U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 105,120 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family is looking at a possible move to this area but I was hoping to get a few questions answered. I am an elementary school teacher and my wife is a nurse. We have a 2 year old daughter. We really enjoy the outdoors, but also like going to the movies and decent restaurants (not fancy, just good food/service). I guess this is the order I would put our priorities:

1. Cost of Living
2. Job Opportunites
3. Schools
4. Crime/Safety

Those first 4 are almost equally important

5. Racial Prejudice (we are a mixed race family)
6. Housing
7. Weather
8. Outdoor Activities
9. Food
10. Entertainment

Any information would be appreciated. I'm not looking for anyone to talk me in/out of moving there, just some honest answers as to what it is really like.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,234 times
Smile We've Got All That and More!

The place you are describing is Lee's Summit, MO. We are just east of Kansas City. You would fit right in here and could easily find jobs. Lee's Summit is growing by leaps and bounds..they build a new elementary school every year, I've lost count of how many there are now! We have 3 High Schools, one community college and 2 hospitals. Many medical professionals have moved to this community. We have houses and rental properties for every income. There are many blended families in every neighborhood and any part of town you live in you and your children will be safe. We have great restaurants, a movie theater complex, a shopping center, many parks, a community pool, a large public lake for boating and fishing! We've got it all! Come to town for a visit some weekend...you will like what you see!

Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM

The plan is to come for a visit after school is out this year (end of May/early June). We have some really good friends(they're more like family) that are moving just north of Knob Noster. We're going to help them make the move and check things out while we're there.

Thanks for the information.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:20 PM

bump bump bump :-) :-)

Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
jps

79 posts, read 361,964 times
Knob Noster's kind of out in the boondocks. There's an Air Force base but not much else. Of course, Sedalia and Warrensburg are nearby, but not exactly big towns. I suppose it depends what you are used to. If you're coming from a big city it may not be your cup of tea.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,973 times
I live in Sedalia and went to school in warrensburg. How well you like this area probably depends a lot on you and expectations. Low stress and crime area, easy access to Kansas City area, low cost of living, mostly good climate but can get a little warm and humid in july/august, warrensburg has a state university and sedalia has a community college, sedalia is the home of the state fair, mostly a rural setting but not really isolated, sedalia and warrensburg have modern hospitals, good hunting and fishing, small town friendliness in all the communities, some red neck type residents but they dont dominate the communities, lots of restaurants ..lots, teacher pay will probably be below national average, knob noster is the home of the B2 stealth bomber... worth being here just to see it go over at times.
hope this helps

Old 12-08-2007, 11:59 AM

4,235 posts, read 21,780,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Knob Noster's kind of out in the boondocks. There's an Air Force base but not much else. Of course, Sedalia and Warrensburg are nearby, but not exactly big towns. I suppose it depends what you are used to. If you're coming from a big city it may not be your cup of tea.
So does Knob Noster not have anything at all to do? That is where Whiteman is right?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:44 PM
jps

79 posts, read 361,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
So does Knob Noster not have anything at all to do? That is where Whiteman is right?

Knob is a small town. If you're coming from Fayetteville, it's much smaller than you're used to, however, Kansas City is an hour away, and there are some bigger small towns (Sedalia and Warrensburg) within 20 minutes or so.

In other words, it's a good place to raise kids, but if you are a young bachelor it may be a bit lacking in immediate entertainment. Then again, that may keep you out of trouble.

My best friend recently retired there. He was a Master Sgt. at Whiteman for the last ten years, now he's a civilian contractor. He loves it there, but he's a native Missourian. Your mileage may vary.

Give it a shot, you may like it. It never hurts to expand your horizons.

Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:47 AM

4,235 posts, read 21,780,114 times
Thanks JPS, yes I am in Fayetteville, but I actually do reside in a small town in Fayetteville called Spring Lake, it has mainly eateries (sonic, pizza hut, mcdonalds, taco bell, subway, wendys, burger king), a wal mart, a junk yard, a few auto mechanic shops, a post office, a few gas stations....all of this is within a 5 mile radius. It's bustling but not sleepy (except sunday mornings ) so if Knob Noster is anything like this I'm sure I'll fit in.

Oh, and what's the houses like in Knob Noster? Are there any rentals? Are they nice? What's the average going rate for houses for rent?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or