Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times

Advertisements

Columbia, Missouri - William P. Barrett - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
It's always fun to see your city or a close by one make these lists, but they change quicker than the weather. I know we get excited when Bella Vista AR makes one of these lists and they do often. We also know the list of the top 25 or 50 places today will be 75% different on the next list, which, btw, is probably going to come out before most of us have a chance to read this list..

Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Much depends on who's doing the picking but college towns are getting lots of interest as potential retirement spots for Baby Boomers. Those Missouri winters would get me down but Columbia has really matured as a community and offers so much more than the days when it was just College Town USA.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I think the only thing that would be an issue for me is that when I retire (you know, in like 35+ years!) I want to travel as much as possible. Being two hours from a major airport would be an issue for me. But other than that, I can definitely understand the appeal of a town like Columbia for the retiree crowd.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times
I agree with you on being near a major airport. Ideally you want to live near a major airport so you can travel more. The smaller airports are more expensive to fly in and out of.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think the only thing that would be an issue for me is that when I retire (you know, in like 35+ years!) I want to travel as much as possible. Being two hours from a major airport would be an issue for me. But other than that, I can definitely understand the appeal of a town like Columbia for the retiree crowd.
Oh my goodness, you are talking 35 years, heck, by then Columbia might have 2 major airports. I am only joking, and you do bring up a good point but I can't imagine that being a reason for not considering a place to retire, plus, there could very well be a interntainal airport. Even depending on a regional airport isn't a big thing when you are retired. So you have to change plans, right now most places, unless you are taling majoy urban communities require flying from point A to B to get to C.

Nita

Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I agree with you on being near a major airport. Ideally you want to live near a major airport so you can travel more. The smaller airports are more expensive to fly in and out of.
you are right about the expense, this is a real concern. In fact we face it here in NWA, Either we have to bite the bullet and pay the price or drive to Kansas City or Tulsa. The positive about this, remember when you are retired you have more time than money, a couple hours drive isn't anything and when you reach the age where you can not or don't want to drive, you have pretty much reached the age where you don't want to travel much either.

Nita

Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM

13 posts, read 34,770 times
I'm trying to decide bet Columbia, Missouri and Evansville, IN. I like it that Evansville has a zoo but I'm pretty sure Columbia, MO doesn't. I like pretty and walkable in daytime at least downtowns. I can't find any real cheap weekly motels in Columbia $200 a week or less. Are their many apartments that take the Sec 8 housing choice voucher? Can someone help me please. I have to make my mind up soon. I need a place that has good public trans also.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
I'm trying to decide bet Columbia, Missouri and Evansville, IN. I like it that Evansville has a zoo but I'm pretty sure Columbia, MO doesn't. I like pretty and walkable in daytime at least downtowns. I can't find any real cheap weekly motels in Columbia $200 a week or less. Are their many apartments that take the Sec 8 housing choice voucher? Can someone help me please. I have to make my mind up soon. I need a place that has good public trans also.
How often do you go to a zoo? It seems like that should be a very minor criteria, not a major one.

Also, isn't Section 8 non-transferable to other states? I don't think they built that program so people can move around on it.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Columbia doesn't have a zoo, and I don't know much about section 8 vouchers, but for a town of its size, public transportation is pretty good -- the busses don't run terribly often, but the coverage is solid.

http://gocolumbiamo.com/PublicWorks/Transportation/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: