U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,923 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We may be moving to Cape G with my husband's job from the surburbs of St. Louis. We don't anticipate it being a permanent move, but I would like to make it the best situation for our whole family.

The Crime index listed on this website concerns me quite a bit.

* What is the Best & Safest Neighborhood to live in?
We have 3 active children & we are an outgoing family so I would like a busy family friendly neighborhood/area.

* What areas do we avoid?

* What is the best elementary school? Private and Public.
Do elementary schools offer orchestra ?

* Through what organization/group do kids play on sports teams?
Indoor soccer leagues? Youth Basketball? Summer Baseball/Softball Any youth golf leagues?
Swim teams?

* Is the Target in a safe area?

* Does anyone know if the area or a specific school district offers free Speech therapy services? (My daughter receives those services foir free through our district)

* Are there any Fitness Clubs?

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 12:06 PM

23,598 posts, read 34,512,982 times
Recently visited Cape for the first time so I can't help you much. What I can tell you is that we quite enjoyed it and found much of it very charming. The river front is a bit hard-scrabble but in an interesting and historic way. We found a mix of obviously old neighborhoods that had seen better day as well as lovely, upscale neighborhoods. There appeared to be a plentiful selection of stores, shops and restaurants.

As for the crime index, relatively few of them are violent crimes - most being property crimes. Especially as a former cop I consider that distinction to be very telling. We never felt "challenged and look forward to a return visit. We believe it can easily be enjoyed and may even consider it if age requires us to relocate to a more urban setting.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-22-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,548 times
Is there upscale rental housing for the uninitiated single female professional?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 AM

260 posts, read 541,493 times
Well the culture there is more southern too compared to St. Louis and it's conservative if that's something you like.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:20 PM

584 posts, read 728,241 times
Cape Girardeau is really pretty safe as compared to larger cities. The north side of town and Jackson MO are good places to look. If you are interested in home you can find most of what is on the market at HouseViewOnline.com. That site has both homes for sale and rentals. KSVS 12 has news from the area. The area is an easy drive from St. Louis, the Ozarks and Memphis. The new water park is great in the summer.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 PM

50 posts, read 105,255 times
If you prefer a more family-oriented community with excellent schools, great homes for sale and rentals, and lower crime rate, look into Jackson which is just north of Cape Girardeau.

Whatever Jackson lacks, Cape is only a short drive away.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM

I recently visited my family in Cape Girardeau and Jackson, Missouri during Labor Day weekend. I don't understand why people think Jackson is southern. I do admit it's country though.

I think the South begins just below Scott City at Exit 82 as you drive down the steep slopes into Benton, MO/Boomland Exit.

By the way, I was shocked when I went to West Park Lanes for bowling. Smoking is allowed there. I can understand about bars including sports bars but bowling alley? The neighboring state of Illinois prohibits smoking in all public places.

I love Missouri but I just wish the state would have a statewide smoking ban including higher taxes like many states. It would also help to reduce one of the highest smoking rates in the country.

I am not into bars but if I move to Missouri, I would like to enjoy places of entertainment without burning my eyes.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 PM

2,114 posts, read 3,319,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
I recently visited my family in Cape Girardeau and Jackson, Missouri during Labor Day weekend. I don't understand why people think Jackson is southern. I do admit it's country though.

I think the South begins just below Scott City at Exit 82 as you drive down the steep slopes into Benton, MO/Boomland Exit.

By the way, I was shocked when I went to West Park Lanes for bowling. Smoking is allowed there. I can understand about bars including sports bars but bowling alley? The neighboring state of Illinois prohibits smoking in all public places.

I love Missouri but I just wish the state would have a statewide smoking ban including higher taxes like many states. It would also help to reduce one of the highest smoking rates in the country.

I am not into bars but if I move to Missouri, I would like to enjoy places of entertainment without burning my eyes.
I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions about Jackson. It has always felt pretty southern to me, although it certainly isn't 100%. I would say Benton hill is a pretty good line for entering the south. With that being said, you don't really enter the midwest until Oak Ridge or so. The area in between is pretty mixed in my opinion.

There are many smoke free places in the Cape Girardeau/Jackson area. If you don't wish to be around it simply go to smoke free establishments.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM

GunnerTHB, I agree that the area between Oak Ridge and Benton is in the transition zone between the Midwest and the South.

I have been to Ste. Genevieve and it's definitely Midwestern. However, I have not visited Perryville yet. I heard it's more like Jackson which isn't 100% Midwestern or Southern. Do you agree or disagree?

My family said Jackson is Midwestern. My family is originally from Arkansas so I guess that's why they think of Jackson that way.

I used to live in Kennett. It's definitely southern like most of the Bootheel including Sikeston.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM

2,114 posts, read 3,319,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
GunnerTHB, I agree that the area between Oak Ridge and Benton is in the transition zone between the Midwest and the South.

I have been to Ste. Genevieve and it's definitely Midwestern. However, I have not visited Perryville yet. I heard it's more like Jackson which isn't 100% Midwestern or Southern. Do you agree or disagree?

My family said Jackson is Midwestern. My family is originally from Arkansas so I guess that's why they think of Jackson that way.

I used to live in Kennett. It's definitely southern like most of the Bootheel including Sikeston.
Jackson and Perryville do have a few things in common, but Perryville has no southern influence at all. It is very midwestern and Perry County isn't even part of the bible belt when it comes to religious statistics. (It may very well be the farthest south county that isn't part of the bible belt)

The interesting thing to me is that Jackson has more southern influence than Cape, but Cape feels more like Sikeston than Perryville while the opposite is true for Jackson. I've always grouped Ste. Genevieve and Perryville together.

I can see why your family would say that. I agree that coming from most parts of Arkansas, Jackson will not feel like the south. I think what it really comes down to is that there is a mix of people who act midwestern and act southern when it comes to food, dialect, social interactions and so on.

I grew up out in the county so how I grew up may be a bit different than the people that grew up in either Jackson or Cape.

I definitely agree on Kennett. Caruthersville, Poplar Bluff, Dexter, Sikeston and Charleston all fall into the same boat in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri