan, but the Republican Party as a whole is still critically flawed and a Romney administration will be deeply under the influence of this corrupted party. Their exclusion of Ron Paul from the RNC was kind of the last straw for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 29,117,779 times
Reputation: 3775
I imagine a lot of the regulars on this thread are part of the 47% of Americans who do not pay federal income taxes. The disdain Romney showed for such a large (and almost entirely working or retired) group of people was very telling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top