Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times

Advertisements

The problem with the census is the DC is working on numbers submitted by mail and house to house census. The people in DC have no idea where anything is located -- and neither do the census takers. For instance there is an area I know well that is actually 7 counties and has been since the area was formed millions of years ago. However it is not attached to only MSA. In theory this makes no difference but in practical theory it does make a difference as it is relates to state and federal funding for schools, road projects and services to people.

In other areas Census throw pieces of surrounding states and makes assumptions to create something no one locally recognizes. I don't know anyone who drives 90 miles for groceries. It's like if "IT is there you must use IT because it is there. It's circular thinking. The reasoning may apply in DC and places that are population saturated, but it does not necessarily apply to rural America or places like Noel, MO., or Jay. OK.. Most of those folks doen't shop in Fayettville, either - which is no closer than Joplin. But this is how they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
I wish the census wasn't so broad though with their regions because I don't think the entire state of MO should be in the Midwest geographically or culturally. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 12,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The problem with the census is the DC is working on numbers submitted by mail and house to house census. The people in DC have no idea where anything is located -- and neither do the census takers. For instance there is an area I know well that is actually 7 counties and has been since the area was formed millions of years ago. However it is not attached to only MSA. In theory this makes no difference but in practical theory it does make a difference as it is relates to state and federal funding for schools, road projects and services to people.

In other areas Census throw pieces of surrounding states and makes assumptions to create something no one locally recognizes. I don't know anyone who drives 90 miles for groceries. It's like if "IT is there you must use IT because it is there. It's circular thinking. The reasoning may apply in DC and places that are population saturated, but it does not necessarily apply to rural America or places like Noel, MO., or Jay. OK.. Most of those folks doen't shop in Fayettville, either - which is no closer than Joplin. But this is how they think.
To answer your message, make sure you stay out of mine. The feeling between us is mutual. So consider yourself disregarded.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhts View Post
Sounds to me like Branson's the only area of the state you have any true knowledge of. Stop trying to speak for the whole state as Southern when all you can really do is speak for your area. The rest of the state is not like the southern quarter of the state.
Wow, you sound very upset. I am sorry you are not polite and have no manners like us SOUTHERN Missourians have. 7 million people visit Branson every year. They get the impression of Missouri as being a southern state. To have 7 million people come to this part of Missouri a year and take back home with them this notion of Missouri, that only cements in their minds that Missouri is a southern state .

Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 AM

Why don't you tell the whole story?

You sent me a rude message for no reason. I replied, "Take your pail, and your shovel, and you insults, and get out of my sandbox. I don't like you."

You chose to respond in a forum. Now everyone knows the whole story. It has nothing whatsoever to do with my comment about US Census, does it?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhts View Post
To answer your message, make sure you stay out of mine. The feeling between us is mutual. So consider yourself disregarded.
I think you said something similar to me a couple of weeks ago. I should still have the message. I wish you would make up your mind.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Wow, you sound very upset. I am sorry you are not polite and have no manners like us SOUTHERN Missourians have. 7 million people visit Branson every year. They get the impression of Missouri as being a southern state. To have 7 million people come to this part of Missouri a year and take back home with them this notion of Missouri, that only cements in their minds that Missouri is a southern state .
Branson, like many have said, is a small part of the state....if they ever visit St. Louis or Kansas City they'd come away with a much different impression of Missouri. And woah, so Southern Missourians are better than other people? I guess it all makes sense...they think they're better, so they speak for the whole state. LOL...Branson belongs in Arkansas, not Missouri.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Branson is a small city in Taney County in Southwest Missouri. Branson has 1/5 of the population of the fastest growing county in the state. .

Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Branson is a small city in Taney County in Southwest Missouri. Branson has 1/5 of the population of the fastest growing county in the state. .
So that makes Branson the best and most representative of Missouri? Wow. One small county. One small city. Goes a long way from representing the state.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM

You said: "Branson, like many have said, is a small part of the state."

I indicated the City of Branson is part of Taney County, and said county is the fastest growing in the state.

BTW, this is great news for Taney County!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
yep southwest missouri is growing. If this keeps happening it will overtake stl and kc in population. 50 years from now the majority of the population for Missouri will reside in the southern portion of the state!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 PM

260 posts, read 587,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
yep southwest missouri is growing. If this keeps happening it will overtake stl and kc in population. 50 years from now the majority of the population for Missouri will reside in the southern portion of the state!!!
But will they be more liberal, and ruin the culture like what happened in CO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri