Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are thinking of taking a train there this spring. Anyone done that? Pro's and con's? Kids are getting older. We have taken them out of state per car and plane. Thinking train might be cool. Is that the hip word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
The wife and I are thinking of taking a train there this spring. Anyone done that? Pro's and con's? Kids are getting older. We have taken them out of state per car and plane. Thinking train might be cool. Is that the hip word?
I took a look at Amtrak just now for two adults it was about $388 each would take about 3 days from Sacramento to KC. My dad rode the Amtrak as a narrator over the Sierras people loved it, he loved it. I guess it's just what you and your family would like to experience. My dad always said you see parts of the country that you would not on a drive in a car.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I took a look at Amtrak just now for two adults it was about $388 each would take about 3 days from Sacramento to KC. My dad rode the Amtrak as a narrator over the Sierras people loved it, he loved it. I guess it's just what you and your family would like to experience. My dad always said you see parts of the country that you would not on a drive in a car.
Thinking that too. We looked it up. It's 2 days there from S. California. $1,000 for 5 people. How is the food, I assume you eat on the train not enought time at the stops right?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:51 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
I'm with Marks. Take the Amtrak, but get a sleeper car. There's a dining car on the crosscountry trains too, as well as an observation car with huge glass windows so you can watch the country go by. I took an Amtrak train and paid for a sleeper car from San Diego to Chicago years ago and I LOVED it. Plus, there's nothing like seeing the country with no stress, you really get to appreciate the American Rockies, plains, Midwest, all of it. It's beautiful. And sleeping at night is deep as you're rocked gently back and forth with that constant sound of the train. It's a great experience.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thinking that too. We looked it up. It's 2 days there from S. California. $1,000 for 5 people. How is the food, I assume you eat on the train not enought time at the stops right?
I believe so. Drinks, food, and snacks but I think one meal is included the rest you pay for I think? I don't know how the food is, but I would guess it would be like airline food maybe better. I do not like to fly so I'm thinking train to KC then rent a car

Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'm with Marks. Take the Amtrak, but get a sleeper car. There's a dining car on the crosscountry trains too, as well as an observation car with huge glass windows so you can watch the country go by. I took an Amtrak train and paid for a sleeper car from San Diego to Chicago years ago and I LOVED it. Plus, there's nothing like seeing the country with no stress, you really get to appreciate the American Rockies, plains, Midwest, all of it. It's beautiful. And sleeping at night is deep as you're rocked gently back and forth with that constant sound of the train. It's a great experience.
Great! Were checking it out.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I believe so. Drinks, food, and snacks but I think one meal is included the rest you pay for I think? I don't know how the food is, but I would guess it would be like airline food maybe better. I do not like to fly so I'm thinking train to KC then rent a car
Agree. The flight this Sept'06 from CA-NC wasn't my cup of tea

Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 PM

226 posts, read 999,590 times
I looked into taking the Amtrak and it was going to cost $550.00 for our family of five. Cheaper then flying, but it takes 55 hours on Amtrak from Phoenix to Springfield. It only takes 18 hours to drive. The train sounds fun, but 55 hours is way to long for me.... Will drive ourselfs.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
I looked into taking the Amtrak and it was going to cost $550.00 for our family of five. Cheaper then flying, but it takes 55 hours on Amtrak from Phoenix to Springfield. It only takes 18 hours to drive. The train sounds fun, but 55 hours is way to long for me.... Will drive ourselfs.
Yes, Pam I found that out too. We could drive from Sac. CA to Springfield in 24 hours, but the train would take over three days.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 113,680 times
Default Not choo-choo, but BOO! BOO!

I took the train from New Orleans to Los Angeles once. Okay make that twice, round trip back to New Orelans.

What a drag that trip was. I was unprepared. Didnt take enough food, or MONEY! I was hoping for low cost transportation, but once you're on the train, they got you! Food was expensive. However, there were enough friendly people on-board to make the trip interesting...

But the trip itself, was a bummer for me.

That was 17 yrs ago, I'm 40 now. Would I do it again?

Not yet.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri