U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,098 times

Advertisements

So, I am getting medically retired from the military, I will have about 1- 1 1/2 years of nursing school left which I will finish up in WNY as that is where I have been accepted to college and it is close to my family.

My wife and myself are looking at moving after I graduate school. She will be licensed to do medical billing and coding as well has supervisory work with AFLAC.

Our thoughts are is we want a small town, 400-6000 people, within a days drive of a city. We want to be able to get most of our life needs in the town but not afraid to travel a bit for work as well.

Any ideas of areas to look at?

We are looking at Oklahoma, Montana, Nebraska, and Missouri
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 22,969,872 times
You might check out Bolivar, MO and the surrounding smaller towns (depending on how rural you want). Bolivar has a very nice hospital system with plenty of job opportunities for you and your wife. It's relatively unusual to find a good healthcare system in a rural setting. You would be about 6 hours from St. Louis, 3 hours from Kansas City, and 30 minutes from Springfield, MO. I personally know several retired military in the area so you would be in good company. (BTW, thank you for your service!)

Bolivar Chamber Of Commerce - Helping The Area Grow

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,743,494 times
Look down the I-44 corridor starting with Eureka down to Waynesville.
There are several neat areas thru there and you would be close to Ft. Leornard Wood,
Rolla, Washington, Saint Louis, etc. Don't be afraid to get off the interstate a few miles.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,096,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
You might check out Bolivar, MO and the surrounding smaller towns (depending on how rural you want). Bolivar has a very nice hospital system with plenty of job opportunities for you and your wife. It's relatively unusual to find a good healthcare system in a rural setting. You would be about 6 hours from St. Louis, 3 hours from Kansas City, and 30 minutes from Springfield, MO. I personally know several retired military in the area so you would be in good company. (BTW, thank you for your service!)

Bolivar Chamber Of Commerce - Helping The Area Grow
Bolivar is not 6 hours from st. louis....more like 3 hours.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM

6,044 posts, read 22,969,872 times
Yeah you are right...I'm not far off from Bolivar and it usually takes us 5-6 hours...but come to think of it, we stop to eat along the way.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM

367 posts, read 704,258 times
Mercy and Cox health systems have doubled their facilities in Springfield in the past decade. They have plenty of area clinics to explore. The VA facilities and MU rehab buildings in Mt. Vernon (exit 44 on I-44) is a smaller town with a down home feel and a good education system. I'll stop here and let you list specifics since I'm not sure what your relocation priorities are.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,246,632 times
Mercy is building a brand-new hospital to replace the one destroyed by the tornado in Joplin MO. Construction is coming along nicely, with the anticipated finish date in March of 2015. The new facility is located next to I-44 and easily accessible from several smaller towns including Carthage, Diamond, Neosho, and others in Kansas and Oklahoma. Joplin is also home to Freeman Hospital. This area is in SW MO and is a 2 hour drive to Tulsa, about 4 hours to St. Louis, 6 hours to Dallas, 2 1/2 hours to Kansas City, 1 1/2 hours to Fayetteville, Ark and 1 1/12 hours to Branson. Mercy also has a hospital in Carthage and several clinics in the area. A new small hospital is just opening in Galena, KS. There are usually jobs open for qualified RN's in the area.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 PM

367 posts, read 704,258 times
It's said 10% of jobs (probably less now with skyrocketing ad prices) are listed in a newspaper. The Springfield Missouri News Leader has roughly 40% of it's help wanted ads devoted to vacancies in the medical field. Cox employs 6734 people while Mercy has almost 400 on the payroll.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 AM

23,598 posts, read 34,528,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
It's said 10% of jobs (probably less now with skyrocketing ad prices) are listed in a newspaper. The Springfield Missouri News Leader has roughly 40% of it's help wanted ads devoted to vacancies in the medical field. Cox employs 6734 people while Mercy has almost 400 on the payroll.
And Cox just merged with Skaggs Regional Health in Branson and is planning a $100 million expansion so lots of jobs in Branson are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri