Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
Individually most people are nice. But a bad culture is a bad culture. It's hard enough to get the right things done in MO, if at all. We don't need even more cultural force pushing backwards.
Missourians aren't Southerners, first off. Second off, being conservative isn't that bad of a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Well it didn't take long to prove jonse's point. 39 minutes to be exact.

Oh and and welcome back onegoal/and your new forum name this week. How many different names have you used to keep bumping this thread to the front page? Maybe the moderators have grown tired of banning you.
I'm not obsessed with labels. THings are what they are...this is like saying somebody from Mississippi doesn't consider themselves to be Southern or Northern...obviously he would be more Southern..so no, I haven't proved jonsereed's point at all. There's a difference between putting a label on something vs. it actually being true.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:31 PM

260 posts, read 587,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Missourians aren't Southerners, first off. Second off, being conservative isn't that bad of a thing.
Well some Missourian's are southerners though, depending on what part of the state you're in. If you're from Branson, or Sikeston you're not midwestern. THB is from Jackson and considers himself to be southern.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
With the 8th District special election coming up, I have noticed that the Bootheel definitely still has the old conservative Democrat mindset, which is usually a southern trait. An article ran in the Southeast Missourian today about who the Democrats may select to run as their candidate, and many of the comments have been positive about one of the potential nominee's, who is a pro-gun, pro-life Democrat from East Prairie.
Most of the south Minus states like VA, FL, NC which having been trending modern democrat, have been trending Republican at the state and federal level the last 10 or so years.

The delta region is also more the agricultural factor too. Arkansas Ozarks are also republican and TN is too. Doesn't mean they're not southern. The political culture in the MS delta region in the south as a whole still likes conservative democrats compared to the rest of the south. I guess that's part of the old south left in them. I dunno.

SE MO is still begining to trend more Republican since 2008 as Peter Kinder said before. It's slow but it's hapening.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Quote:
Some are

Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Allocating money to the correct areas and placing priority on eduction should be higher up on the list in much of MO. Not investing in infrastructure and other improvement projects until it was absolutely necessary cost the state in economic growth potential. Socially conservative areas are not progressive on many levels, but that often translates directly toward mediocre job growth over time in most smaller cities and rura areas. Suburban job growth often is the result of huge localized and targeted tax breaks, basically corporate welfare. The taxpayers are left to make up revenue gaps if employers move out when the tax base declines.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,221 times
Quote:
OH MY. You would be all over my case if I said something like "Missourians aren't midwesterners." I am actually born and raised in Missouri and proud to be southern. Maybe you should rephrase how you said that? lol......"SOME Missourians aren't southerners".

Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It will only become obvious to stlousian that Missouri is not nearly as Midwestern as he thinks when he moves much further north.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It will only become obvious to stlousian that Missouri is not nearly as Midwestern as he thinks when he moves much further north.
Actually he lives in the Little Dixie area of Missouri and stated he has seen some noticeable southern traits that still remain in the area. I think he said like 40 percent southern/60 midwestern in his area. Actually quite more influence than I always thought. Otherwise when it comes to Missouri, overall I do agree with him 25 percent being in Dixie, 25 percent a transition mix of midwest and southern and the other 50 plain midwestern. Unlike IN and IL MO does have a sizeable chunk that geographically and culturally is still southern. IL the only area that truely is Dixie is the two southern most counties like THB said.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
Well some Missourian's are southerners though, depending on what part of the state you're in. If you're from Branson, or Sikeston you're not midwestern. THB is from Jackson and considers himself to be southern.
Wrong. Where I grew up is unincorporated.

This has to be a record for how long you have been posting with a new username without being banned onegoal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri