Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times

Advertisements

Smtchll: Yup, the way some people talk you'd swear Missouri was part of the Confederacy. I realize that it was a border state, but when it came down to it, it went with the Union. However, Mark Twain always referred to Missouri as 'Southern'. In KC and St. Louis though there is almost zero 'Southern' vibe as far as I'm concerned. Further down south in the bootheel however, the 'Southern' element is far more noticeable.

With that said though, I still consider Missouri to be Midwestern- and NOT Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Smtchll: Yup, the way some people talk you'd swear Missouri was part of the Confederacy. I realize that it was a border state, but when it came down to it, it went with the Union. However, Mark Twain always referred to Missouri as 'Southern'. In KC and St. Louis though there is almost zero 'Southern' vibe as far as I'm concerned. Further down south in the bootheel however, the 'Southern' element is far more noticeable.

With that said though, I still consider Missouri to be Midwestern- and NOT Southern.
yeah and it's like some of these Southerners in MO are trying extra hard to prove how Southern they are by throwing around the word "yankee" all the time and complaining about Californians. That's not even normal behavior in an actual Southern state (ok, for some maybe, but they dont do it all the time like some people on here)

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah and it's like some of these Southerners in MO are trying extra hard to prove how Southern they are by throwing around the word "yankee" all the time and complaining about Californians. That's not even normal behavior in an actual Southern state (ok, for some maybe, but they dont do it all the time like some people on here)
It's alright. I'm recommending our local chapter of the Hell's Angels spend the summer down in Rolla. These boys love to fish

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
Quote:

I never claimed Kansas City and Saint Louis were southern. Obviously you have not been to the ozarks. Keep it that way.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Is this what we are going to argue about now? There are people in Missouri who consider themselves southern and there are people in Missouri (far more) who consider themselves midwestern. Just because someone is not from here doesn't mean they wouldn't be a great Missourian. I don't think most Missouri natives want the Ozarks turned into sprawling cookie cutter neighborhoods with Wal-marts and other big chain stores every few miles. That is just ignorant in my opinion. I feel that there are many people that would consider moving to Missouri that would fit right in and wouldn't want the moronic subdivision sprawl. Many of them are probably from these so called (GASP) "Yankee" states, where ever they are.

I live in Rolla right now for school. It doesn't need a Starbucks or a mall. It does need more people willing to spend their money at locally owned businesses and care about their community instead of whining about the town while they drive the hour and a half to St. Louis every weekend.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I don't think most Missouri natives want the Ozarks turned into sprawling cookie cutter neighborhoods with Wal-marts and other big chain stores every few miles.
Does Rolla have a Walmart, I suppose it does. And most small towns seem to have one too these days. In some of these little towns if ya didn't have the Walmart there would hardly be a damn thing at all. I welcomed another grocery store besides the rip off one the small town had, and it is a chain too. And one can talk about the local merchants, but they aren't open 24/7 either. It's nice to know there is someplace open if one needs it in the middle of the night. Cookie cutter neighborhoods and the sprawl of acres of parking lots happen around larger cities, but not much cause for alarm for most of the state. Probably not gonna be a run on Starbucks and those asking their neighbor if they can borrow some Grey Poupon. As far as the right and the left, I don't like being told how to think by either side. I find extremists on both sides scary.

Anyway this thread has gotten way off course. If it were me, worrier that I am, I'd want to be lining up a job before deciding on my perfect homestead. Of course getting more familiar with the state is smart to do. Good Luck to you.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Does Rolla have a Walmart, I suppose it does. And most small towns seem to have one too these days. In some of these little towns if ya didn't have the Walmart there would hardly be a damn thing at all. I welcomed another grocery store besides the rip off one the small town had, and it is a chain too. And one can talk about the local merchants, but they aren't open 24/7 either. It's nice to know there is someplace open if one needs it in the middle of the night. Cookie cutter neighborhoods and the sprawl of acres of parking lots happen around larger cities, but not much cause for alarm for most of the state. Probably not gonna be a run on Starbucks and those asking their neighbor if they can borrow some Grey Poupon. As far as the right and the left, I don't like being told how to think by either side. I find extremists on both sides scary.

Anyway this thread has gotten way off course. If it were me, worrier that I am, I'd want to be lining up a job before deciding on my perfect homestead. Of course getting more familiar with the state is smart to do. Good Luck to you.
Yes it has a Walmart and you make very good points. I just hate to see small towns lose what makes them unique.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
To me Yankee states can mean anything north of the 13 slaves states and Ok, NM, AZ. DE Even though slave state basically was always an Yankee state, and certainly is today. MD maybe another argument too as it has turned into a liberal mecca and lost heck of a lot more southerness than Missouri has.

I call California Commiefornia! California 50 years ago was not a liberal cess pool. It was once a pretty conservative state. Even Hollywood in the 50s was anti communist. Since the late 60s is when California started going way downhill.

Unless the people moving to southern Missouri are from the conservative areas of rural california I don't want them in Missouri. Even then I don't really want them here. They will further ruin the culture.

I don't want Missouri to become another Maryland.

And Missouri must be the most poorly formed state! You have NW MO that extends way Westward, you have SW MO that is pretty far west and has some western influence along with southern and midwest the further north you go. Parts of South central MO that might as well be merge with AR, Southeast Missouri that has southern parts, and then the bootheel where the southern most part is just a hrs or so drive from the TN MS state line!! St. Louis which is more of an Eastern City and far northern MO in the midwest core.

No wonder why things are so strange in this state due to the different cultural and geographic areas.
And at the end of the day onegoal, Missouri is still an overall midwestern state.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Gunner: likewise. Too many towns throughout the country are looking like "anytown, USA" now. Not because they all have cute little Main Streets in common- but because they all have a Walmart and a McDonalds or two. It's very sad stuff.

To respond to your earlier point though- I agree, I wouldn't deter anyone from moving to Missouri. I understand people being afraid of their culture being diluted by outsiders- but it depends what kinds of people are moving here, and where they are going to be moving.

From the OP's original post, I get the impression that they're moving because they disagree with California's politics and the general state of mind there. They want to move somewhere new to fit in, not to turn it into a mini Los Angeles or San Francisco. Generally, I find that people who want to move to a state, intend to assimilate from the get go. When I originally moved to MO from Australia, I knew it was going to be a transition but didn't intend to try to turn this place into Australia. I was leaving Australia for a reason- that reason being- I didn't like it there. I wanted to like it here, and I loved it.

Besides, if there hadn't been migration into Missouri 100 or 200+ years ago, only Native American tribes would be here. Ever thought about that?

And Imbored- yes I've been to the Ozarks but only on vacation. To live, I'm sticking to my beloved St. Louis so you can fear not

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Gunner: likewise. Too many towns throughout the country are looking like "anytown, USA" now. Not because they all have cute little Main Streets in common- but because they all have a Walmart and a McDonalds or two. It's very sad stuff.

To respond to your earlier point though- I agree, I wouldn't deter anyone from moving to Missouri. I understand people being afraid of their culture being diluted by outsiders- but it depends what kinds of people are moving here, and where they are going to be moving.

From the OP's original post, I get the impression that they're moving because they disagree with California's politics and the general state of mind there. They want to move somewhere new to fit in, not to turn it into a mini Los Angeles or San Francisco. Generally, I find that people who want to move to a state, intend to assimilate from the get go. When I originally moved to MO from Australia, I knew it was going to be a transition but didn't intend to try to turn this place into Australia. I was leaving Australia for a reason- that reason being- I didn't like it there. I wanted to like it here, and I loved it.

Besides, if there hadn't been migration into Missouri 100 or 200+ years ago, only Native American tribes would be here. Ever thought about that?

And Imbored- yes I've been to the Ozarks but only on vacation. To live, I'm sticking to my beloved St. Louis so you can fear not
I wouldn't go as far as say that I wouldn't deter anyone from moving here, but I don't subscribe to the typical "Oh, you are from a blue state, don't come here" line of thought. Missouri is a very diverse state so most people can find a place that works for them in my opinion.

I am originally from Southeast Missouri and I do miss it quite a bit. I admit I have had an impact on Rolla though. I asked for sweet tea at a place here in town and I was told that they didn't have it. The next week I went there and saw that they had began selling it. I guess that makes me one of those damn transplants trying to change everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri