Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,170 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I know this is not the typical question you probably get. But here goes, I am older, have a few major health problems and would like to relocate to the st. louis area for health care/hospitals. I do own a home now that I will be selling, its a small home and older rural area, hopefully will sell for 45k. My question is can a person with 700.00 a month afford to live in the st. louis area if they have their house paid off or close to it? I am thinking utilities, taxes, insurance.. is it really as sky high as I have heard? I hear ameren is about 150 to 200 a month just for electric! And that all other utilities like gas trash water are up there too.

I have seen some homes for sale in affton and southwest city for around my price, but have been told affton has gone ghetto and it would be too dangerous, and avoid the city at all cost. I will not rent, its just more comfortable to me to have my own place, and not a fan of condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM

I guess I should say how I manage now in comparison. Taxes are about 185.00 200.00 a year give or take, electric runs about 80 to 90 a month summer, gas about 120.00 a month in winter, water/sewer 35.00 a month, trash is flat 15.00 a month, internet and phone 70 a month. Home and car insurance on one is 71.00 a month. Yes its close, but I find ways to entertain my self, without spending a lot

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Those electric numbers are high for all but the oldest, least efficient of homes -- my mom keeps her house at icebox levels and she pays under $150.

Also, Affton? Not at all ghetto and likely a very good option for you, but so too would many of the south and southwest sides of the city. Many of those neighborhoods are as safe as you can get -- especially because they're filled with cops, EMTs and firefighters who are required to live in the city.

Honestly, I think it will be tough for you on so little money, but I'd do just about anything to have access to the great healthcare available in the St. Louis area, so I think your thought process makes a lot of sense.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the response, I know it will be rough and I will have to live very cheaply. But I also know st.louis has a fair amount of free fun in the form of museums libraries and parks..of course the zoo. Mainly concerned about property taxes I imagine they are the real issue when it comes down to it, saving up for it, I figure I can put 100.00 away a month to cover them. Hopefully its not much higher for a small little house. I lived in st. louis when I was younger but that was a long time ago, its a amazing city as far as its uniqueness and attractions. Shame it has such a small footprint and all the bad seems to overwhelm the good.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:33 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I'm less familiar with specific property tax rates in the suburbs surrounding St. Louis, but I know in St. Louis itself you would be tight, but should be able to stay under $1200/yr for taxes.

I would check out listings in zip code 63109 and 63116 -- it looks like there's some decent little houses under 50K or so.

And yes, St. Louis has an amazing number of free activities -- you are definitely right about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: