Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 26,102 times

Advertisements

Are there any 'country folk' on here?? If so,have you ever heard of a persimmon seed predicting our winters?? Welllllll....i cut open five seeds today and they all had spoons in them !! guess if old folklore is true,we will be shoveling some snow !!

Thought i would let you all know some of the things i do in my 'spare' time here on my farm....this is Missouri~of course.......

According to folklore (which means it hasn't been scientific proven, or disproved), the severity of approaching winter can be cutting open a persimmon seed and looking at the shape of the kernel inside. Hold the seed carefully with a pair of needled-nose pliers and use a paring knife to slice it open.

If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow is forecasted.
If the kernel is fork-shaped, powdery light snow and a mild winter is predicted.
If the kernel is knife-shaped, bitter icy cutting winds for next few months will occur. It is recommended to cut at least ten seeds to determine the outcome of the kernel shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,217 times
Also if the wasps build their nests high, then it will be a long & harsh winter. Or so I've heard, which is exactly why it's folklore. I guess we are supposed to notice how high a wasps nest usually is....though, they always seem to nest right under the gutters of a roof.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:45 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,548 times
Never heard that. Interesting! Next time my nan makes persimmon cookies Im going to ask for those seeds. Last winter we actually had a our first snow here ever. My bro was actually able to make a 6 inch snowman!!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:46 PM

22 posts, read 117,272 times
I'm curious to know what LAST year's persimmon seeds said. i mean can you believe that ice storm!

i think we should all test these folklores now and bring our findings together next spring. isn't that how the old timers planned their whole lives season to season? did you guys know that there was time without doppler and meterologists? so some of the lore has to have some substantial truth to it. laws of nature and animal instincts are not usually wrong.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,692 times
Grandma (in Michigan) use to say that if the "wooley caterpillar" curled up in a ball that it was going to be a cold winter......come to think of it, they ALWAYS curled up into a ball......must of been true, don't remember to many "mild" winters in Michigan growing up!!

O.Nana

Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Whoopie Snow is coming our way... I am dancing in my pants..... My kids are gonna be happy..... Whooo Hoo I gotta get some sledding toys....

Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
hmmm ... everything I've been reading is indicating a relatively mild winter in these here parts. I guess we'll see but I do have the snow shovel hangin' on the garage wall all ready to go just in case.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Oui I forgot about that.Gotta get me one of them thingie.... but I have a aweful huge long driveway.... gotta be a better way to get that snow shoveling done quicker .

Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Oui I forgot about that.Gotta get me one of them thingie.... but I have a aweful huge long driveway.... gotta be a better way to get that snow shoveling done quicker .
Figger you might hafta invest in one of them there snowblowers or somethin'. That and a coupla good saucer sleds. Maybe they still make those Flexible Flyers with the metal runners. I loved having one of those when I was a kid.

We actually have received about two inches of rainfall this week here in bone-dry Santa Rosa. Who knows, this could be the start of a rainy winter out here. I think my wife was saying that when she was looking in the Old Farmer's Almanac that most of the Midwest is supposed to have a pretty mild winter.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
posted by northbayericthink my wife was saying that when she was looking in the Old Farmer's Almanac that most of the Midwest is supposed to have a pretty mild winter.
Is that what it said last year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri