Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,035 times

Advertisements

I actually moved here from Nebraska at the end of January. I have had 5 years of management experience at a warehouse, worked with computers the people, good place I have great refrences.. I had some things happen in my life which caused me to have to move to Jefferson City.. I figured with all the stress going on at least I had a solid work history and great refrences. Also operated all kinds of forklifts with 12 years of experience on them. I should be good there. Well it took a little over 2 months to find a job that could somewhat pay bills but unfortunately it was a temp job that I only could be there for a certain amount of time before I had to go somwhere else. I reluctantly took it figured it was something for now until i can get something better. Well I am back unemployed now my time ran out and cant find anything at the moment.. Well no one that is doing any hiring anyways.. Some of my problem is I only have one vehicle and my wife is working, also we have 3 children so in order for me to find work out of town i would have to have a second vehicle which isnt possible currently. So kinda stuck in town. lol ok sorry had to vent. Hope everyone has a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM

195 posts, read 421,141 times
I grew up in Missouri, and I ended up moving to New Mexico for work. I couldn't find anything in Missouri...

Somedays I wish I could have found something in MO, somedays I love New Mexico and don't regret this decision.

Might I add that Missouri is much cheaper to live than most places.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
No advice, but I hope you are able to find work before too long. It's rough only having one car.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,535 times
I'm truly sorry you're having a hard time finding a job. You're just not in a good place for blue-collar employment, especially if your primary skill is operating a forklift. By that I mean that if you were an electrician or plumber, it'd probably be easier. The businesses in JC that traditionally hired factory-type workers, like ABB, are scaling back.

Since your wife has a sufficiently good job to mobilize you guys to move, maybe it's time to think outside the box. My wife just got her iPad screen replaced by a guy who learned how to fix them, iPhones, and other such devices. He brought it back to my office by riding his bicycle. He had a factory job but got laid off. Or you might try Columbia, with the strategy being that once you find a job, quickly line up someone you can car pool with to get to work. If you drive 63 every day like I do to get to work, you quickly learn that there's lots of people heading to Columbia from Jeff, not just the other way-- in fact, there may be more going north than south, people working at MU, the hospitals, and the big insurance companies, just to name three.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 828 times
I've got married recently and I moved to Missouri from Europe. I am searching for a job but it seems very difficult to get one. In my country I was an accountant but then I moved to another country and I worked another job, not related with my profession. Now I realize that I can't get a job because of the lack of experience and continued work in the same area. Even for production or care field nobody is willing to train me.
If you have an advice for me will be very helpful.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri