Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM

260 posts, read 587,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Interesting. I grew up in Memphis, went to college in the Little Rock area, and lived in Northwest Arkansas for a few years, and it always seemed like the Ozarks were a different kind of Southern than Memphis and Little Rock. So maybe they are 100% Southern, but just a different type. I never noticed much of a difference between Northwest AR and Southwest MO, so I'm kind of putting them in the same boat. But you're right about the geographic extent of Ozark culture in AR. Little Rock isn't Ozark, but once you get north of Conway and out of the River Valley (which isn't very far at all), the Ozark culture starts taking hold.

I guess when I think of "Southern" I think of the King Cotton kind of Southern another poster mentioned, which was the South I grew up with in the Memphis area--you know, the South as featured in The Help and so on and so forth.
Agree to an extent.

I mentioned it before how the Ozarks of AR and far southern MO are different.

They're still in Dixie and part of the south, BUT I call it like a southern lite. It's still southern, but not as bold as lets say the MS Delta, or central AL, or central GA for example. Those places are full blown Dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,221 times
Quote:
Interesting. I grew up in Memphis, went to college in the Little Rock area, and lived in Northwest Arkansas for a few years, and it always seemed like the Ozarks were a different kind of Southern than Memphis and Little Rock. So maybe they are 100% Southern, but just a different type. I never noticed much of a difference between Northwest AR and Southwest MO, so I'm kind of putting them in the same boat. But you're right about the geographic extent of Ozark culture in AR. Little Rock isn't Ozark, but once you get north of Conway and out of the River Valley (which isn't very far at all), the Ozark culture starts taking hold.

I guess when I think of "Southern" I think of the King Cotton kind of Southern another poster mentioned, which was the South I grew up with in the Memphis area--you know, the South as featured in The Help and so on and so forth.
I can understand that for sure! That is what many people associate with the south. Flat land with cotton, soybeans ect. The south is such a large area. There are many different dialects and varying topography. I was amazed recently when I went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee just how similar it is to here. The mountains remind me so much of the Ozarks, and they have a very similar culture and dialect. Even Dollywood, which is in Pigeon Forge....used to be Silver Dollar City!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I can understand that for sure! That is what many people associate with the south. Flat land with cotton, soybeans ect. The south is such a large area. There are many different dialects and varying topography. I was amazed recently when I went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee just how similar it is to here. The mountains remind me so much of the Ozarks, and they have a very similar culture and dialect.
Well alot of the people who settled in the Ozarks were from Eastern TN, VA, western NC mountains. Branson and the area around there also feels to me similar to the smoky mountains as well. Very similar. Except for topograhy the TN mountains are taller in areas.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post

I mentioned it before how the Ozarks of AR and far southern MO are different.
How is that?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
How is that?
They are culturally more Southern than the Northern Missouri Ozarks. I have no idea why that is, it probably has to do with migration patterns. There is more of a German influence in the northern MO ozarks. The southern MO ozarks are more scots irish.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
They are culturally more Southern than the Northern Missouri Ozarks. I have no idea why that is, it probably has to do with migration patterns. There is more of a German influence in the northern MO ozarks. The southern MO ozarks are more scots irish.
True. Especially in the eastern ozarks parts there is more of a Stl influnce too. Like Rolla for example is in the south/midwest transition zone and has midwest influence due to St. Louis.

One thing I notice is the further away from stl you get, the less catholic churches. Especially when you get out of Rolla.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM

yep here is a pretty good map of the ratio of catholics. http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/ima...EeGbmMgAq0yurg

Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
yep here is a pretty good map of the ratio of catholics. http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/ima...EeGbmMgAq0yurg
Here is a better overall map based on the 2010 census that was recently updated from the 2000 version.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
^That map is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
I think it would be neat if Kansas City became absolutely infused by Southerners

Wow. No.
And why not?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM

320 posts, read 611,006 times
^Because it's a bad culture. Low levels of civic investment, disdain for public schools, religious views that emphasize personal salvation and faith in Jesus over good works, too much respect for hierarchal authority, anti evolution and contempt for scientific inquiry that conflicts with their faith, homophobic laws, anti-union pro oligarch economics, bad music, the inability to let insults roll off the shoulder, contempt for city life, and so forth. Not that these are exclusively southern characteristics, but they are far more prevalent in the south than elsewhere. Missouri doesn't need any more of that worldview than it already has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri