Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM

620 posts, read 1,222,106 times

Advertisements

Ok and where on that map does it show IOWA is south midland? That's what I was referring to, and the map doesn't show that at all..."South Midland is NOT a variety of Southern dialect. South Midland covers at least half of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, and Kansas, and is bounded on the south by the Ohio River." Also why have your views on the south midland dialect suddenly changed, is it just to try to disagree with me? That was a direct quote you had in the past. Admit it that no where on any of those maps does it show Iowa to be in the south midland dialect region. Please offer me one quote that shows this according to that study.....I'll be waiting.
The North Midland region stretches from east to west across central and southern Ohio, central Indiana, central Illinois, Iowa, and northern Missouri, as well as Nebraska and northern Kansas where it begins to blend into the West. Major cities of this dialect area include Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis, Columbus, Ohio, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis.
PLEASE DISPUTE THIS I AM WAITING.

Last edited by imbored198824; 02-14-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
It was entertaining to drop by the Iowa forum. People there were describing the Southern Iowa counties that border Missouri as having a "light southern accent"...another person said those counties have a "missouri twang". Everything is relative on who you are talking to I guess. I find that quite humorous because to me those people probably sound like they are from minnesota.
A friend of mine from Iowa practically lives on the Missouri-Iowa border. He doesn't have the flat General American accent, he sounds northern. Absolutely nothing southern about it. There are parts of Missouri where he might sound pretty normal, but all of those places are probably north of I-70.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Exactly. It is not south midland speech. I dont know what he was thinking saying Iowa has south midland speech, I am interested to see how he tries to somehow justify what he said, lol.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
Exactly. It is not south midland speech. I dont know what he was thinking saying Iowa has south midland speech, I am interested to see how he tries to somehow justify what he said, lol.
stlouisan is usually pretty accurate. I'm sure it's an honest mistake. I looked at the map and I see what you are saying. I am sure I've seen a different linguistic map that includes the southern quarter of Iowa in the south midland dialect. Never been there so I don't know how accurate it is but like I said the guy I know doesn't even really sound like he speaks south midland.

According to the map that I am thinking of I should have the same dialect as someone born and raised in Omaha, NE. I remember laughing about that. Overall the map that stlouisan posted seems pretty accurate, even if it was based on urban areas primarily.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
I think some rather strong southern influences extend northward and include counties like Saline, Bates, and Lafayette. Historically, these places alligned themselves much more closely with the rest of the South as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM

the fact is the exact dialect study he cites i looked up and those were the findings I posted, which do not include iowa in the south midland dialect region.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,064,668 times
Quote:
the fact is the exact dialect study he cites i looked up and those were the findings I posted, which do not include iowa in the south midland dialect region.
People from Iowa suggested that southern Iowa has a light southern accent. You were the one who stressed this point on me to begin with. That's what made me suggest southern Iowa might be south Midland dialect. And Gunner is right in that some maps do include southern Iowa as having the south midland dialect.

Maybe these people are right or wrong. I made a suggestion, not a claim. If it came across as a claim, I retract it. Please stop this ridiculous attack. Are you happy now, or are you just interested in having a fight?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think some rather strong southern influences extend northward and include counties like Saline, Bates, and Lafayette. Historically, these places alligned themselves much more closely with the rest of the South as well.
Maybe you're right. However, these places are not the South by today's standards.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
stlouisan is usually pretty accurate. I'm sure it's an honest mistake. I looked at the map and I see what you are saying. I am sure I've seen a different linguistic map that includes the southern quarter of Iowa in the south midland dialect. Never been there so I don't know how accurate it is but like I said the guy I know doesn't even really sound like he speaks south midland.

According to the map that I am thinking of I should have the same dialect as someone born and raised in Omaha, NE. I remember laughing about that. Overall the map that stlouisan posted seems pretty accurate, even if it was based on urban areas primarily.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM

694 posts, read 1,348,315 times
Since you guys have finally settled on a parameter to use to 'define the South', I will throw this 'linguistic' study into the conversation

American English Dialects

It appears this chart uses Interstate 44 as the dividing line between Central Midland and Inland South. Not really into the study of how people pronounce words myself, but if you are into this kind of stuff, it appears to be an extensive study, presented in easily understood laymen terms, with numerous youtube links the author uses to make a point, or to dispute his own findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri