Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM

41 posts, read 172,340 times

Advertisements

I've got the state narrowed down for a move, now I need to narrow it down to an location.

What is the best lake area to own a small farm, Lake Ozark,Table Rock Lake, or maybe even Stockton Lake, taking in consideration, soil for cattle and milder climate. THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 06:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,108 times
What kind of cattle? (yes I am trying to be smart here ... lol)

No seriously beef ? dairy? .. Ava area and ... Texas are where the dairy end is ..
I am in Illinois and were looking in the area as well... We looked at the above to have a dairy farm .. but that fell through ..and I washed the idea! I dont want to work 24 -7

Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 PM

Possibly beef & dairy, but it's a hobby farm not a commercial operation except for raising a few beef cattle for friends for freezer beef. Just need an area with some good grass land mixed with some woods, not a rock pile.

Ava area is out of the question, not near any of the lakes I mentioned.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
I'm watching this thread..... Gotta have me a bassin lake

Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Hey Cali BassMan,

Table Rock claims to be the best, but it's their claim from all I've read, but stay tuned, you never know, one of these Ozarkians might give up a good spot!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreen View Post
Hey Cali BassMan,

Table Rock claims to be the best, but it's their claim from all I've read, but stay tuned, you never know, one of these Ozarkians might give up a good spot!
Well as far as fishing goes, Clear Lake and the Cali Delta are hard to beat. But these fine folks here in Mo. more than make up for it.........

Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreen View Post
I've got the state narrowed down for a move, now I need to narrow it down to an location.

What is the best lake area to own a small farm, Lake Ozark,Table Rock Lake, or maybe even Stockton Lake, taking in consideration, soil for cattle and milder climate. THANKS!!!
The climate is going to be a wash among the three...too close to notice any discernable difference.

Soils is better the farther north you go, but there is plenty of grass around any of those areas to graze a few head of cattle on.

How close to the lake do you want to be? Stockton is going to be the least developed of the three lakes, so you might have an easier time finding cattle property close to the lake (or at least cheaper). The trade-off is that Stockton is a much smaller lake than the other two. That might be good and it might be bad, depending on your tastes.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times
Default Soil & prices...

That's for sure, the areas immediately surrounding Table Rock Lake are going to be pretty to very rocky...the further north you go the more soil you'll find. Also it's a bit colder the further north, of course...

There are some people running cattle around the Galena area...

And pricing will also be affected by how close you are to the more popular lakes.

Then there's lifestyle, which also varies from place to place. Lake of the Ozarks is generally known as the party lake...and Table Rock Lake is a Corp of Engineers Lake and as such is tightly controlled to keep the lake from getting too commercialized. They also are great about watching out for water quality and land use. Table Rock Lake is more of a family lake...although there's a bit of partying that goes on from time to time also. Or so I've heard.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
The climate is going to be a wash among the three...too close to notice any discernable difference.

Soils is better the farther north you go, but there is plenty of grass around any of those areas to graze a few head of cattle on.

How close to the lake do you want to be? Stockton is going to be the least developed of the three lakes, so you might have an easier time finding cattle property close to the lake (or at least cheaper). The trade-off is that Stockton is a much smaller lake than the other two. That might be good and it might be bad, depending on your tastes.
Been to Stockton and was not on the top of my list, however I did like the town with the nice size lots, it just didn't seen congested, just kinda' far from a home Depot etc. or large retail store for shopping, if there were any farm stores I didn't see them, my wife actually liked it better than Cassville until I told her I read that a tornado hit there a fews years ago and did a lot of damage, however not a concern for me, you have to live somewhere, and now a days there is some kind of crap just about everywhere

With all the good information I've been receiving from a couple forums I think I'll be spending Jan. in MO. I need to see just how cold it gets and hopefully not windy.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:40 PM

879 posts, read 2,877,942 times
Default Cattle and lakes...

My dad had a cattle farm (hobby farm more than commercial) on Table Rock Lake for years. There are still several of them going strong. He's out between Carr Lane and Golden right on the lake. He raised several breeds including a few buffalo. Also raised watermelon (regular and giant) which he sold in the local produce stand.

His farm is/was on the Kings River arm of Table Rock. Bass fishing is abudant in the spring (White Bass) and fishing in general was available right down the hill from his house.

There are several cattle ranches out around the Berryville ARK, Golden MO area.

Take a drive out Hiway 86...I know that there are at least two cattle ranches for sale out there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri