Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,430 times

Advertisements

Im from New Jersey and I cant wait to move to Jeffersoncity.I grew up in the city right across from NY.But I have to have my woods I lived in Jeffcity for a while It works for me.The cost of living is to high here in NJ/NY.It just doesnt have the flavor I like anymore. Sandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 23,488 times
I moved here to Jefferson City about 5 years ago to be near my grandchildren. I enjoy it very much. I think Columbia has a lot more to offer in forms of entertainment and activities. Jeff is pretty quiet and close knit, too conservative IMO. I do enjoy the fact that I can go to Columbia, or St. Louis or even KC in a short time if I want to feel like I am in the real city! I am over 50 and single. I met a wonderful man on one of the dating sites. I don't hang out in bars, don't smoke and am not a bible thumper so I wanted to meet some people around my age that shared some common interests. I enjoy the beautiful parks and paths here and in Columbia. I think what I have seen of this state so far is gorgeous! As with any place, you have to know what you want to do for fun or leisure, and just go and do it! When I first moved here I set out on any weekend off to "explore" the surrounding areas,, smaller towns, and larger ones. I have been pleased with my choice to move here. To each his own, but I love it! Missouri is a beautiful state.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Moving to Jefferson City,MO

Hi Sandra,

I was just wondering if you ever made the move back to Jefferson City,MO from the New York area. I have been here for over 5 yrs. now and still love it. Each year I try to get to another area of the state that I hear friends and co workers talk about. As I mentioned before, I think this is a beautiful state with lots to offer. If you like the outdoors, there are plenty of beautiful parks with bike/walking trails to go on . The Katy Trail is very nice also and it runs for several miles. My fiance' and I have walked on it many times and always enjoy it. Many of the local parks have a small lake or pond also which is beautiful to me. I grew up near the Mississippi River in Illinois so I love being near the water. Not only is it beautiful but also calm and relaxing. The Osage Beach area is nice also. I've been there to shop and eat a couple of times. Springfield is a nice drive away if you want to take a little day trip or leave the area for a weekend.We've done this as well. There are lots of little town within a hour or two that have Festivals, Flea Markets, etc. going on now too. Of course there are plays to attend if you like them. Lots of local talent. There's music if you want to listen to it. You just find the place that's playing what you like to hear. Bigger variety in Columbia but a few nice places here too. Well, I guess if you've changed your mind about moving here, there's not much else I could say. But, if you have moved back "Welcome" and I hope you stay this time!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,218 times
Jefferson City is not a very good place to raise children, I live here with two children and have found that there is a large amount of divorced parents here and it seems that the majority of parents here do not care what their children do. The public school system here is terrible, in fact the Juvenile center here told me "any school other than Jefferson City public schools would be a better choice". There is allot of hidden crime that is not reported in official stats, There is a bad problem with juveniles in this town.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,501 times
There's a good running community here, and the Feds gave the city a ton of money to create bike lanes all over town. As in a lot of places, cyclists have made lots of enemies in the ways they usually make enemies...running stop signs and biking 2-3 abreast on city streets. I say this as a cyclist. I hope you can do hills.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM

IMO, unless there are gun shots going off every day or night in your neighborhood, and the police, undertakers and EMT's hang out regularly for the brisk business there on your street, you HAVE to be exaggerating. Why do you thinks think it's not a good place to raise children? Just because there are divorced parents around that has nothing to do with what some children do or don't do. What does matter is if the children are being raised properly in a good loving environment at home. That CAN happen whether someone is married or a single parent. I have one grandson who graduated 2 yrs. ago from Jeff City public school system and have another grandson due to graduate next spring. I am not aware of any negative effects that most high schools throughout the country aren't also dealing with. Over crowding and need for a new high school to accommodate the influx of more students attending there. Why would you be speaking to Juvenile Center employees? Did you have a kid there? Regardless, that employee should be reported for bad mouthing the public schools here. There are just as many of the same issues or even more to be found in the Catholic and Private schools too. News Flash: No place is perfect. If you can't handle the school system , leave in search of your perceived "Utopian" atmosphere. Sad truth is you will never find it. Undisciplined kids will become juvenile delinquents if there is no one there to teach them right from wrong as small children. Sometimes, even that doesn't work. " If a child is not getting attention for doing good, he will eventually get it from doing bad." So, sometimes it is the lack of parenting and other times it's just the kid.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,761 times
Several people now live there, but the reason that they picked Jeff City as the capital is because it is in between KC and St. Louis. Plus it is very close to Lake of the Ozarks, so everyone can head to the lake after general session and party at Horny Toad Cove

Old 03-09-2015, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 668 times
Question crime rate

According to city data, the crime rate is much higher in Jeff City than Columbia. Why would there be such a huge difference in a small town to a larger city like Columbia?

Last edited by AFruitFli; 03-09-2015 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: added the city name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri